SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

East Coast Posters: Hanna Approach, TS Warning Entire East Coast

As of Friday morning, the Washington Metro area, Baltimore Metro Area, Tidal Potomac, entire Chesapeake Bay, and all along the Atlantic Coast from South Carolina, north to Watch Hill, Rhode Island, was placed under a Tropical Storm Warning.

Hanna is still currently about 100 miles or so offshore, and is still just under Category 1 hurricane strength, with sustained winds of 70MPH, and a central pressure of 978 millibars. Hanna is expected to make landfall somewhere near Myrtle Beach SC, or the southern NC coast, and head north. The storm should be level with and just off to the east of the Washington Metro area sometime around 4-7PM Saturday evening. The first very outter rain bands have pushed through this evening. The main rain / wind shield should begin to arrive sometime around dawn, with the very worst of the flooding rains and tropical storm force sustained winds of 35-45MPH gusting to over 50 and possibly higher at times, sometime around 11am until late saturday evening. Anywhere from 4 to 8 inches of rain is expected, as well as trees and limbs down, and scattered power outages. Last time we got 3.5" in one night last april, we flooded here at my place.

What are you doing to prepare? How are you protecting your plants/ palms? What kind of damage / flooding do you have?

For me, my place floods, so we began preparations early this afternoon. Moving / securing all outdoor items and furniture, as well as putting in place some 50+ sand bags in key areas to prevent water from coming in our apartment. We already had one sizeable tree limb come down in a gusty rain band that came through a couple hours ago. I know many of us in Old Town Alexandria and my neighborhood of Del Ray, as well as Bellview, Bell Haven, are all bracing for the winds and flooding from rains, high tide on the Potomac, and some storm surge on the tidal Potomac. In Old Town Alexandria Sand bags are being handed out at 3 locations, at the water front near King and Union streets, and another location along King, as well as George Washington Middle School here in Del Ray. Preps are under way in downtown Washington DC, along the tidal Potomac, as well as Georgetown in D.C., and sections along the Anacostia river, which is tidal as well. Sand bags are being handed out, and many of the grates or entrances to flood prone subway stations downtown are being sand bagged as well

So let us know whats going on at your place / in your area. Hope everyone, and their palm collections comes through OK! stay safe!

Comments (8)