SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreajoyames

So, Check Out My Spider Mites

andreajoy
11 years ago

I guess if the goal was to breed spider mites, I would be the queen mother of all breeders! Do you see this mess on my poor beans? Needless to say, I pulled up all of the beans and surrounding plants.

I think I will be losing my zucchini plants very soon.

My question is, how to avoid this problem in the future? I lose my squash, cucumbers, beans, and sunflowers every year at this time. I try new methods each year with no luck. This year was absolutely the worst. I am in a new home this year, so it is a new garden.

What I did this year:

I washed the plants down with water to ensure that I was washing off the mites and aphids. This really didn't work on my bean teepee. (obviously..LOL) It also doesn't seem to work on zucchini or cucumbers, I think because they are prickly? Or maybe I am not spraying them hard enough?

I tried a mixture of buttermilk, wheat flour, and water and sprayed it on the affected plants. This did nothing.

Very early in the season, I tried spinosad. I think this stuff is useless. It had no effect on aphids, thrips, or mites.

In years past I have tried neem and pyrethrin sprays.

I'm beginning to think that striking a balance in the garden might be the answer. I do have native plants growing in the back of the garden. I think I might need to plant other beneficial attracting plants to help this cause.

What is working for any of you? Have any of you had infestations of spider mites and managed to ward them off the next season?

Comments (6)