SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
damonkey007

Direct Sow - Zone 10b

DaMonkey007
11 years ago

Good Morning All,

From what I see in most of y'alls zone info there are not too many folks that grow in my climate, however, I thought that I'd throw out this question to see if I could obtain some guideance. Josh mentioned that Jaime is down this way, but I'm not sure how many others are in a position to offer any advice...but here goes.

I have the distinct advantage that summer immediately preceeds the begining of the growing season here, so I'd like to try to grow my next crop from seeds sown outdoors. I actully just germinated a few seeds outside this week, in about 5 days actually. I used some hab seeds from one of my plants as practice for the more exotic seeds that I'll be ordering.

The obvious challenge is that it rains here basically every day for the next 4 months, there a prehistoric jungle bugs everywhere and the sun is HOT, HOT, HOT. Just as an example: It's going to be 90 today and we got over a foot of rain this week...whaaaat? Soooo, to accomplish this feat, I'm thinking that I will need to provide some protection from rain, bugs, and some level of retreat from the sun - at least for a time. I'm thinking that I'll fashion a portable greenhouse of some sort. Anywho, my main question is regarding direct sunlight. How much direct - zone 10b - summer sun should a seedling get, and at what stage of development should that process start? I've got some time to kill, and I'm working with test seeds, so I really don't mind experimentation or loss, FYI.

Any advice would be most welcome!!

Thanks all!

PJ

Comments (18)

Sponsored