SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

Keeping sparrows away?

ncage
12 years ago

Guys, last year was the 1st year this happend. If this isn't the correct forum to post this. Last year something was tearing my peppers to shreds. Almost all the peppers looked like they had been nibbled down and almost all the leaves had been torn off. At first i thought it was rabbits but there has always been rabbits in my garden and they had never did any damage before. So one day i'm looking out my window and i see sparrows of all things tearing the leaves off my peppers.

I thought the peppers would recover but they never did. So i'm really trying to think of an idea to solve it this year. I tilled about a week ago. Today i looked out and i noticed there were plenty of birds being attracted to my garden when there is nothing in it include robins, cardinal, & sparrows. I'm trying to figure out what attracts them so much so i can prevent my peppers being attacked this year. I only can come up with two things:

1. I don't have a compost barrel. I just through my vegetable scraps on top of the garden. Its not like there is that much compost there but there is some. Maybe the little compost i have is attracting the birds? Maybe if i delay putting compost in the garden until at least the peppers are hardy enough that hte sparrows won't bother them?

2. I usually put all of my grass clippings on my garden to control weeds & to fertilize the garden. I haven't put any on yet this year but last fall there was a lot of grass laying on my garden. Maybe the seeds from the grass are attracting the birds?

3. Like i said i just tilled. I need to till again so i can till in both peat moss & fertilizer. Maybe i should till this weekend to make sure i don't bring up any more fresh seeds or anything that the sparrows would like to feed on?

What do you guys think? Like i said in previous years this never happened but my garden is the biggest its been 30x20 and while i did put some grass on the garden it wasn't to the quantity that i put on it now and i didn't put compost on top of my garden either.

any help would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored