SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Plumeria Grafting Experiments

Just wanted to post this to show you my experiments in grafting as of late. I'd be very interested in hearing what techniques others are using (bud vs. whip, etc.).

My project involved preparing the scion and rootstock as shown (a) using a very sharp knife. It's important that white latex freely flows from both pieces. Don't let the cuts heal or dry out. The scions were about 3 to 4 inches long. I haven't had enough experience to know if grafting would be more successful with shorter or longer scions. In a previous graft, I made the 'V-cut' too shallow. I think it's important that the V-cut be quite deep to maximize the contact between scion and host plant. As the pieces heal the plant tissues tend to pull apart a bit.

Once I was convinced the two pieces were a good fit, I used a stick pin to hold them together (b). Then I wrapped several cut rubber bands around the graft area as tightly as I could to assure good contact of the cut surfaces (this is critical).

I then wrapped the grafted area and most of the scion with cellophane wrap to maintain humidity, tying it off at the top and the bottom as well as using extra ties around the grafted area to ensure good contact of the two pieces. I left the terminal tip of the scion uncovered and open to the air. I then placed the plants in a shady location. I'm thinking direct sun would overheat the graft within the cellophane. So far it's been about two weeks and leaves on one graft are already starting to grow so I have my fingers crossed. I'll keep you all posted on what happens!

{{gwi:1159918}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths