SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deconovice

help! what is killing my plants?

deconovice
16 years ago

I always thought I had a black thumb but my partial shade front yard is getting ridiculous. I have several hostas planted in different places (which I've been told are tough to kill) as well as 2 hydrangea bushes. I planted all of them about 6 weeks ago. I was trying to be good about watering 3-4 times a week. About 1 1/2 weeks ago, we got several nights of heavy downpour, and many of the hydrangea blooms turned dark brown, the leaves now have brown spot/holes (i cut the dead blooms off)and one of my hostas suddenly had about 5 leaves turn brown & fall off. I kept watering & hoping for the best, but it has only gotten worse. In addition, 2 trees on the side of our house (which I would assume have been there for at least 4-5 years prior to us moving in last year) turned brown over the winter & stayed that way.

So is my problem watering, pests, soil...??? Ugh. I don't notice a lot of critters except squirrels around.

Here are some photos, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hydrangea leaves:

Hosta #1 (was not like this 2 days ago, note the big chunk out of the one leaf):

Hosta #2 (the one whose leaves turned brown & fell off last week)

Hosta #3 (edges turning brown, on its way...???)

Tree on side of house:

Comments (2)