SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattc19

What is the most fragrant plumeria?

mattc19
16 years ago

Hey everyone,

The first plumeria I bought was from eBay about a year ago after violently murdering it I gave up.... Then about 3 months later i decided to try again so i did some research preped myself... and bought my second plumeria. After about 8 months some aches and pain my plumeria finally flourish and bloomed. Now that i know how to take care of them I would like another. I am looking for one that is very fragrant the one i currently have a has a light sweet fragrance.

Any recommendations?.

Comments (39)

• mrpearson253
    16 years ago

There's always Aztec Gold, a beautiful yellow plumie that smells like ripe peaches (I got my first one this year...and it's blooming!). I hear they're pretty hardy too, which is always a plus if you're worried about it making it through another growing season. :)

Good luck, let us know which one(s) you choose,
    Mark

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I was also going to say Aztec Gold.
    Karyn

• Related Discussions

What Is The Least Fragrant Of The Most Fragrant Roses?

Q

Comments (17)
    I get very little scent from Sombreuil (the large-flowered climber). Occasionally its scent wafts down the side yard where it's planted, but that's it. SDLM is only faintly fragrant to me, too. Blush Noisette is said to be one of the most fragrant, and I barely get anything from it. My allergies diminish my sense of smell, I know. Visitors come to the cemetery rose garden declaring that the scent bowls them over as soon as they get out of the car, and I barely notice it. I had a few days of sinus clarity this spring, and was astonished at the fragrance. The damask scent, fortunately, penetrates my congestion, as do musks and a few of the teas. Anita
    ...See More

the most fragrant plumeria of them all

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Amberlin - I wondered the same thing after visiting Jungle Jack's greenhouse. A flower with a POWERFUL scent was almost undetectable in the backyard. Originally I thought it was the heat... then it hit 96 ... and others chimed in that it was really the lack of humidity / heat to carry the fragrance. Fog is too cool, and here in on the coast we simply don't get balmy (the weather that is). Could that be what you're experiencing? Other flowers that waft, such as Brugs and M. Alba, don't seem to have that requirement. Wish M. Alba was drought tolerant - I'd plant one in a heartbeat. ...diana
    ...See More

Most fragrant plumeria

Q

Comments (9)
    There are so many different fragrances in plumerias that much depends on what scent you like. Celadine is the traditional scent connected with plumerias and is easy to find and grow. Kimi Moragne is a favorite of mine in the spice scent. Jeannie Moragne is peach if cool and rose when hot. Aztec gold is peachy. Charlotte Ebert has a sweet perfume scent. Henry Apples Dupree is a strong sweet. Lemon drop is sweet. Vera Cruz Rose is a rose scent. Kauka Wilder smells like coconut suntan lotion. Singapore (can be hard to grow) is a strong sweet scent. There are so many more.
    ...See More

Most fragrant? Most prolific bloomer

Q

Comments (9)
    My most prolific bloomer is California Sally which puts out basketball sized inflos all summer. My Samoan Fluff pot is totally white in August. Guillot's Sunset is another heavy producer. White with red stripe on back flowers the longest in California (May to Feb). Others are Charlotte Ebert, Thornton Lemon drop, most Moranges especially Kimi. You are correct in that location and age of plant plus growing conditions have a big impact. Fragrance is another story. Like perfumes, everyone has likes and dislikes. In the eighties I took a surf trip to Kauai and camped under a big Celadine. Each morning, the sun rose to the smell of Celadine and fresh coffee. Pure Heaven to me could not be better. My Kauka Wilder is another I can bury my face in and daydream to the islands. Jeannie Moragne and Vera Cruz rose are wonderful. White with red stripe on back is very spicy. Aztec Gold and Penang peach are peachy. I also notice that many plants are more fregrant in the evening, some in the morning and others all day. Some that are labeled with a scent, when I smell i cannot find any standout smell. I grow Mystery and First Love gardenias and double tuberroses for that island magic smell. I would say Celadine and White with red stripe on back are the two best basic starts because both are easy to grow, are lei flower quality, and smell unlike each other, yet most people love both scents. Bill
    ...See More
  • pharoah
    16 years ago

Thanks Musarojo for that list!

Although, I have not had the honor of smelling each and every variety, I can say that Aztec Gold and Penang Peach will literally make your mouth water if you like the scent of Peaches. Seriously, it's hard not to want to eat the flowers. LOL!

As far as the strongest scents, I would say Singapore Obtusa has the power to waft, but it can be a tricky one if you are in colder areas.

Although mine has yet to bloom, I hear Vera Cruz Rose can also fill your yard with it's fragrance.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with good old reliable Celadine. It will always be my favorite for many reasons. It's scent is very special :)

Tony

• malibu_rose
    16 years ago

The lady Clare says that Celadine is her favorite too in the latest Southern California Plumeria Society newsletter.

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Tony,
    I am delighted to say, not knowing a lot about the plants, I have all you listed growing and have purchased, don't have vera cruz.

Just bought penang peach, heard Mike say that was a good one. Those in the ground, from last year, I have Bills celedine, aztec gold, and have bought 3 of the singapores rooted and growing. Regular singapore you said was so fragrant and two dwarf ones. That pleases me that I bought some good ones for fragrance. Now want them to grow and bloom and be able to smell them!!! Also as you recommended last year, pacific pearl is really growing. Bloomed last year, a hope with a double cane, was so fragrant.. playful is growing slowly.
    Karen B.

• kevabear
    16 years ago

Well now this is a bad thing. Now there are at least a hundred more plummies that I want! Up untill now it's been for the look of the beautiful different kinds of flowers. Now it's the scents!
    Lauri

• pharoah
    16 years ago

Karen,
    You will be thrilled with Penang Peach. She is a very low grower so you will always be able to smell the flowers. On top of having a wonderful fragrance, she is my most prolific bloomer with sometimes 50 flowers open at once!! The bloomhead is the size of a basketball!!

Lauri,
    It will only get worse. You will have an entire Plumie grove before you know it!

Tony

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'm glad to hear that the Penang Peach has a nice smell. I have an inflo on mine. Now I really can't wait for it to open.
    Karyn

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Tony and all
    It will be awhile on blooms I believe..Penang Peach and Kimo are small plants, need to do some growing. I just got penang peach, glad to know its habit. Kimo, I have had a couple months leaves are really growing, a double branch one. Penang peach is a single one but leaves are growing..Will watch them now, knowing they are good ones. I am amazed on singapore, its a larger one, the leaves are getting so large, love the thick feel to the very round leaf..deeep green. Daisy is leafing out finally and puu kahea has a inflo!! yea

Great on the fragrance..Thanks Philip for that list, hmmmm which do I buy next!!! ha.
    Karen B.

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

What an excellent list. Some of my favorites are Kauka Wilder (coconut suntan lotion), Jeannie Moragne (rose), Celadine (waxy citrus), red with white stripe (spicey) and Penang Peach (peachy). Bill

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Hmmm.. have Jeanne Morange Jr..very very slow to come out of dormacy. rooted from Maui Gardens, Has one tip finally showing, had it for over 2 months. Why has this taken so long to come out of dormacy?

Do not have Kauka Wilder, will look for that one, have the rest so far described.. Celidine waxy citrus?, interesting describing the fragrance..

How are your plants doing?
    Karen B.

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Karen- You will love your Jeannie- be patient- it is worth the wait. Big flower (4" across) beautiful contrast of red/pink and orange, and that red rose smell. I lost my big one but I have two small replacements so I too am looking forward to its return. Kauka Wilder looks like a shrunken Jeannie (about 2+") but mine smells like Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion and I love that smell (probably reminds me of surf trips to the islands in the 70's). My big one got tip burned in the frost but is coming back, however I do not expect any flowers this year. Bill
    Jeannie Moragne Jr.:
    {{gwi:1168859}}
    Kauka Wilder:
    {{gwi:1168860}}

• john_luvs_frangipani
    16 years ago

I really like that Kauka Wilder. I bought a grafted plant from Luc at Florida Colors last year, and it has an inflo coming out. No blooms yet, but it is close and I am ready to see them!

John

• mattc19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aztec Gold, Kauka Wilder, Penang Peach, Sound AWESOME I found Kauka Wilder on ebay im thinking I will purchase. Thanks guys for the recommendations. If any of you guys are around the San Antonio, Tx area and are selling let me know or if you are selling and could ship that would be nice I would love to buy.

Matt

• Serinus
    16 years ago

Ok this is a very speciffic question but I'm very curious!. About the Peach fragrance of 'Aztec Gold'. Is it like a synthetic or canned peach?...Like a fresh fuzzy peach?...Any other floral notes in it?

• pharoah
    16 years ago

Serinus,
    It's like a fresh fuzzy peach, and I know this may sound odd, but once in a while it smells like buttered popcorn.

Tony

• Serinus
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know Tony!. Well after finding out that my Jasminum volubile smells like "Dry Dog Food" at certain stage of the opened flower I don't find Aztec Gold's buttered popcorn smell odd at all :0). I have an Aztec gold and can't wait for it to bloom!.

BTW. I have a pink Plumeria tree in my backyard that my best guess is "Keiki" that smells wonderful. I've yet to find it's true ID, but although the intensity of the fragrance is medium, it has a lovely complex fruity/floral fragrance. A creamy white floral heart with that characteristic "lactonic" character of Tuberose that is reminiscent of "coconut", but definitely not suntan lotion with subtle hints of citrus and spice. Pure tropical heaven!

There are two fragrant Puerto Rican wild plumerias with very distinctive fragrances. One is Plumeria alba that has a "salycilate orchid" white floral heart very similar to Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). The other is a form of Plumeria obtusa with very narrow white petals that smells just like orange blossoms.

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Just bought Kauka Wilder today, anxious for it to grow, great it has a good fragrance. Jeanne has finally opened a claw, was concerned about it, stayed too dormant.

don't know if a first year rooted will bloom, sure hope so. Thanks for the picture of Jeanne, copied it.

Karen

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Just bought Kauka Wilder today, anxious for it to grow, great it has a good fragrance. Jeanne has finally opened a claw, was concerned about it, stayed too dormant.

don't know if a first year rooted will bloom, sure hope so. Thanks for the picture of Jeanne, copied it.

On Marilynns nursery plants, do you have to transpant them, with a better soil? Most I buy at nurseries have lousy soil.

Karen

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Marilynns plants are usually very good. She used to be in Garden Grove but she kept getting ripped off so she moved to N. San Diego county. Some of my early plants were from her and I know my Kauka Wilder was one of them. I do not recommend moving plants unless they look cramped. I would wait until early fall to transplant or if it flowers, after it finishes. I think it is best to get your plant happy and healthy before messing with it. However, you can transplant any one year plant now with little danger. Bill

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Bill
    thanks on the transplanting, thought I had to always put in better soil. Some from ARmstrong are in a soil like sawdust.

2 questions: I think I read too much, ha.. I have been reading about using spray n-grow as a foilar feed..That will double the growth and flowers. I can't find it.

I use Hawaii Bud and Bloom, middle number 50, plus ST, going to use epsom salt

. Going to Armstrong, Sego a hawaiian nursery, been there for ever and Green arrow, say "I don't need spray n- grow" Every nutrient I need is in Hawaii Bud and Bloom. Don't know. I can't compare my plants to anyone else, no body around me feeds their plants. MOst of my leaves are about 6".. is that normal? some just starting.
    Karen

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

I'd have to say the strongest scent on mine is from 'White Pinwheel'. It is also a strong grower and vigorous bloomer. The scent is typical plumeria. Second place goes to 'Dwarf Singapore Pink' partially because it has so many blooms open at once. This is even though I have more than a dozen other varieties with a target at fragrance.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Congrats on your first flowers.
    Right now I am in love with the way aztec gold smells. I am fairly certain that the 5 ft unknown (supposedly pink) plumeria tree that I have has turned out to be aztec gold or some dirivitive of it. It has 3 3/4 inch across very yellow flowers with more golden tones in the center. It has a pink stripe on the back of the flower that is only noticeable when the flower is first opening. It has a very strong fresh peach fragrance that does not fade when the flowers mature.
    Thanks for posting the list of the fragrances, I must save that list for future reference :)
    I think my next one is gonna be kauka wilder as I have been looking for one with a good coconut smell.
    ~SJN

• mattc19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just bought a Kauka Wilder which sounds awseome!... its a cutting though I hope it roots.... Now i want Aztec Gold. Temps are 81-91 day and 67-72ish nights is it okay to leave outside during the rooting process in these temps?

• pharoah
    16 years ago

Karen,
    You do not NEED Spray n Grow, but it does do a little extra stimulating. True, most of the important nutrients are in your fertilizer, but there are many other trace elements in Spray and Grow that for whatever reason do seem to help. We all know that these trees in nature bloom just find without any fertilizer, but we like to baby them.

You can order it online at spray-n-growgardening.com

Mattc - Where are you located that you are lucky enough to have nights that warm already? At any rate, in those temps, yes, it is fine to leave them out.

Tony

• mattc19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tony, I live in San Antonio tx.

I forgot too ask.. Its pretty humid here, Dose that help with rooting?.

• pharoah
    16 years ago

Mattc,
    You are in an ideal area for Plumeria. Yes, humidity helps big time! I think you get colder in the winter so you have to bring them in, but by all means root away outdoors.

Tony

• lc4273
    16 years ago

the plumeria that i have found most fragrant was the white with yellow inside.i have only been near the full yellow, full pink and that one but the white and yellow smell so good!

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi,
    thanks Tony.
    Karen

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Karen- When you go to Armstrongs look for growmore Seaweed extract. I agree with Tony that Spray n grow is a good product but it is a hastle to use. You need a 1 or 2 gallon sproy bottle from HD and then you put in warm water and add coco wet and 2 oz. per gallon. Wait 15 minutes then pump up and spray. For you you can fill a trash can with water and let it sit over night (evaporates the chlorine). Then add an ounce of seaweed extract and a tablespoon of superthrive. Mix and dip in your watering can and use this to water your plants. Every two weeks mix in a tablespoon of Hawaiian blend per watering can or every week mix in a half tablespoon, This is an excellent overall blend. The seaweed and ST give a wide range of vitamins and minerals and are very soft on plants. The fertilizer gives you the bloom boost. If you add sulpo mag or epsoms salts you only need to do this once every 2 months. Remember to flush your pots on a warm morning every 2 months to remove any accumulated salts and check the holes for root growth plugging them. I also think misting your plumies in the morning and afternoon is very good. Use the mist dial on a hose sprayer or get a spray bottle. If you mist with spray n grow you can do it weekly or every 2 weeks during the bloom season. Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: spray n grow

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Tony and Bill,
    thanks so much have copied and pasted, will read this and follow it. appreciate the information. Got the sprayer.
    Karen

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Bill,
    I just re-read your instructions. Now on the seaweed extract/ST.. You said fill trash can? what size? Can I keep this water mixture in it, and water as needed? or have to throw it away..un-used? and mix again?

I always throw away un-used fertilizer.
    Karen

• Kevin Olsen
    6 years ago

I have at least 15 potted plumeria plants that I grow in northern Utah. I have a large Aztec Gold that really blooms well each year. It keeps it's leaves during winter and so it tends to bloom well during summer. As others have commented in earlier posts, it smells more like buttered popcorn that a sweet citrus smell. Not my favorite, but the flowers are sure beautiful! My favorite out of the ones I grow so far is Dwarf Deciduous. Large flowers and a wonderful fragrance. I agree that the white flowered plumeria with a yellow center seem to have the best plumeria fragrance.

• Wulan Beaudoin
    6 years ago

hi so envy of you,can you share how not to kill your plumeria? thank you:)

• naomistreetmom
    5 years ago

In the plumeria world, the two best choices are San Germaine and Vera Cruz Rose. I own the SG and it is amazing in smell, beauty, growth pattern and a heavy bloomer. Owning a VCR is on my bucket list.

• ronaldsach
    5 years ago

WOW... great thread... bought my 1st '2' in hawaii 3 years ago and brought em home (new york) - had flowers the 1st year on one, the other died - going back to maui in nov, and the plan is to bring 1/2 dozen diff varieties home... espec looking for fragrant flowers...

• blulagoon
    3 years ago

I highly recommend Inca Gold. It has what I describe as a classic 'frangipani' fragrance, similar to Celadine and Singapore, and is almost as strong. It definitely has a 'waftability factor'. I have to say as far as fragrance goes, it is the best of the ones I have. And Iike that it is a pure, solid, bright yellow, instead of mostly white like Celadine. My second is my Key West Red, which is a gorgeous deep red, and smells like roses. Miami Rose is next, while I love the fragrance;coconut, it is very light and doesn't project at all. And I like it's deep pink color. I have to say my biggest disappointment has been my Kauka Wilder. Not only does it not bloom every year, its fragrance is very disappointing. While it is amazing to look at, and I think the colors are even deeper and more intense than they were when it first bloomed, it goes from not having much fragrance at all, to having one that I don't find very appealing. The first time it bloomed, two years ago, I thought the fragrance was kind of a weak version of a blend of rose and jasmine, but this year, I smelled it this afternoon and it had hardly any fragrance at all. I smelled it tonight when I got home from work, and while it had a bit more fragrance, it had that jasmine/rose aspect, but I also smelled radishes! I've smelled a radish or nasturtium-type scent on plumerias before and I find it very odd and unappealing. I remember going to the Dean Conklin Grove on Oahu years ago and smelling what was called a Kauka WIlder tree and loving the fragrance; it smelled like a tropical fruit salad or punch. I vowed I had to have one. I wonder if it was a different tree I was smelling? I've heard that many of the trees in that grove are mislabeled.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    3 years ago

I've had Celadine in a pot since 1998. So,there you go..scent and hardiness,long lived too.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022