SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamasd

Hardy Seeds cont.

ProudMamaSD
11 years ago

Emily, your poor seedlings!! I didn't realize how good I had it here in SD. I've not heard of Spinosad, but I truly hope it works.

Here's a few pics, there are a few getting substantial looking. When do I move them up a size?

Mostly Mardi Gras Seedlings:

Another angle:

And these two are from you Emily, look how well they've done!! And they were literally wilted little nothings when I got home from my trip.

Congrats on your Kimo Kim, you'll have to let me live vicariously through you since I gave mine away. (still shaking my head on that one, why didn't I give her my HAusten white which was a freebie??)

Earlier today I did a fairly significant root pruning on a large tree, my back is aching. It just suddenly wasn't doing well, growing large blooms but unable to open. Then some leaves started dropping, I got worried about the soil quality and went at it. YIKES. I am afraid and hoping it thrives.

Hope all of you are well today!

Wendy

Comments (97)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Hello Wendy! All mine is doing fine. Cuttings are sprouting more leaves and the seedlings are growing taller. Thumberlina has 13 leaves so far and my Penang Peach has 1 bud that is about to open. I can't wait to see what it looks like. As soon as it opens I will post a picture. :)

How about everyone else?

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I haven't forgotten about you all!!! I have been busy, then sick, then busy again. But, I'm getting a little frustrated as a few of my cuttings seem stalled. I don't know what the deal is...I started out great, things were almost there...and then a few of them just aren't doing much. I cut inflos off of 3 plants, expecting a crazy leafing spurt and that hasn't really happened. Some seem stalled for no real reason. I started out early thinking I would have these lush plants by now but most of your plants are way ahead of mine, even in cooler climates or ones started way after mine. :(

• Related Discussions

Hardy, Half-Hardy, Hardy/Half-Hardy. . .is this Laurel and Hardy?

Q

Comments (6)
    poetmama, there are some excellent lists at the Wintersowing FAQ's page, including lists of hardy annuals ideal for wintersowing. Perennials can be sown now as well as hardy annuals. When I began wintersowing, I printed out Trudi's list of hardy annuals and kept it handy. I wouldn't wintersow half hardy annuals, but they can be spring sown. The term "half hardy perennial" usually means those of us in warmer zones can expect a plant to be perennial while in colder zones, such as yours, the plant won't perennialize. In the FAQ's, there are zone specific lists of perennials safe to wintersow. I'll include the link below~ Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing FAQ's
    ...See More

UPDATE: Seed Purge 2014 (cont.) Part 3

Q

Comments (148)
    Bumblebee, Sent mine out today. Watch out for the Bee on the package. I couldn't get him off. =) Figured he may enjoy the ride! I'll send you the tracking info in just a little bit. It says it should be there on the 17th. I was surprised. I put 6 stamps on it, then thought... I better run it by and see if that's enough. The lady said $2.50 would do the job. At the same time taking that stamper and making sure every single stamp got the ink. I mean, I think she actually hit it 6 times. Got sticklers here, lol! I put $4.00 in the package. If anyone comes short and there's enough left - you can put it towards theirs. I know it's not much, but it adds up.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Seed Purge 2014 (cont.)

Q

Comments (150)
    @garrett you know- i just dont know if they can cross. ??? i had been assuming they couldnt because they are different species, i had assumed sweet cherry can cross with sweet cherry, and black cherry can only cross with other black cherries, but now that you point that out i am just not sure. the royal ann cherry tree would possibly cross with the other red sweet cherry pictured behind the black cherry, but i had the idea that black cherry is so particular ( as well as very old, stable and not hybridized being a native feral tree) and different than the sweet cherry species that it should remain true to type. stone fruits in general are usually true to type, or at least very close to the parent.cherries can be a bit weirder than the rest (peaches and apricots produce true to type usually) but some cherry species reverts back to its wild cherry ancestors sometimes. this is a wild cherry, so it has nothing to revert back to =) and here, is a picture of the red sweet cherry too, i took a picture of that one as well as the new gardens i am putting in and working on slowly (before pics!) yesterday. here, if you feel like browsing some more pictures: [url]http://s896.photobucket.com/user/leilahamaya/library/happy%20garden [/url] anyway this other cherry tree is still going along but its having some bad insect problems. while the black cherry is completely unaffected by it. we have a dozen or more sedling trees of varying years of age from both this sweet red cherry and the royal ann cherry. none of those are in fruit yet though. they are probably crosses of the two sweet cherry, though some should be more like the red cherry, and some that came from the roayal ann should have the golden tones of the cherries like the royal ann. quote: ----->>>>Thank You Leila! I saved it to my laptop. Pretty cool to have a picture of the parent tree! With how close they are, I wonder if they could have crossed? Who knows, 1 out of 15 per chance? Hey, now can you get a picture of the other one? Hee hee, that's a joke! I really am kidding about that. That is a very healthy looking tree too. I really do appreciate you taking the time to take a pic!!! Thanks very much! Here is a link that might be useful: my garden pics
    ...See More

purple datura seeds, hardy hisbiscus seeds

Q

Comments (9)
    Judy, where do you live? I have alot of these plants coming up in my flowerbeds. They are are double/triple purple. My husband killed the ones in the grass , but I still have quite afew in the beds. I can't bring myself to pull them out. I do not want to mail, must pick up. I also have about 1 lb of seeds, from all 4 of my plants, they did not freeze this year, and bloomed all thru the winter, I have my plants in Rockport. I live in San Antonio, so if you are close please email me. I agree its too late to plant seeds, they take forever to come up. Barbra,
    ...See More
  • Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

And here are the photos of penang peach:

Almost open

What it looks like as of now:

Even though it doesn't have it's true colors, I still think it looks good. It fascinates me how it smells exactly like a peach, that's what tickled me the most. :)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

KIM!!! Look at all of your amazing plumie action over there!!! The Penang bloom is beautiful! Have fun with your new seeds too, can't wait to see them go. I want to plant more seeds but I have been growing Adenium seedlings too, and those are just as addicting - it's all Wendy's fault!!! LOL!!!

Wendy, you're also doing a fantastic job with your plants, I can't believe how beautiful they are!!! It's a workout to water them all, that's for sure - since there's usually something to be added it's not just as simple as bringing out the hose.

Ya know, since I have been spraying with the Spinosad my seedlings are looking SO much better - I also have to spray the tips of my cuttings. (which reminds me, I need to spray, DOH!)If you see any deformed leaves or flowers or leaves with irregular edges, that's a sign of thrips. I'm glad to hear your spray down is helping with whatever was affecting your plants.

I'll try to post some pictures soon, I promise!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I was spraying my plants last night and my seedlings are something else - I will have to look closer this weekend but I saw that some of my Kimi M.'s were also branching and possibly a Thai Mango Blush branching as well. That would be 4 or 5 varieties branching so far, I'll have to look at the rest.

It's also time for me to take some of the ones 2 and 3 to a pot and give them their own pot so I will hopefully take some pics this weekend too.

Having them bounce back and look good and healthy just gets me itching to plant more seeds!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness something is helping them, I was very worried there for a bit!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Why and what is the concentration of the Spinosad you are using? My seedlings (4) are starting to get the second leaves. My Lanis beauty has so many leaves and looking wonderful. I bought a cutting on ebay that is suppose to be pale pink, it is getting more leaves started. I cant wait to get a flower but that I guess will be a year or two. I will get pics later.

Mindy

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Here is some of my seedlings and cuttings

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

LOL

I'm not going to say anything other than how cute your seedlings are, Minderella! :)

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Moonie,

what is funny?

Mindy

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, Mindy. When I first saw the worms... they are worms, aren't they? :)

Sorry. I'm getting old, my eyes aren't so good

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mindy, is that a hot dog in with one of your seedlings?? LOL

Emily, what to say about your stalled situation? I've gotten brave, or sensitive after my hubby gave me a hard time about moving everything around all the time, and have left all but my brand new cuttings outside and they are absolutely doing better than spending the night on the heat mat- where are yours overnight?

I resisted cutting the infos and it seems that the leaves are starting to slowly grow out. We've got a bad case of June Gloom here in San Diego which isn't doing us any favors.

Kim- it is INCREDIBLE that Penang Peach smells so peachy. I gave my husband a sniff and that was the first word out of his mouth. The blooms are smaller than I anticipated, but not sure why I expected them to be larger.

Side note, has anyone noticed that the color of the inflo is closely related to the color of the flower? My Thai Splash inflos are all dark red, my Inca is a yellow/gold color, etc.... kind of neat. I am excited by this theory as remember that beautiful tree I 'accidentally' picked up at JJ's? Well the inflos are getting reddish, so maybe it is something neat?!?!!? We should know by the end of the month, I HOPE. My mystery MPG cutting is also quite close to blooming, and looks lovely as it right now, I should snap a photo. IT looks like we can now upload photos directly through Gweb, how super convenient!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

It is a ceramic worm. It is for moisture. Here is a forward pic.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Mindy, the product I have is 4 tbs. per gallon. The worm is adorable! LOL!

Wendy, thats interesting about the difference in being moved in and out versus stationary. I've been able to leave mine out for a while now but did that every day for quite a while! I'm sure it is ideal for them just being left alone- earlier in the season though you don't really have a choice because it's so warm in the daytime and you have to take advantage! What are your nighttime temps now?

I've been really trying to figure out the stall and I did see that my Penang Peach, which has done pretty much nothing - and was my first non-MPG purchase has an inflo trying to come out, so maybe that's what's stalling an already slow grower? It's not soft or dark, it just isn't leafing and the most minute bit of clawing, but then now there's the little inflo, too small to nip. I think the mystery with the inflo I cut is trying, it's just super slow? Not soft or dark. Jeannie Cecile seems to be getting longer leaves now that the inflo was cut.

My Kaneohe Sunburst tipped over for the 2nd time (thank god it didn't break the tips) so I decided it was time for drastic measures - I transplanted to a larger pot and it's a good thing - it was getting rootbound in it's first, smaller pot. I saw little roots coming out of the bottom but this one also had a lot of leafing.

My seedlings I planted 2-3 months ago were rootbound, I had to transplant them into much larger containers - heads up fellow seedling growers! They were in smaller Azalea pots and I had to plant them in pots much larger!!!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

elucas101 - My Penang Peach took a little bit to start too, maybe 2 weeks or so. Now it's doing just fine. I finally have 1 leaf opened and many more to open soon. ;)

And for other news, I have a inca gold bloom. Not has yellow as I hoped for but yet again it can't stand full sun as of yet. :) It has a smell, but I'm not quiet sure what it smells like. I heard it smells like jasmine, but Im not familiar with that flower or it's smell. I don't really know how to describe it.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Ladies!!!

I just love all of the pics...

KIm.. Your Penang Peach is just lovely!! Isn't it wonderful to smell that peach scent? I love it!!!

Mindy,

You seedlings look great too! LOVE the WORM!! : ) i also had to chuckle out loud at the worm... i have not seen those before...especially at the side view.. They look wonderful!!! I also thought of "hotdog.." : )

Emily... your trees are probably just adjusting.. Im sure you will see growth again soon!

Wendy.. How are you!!! Love your pics too!

Hi Moonie!!!

Question? Where did you all find the Spinosad? I can't seem to find it here in my area.

Thanks for all of the updates... Everything looks great!!

Take care,

Laura

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Yes it is Laura! I don't like to eat peaches but man, I could sit there all day sniffing it. Every time I'd go by it, it'd get a sniff from me. It's been in bloom for about 4 days now an I still smell a faint peach scent. My sister was even amazed too.

But my mom that's a different story. She has yet to be amazed by plumerias, even their wonderful fragrances. She likes to call them "jungle flowers". LOL

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Laura, mine was Green Light lawn and garden spray with Spinosad, I believe. I had to look at a local nursery, it wasn't available big box. There are a few products that have it in there so they will go by another name usually and then say "with Spinosad" or something similar.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I thought it was a hot dog too. I found pretzels in my philodendron the other day... So why not a hot dog in the plumerias.

Penang Peach is my best performer. Congrats on the bloom.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Inca Gold is now blooming for me. So far I have 2 blooms, one on each tip. :)

I agree about PP kms2. It's a defiant must have. I loved mine, even though I just had one bloom. ;)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Kim, great job with those blooms! Inca Gold is probably my favorite yellow!

Here are a few picture updates of my cuttings!
    My Kaneohe Sunburst, which had to be repotted this weekend due to tipping over TWICE and being a bit rootbound. Much more stable now, and at least I know for sure, she is rooted!
    {{gwi:1166543}}

Kimo, with the blooms and Kimi Beauty.
    {{gwi:1166546}}

Kimo bloom :)
    {{gwi:1166549}}

Penang Peach which I recently realized is starting an inflo, which may explain it's painfully slow progress. I'm FINALLY starting to see a tiny bit of clawing. This was potted before many of my cuttings that are much more leafed. It looked almost sealed up at the tips and I confess, I picked at the tips a tiny bit to try and stimulate it.
    {{gwi:1166552}}

Gloria Schmidt.
    {{gwi:1166555}}

Maui Beauty on the left, and it's really hard to tell but it has a DOUBLE inflo!!! I think that's my mstery on the right (that's the one I had to cut the inflo off of because it was so stalled. Mystery was potted the same time as my Knaeohe Sunburst, Maui Beauty way after, so you can see the huge difference in progress.)
    {{gwi:1166558}}

Gina on the left, Loretta on the right.
    {{gwi:1166561}}

Jeannie Cecile on the left, which I also had to cut an inflo off of - finally getting some good leafing action. Gloria snuck in on the right:
    {{gwi:1166564}}

My other mystery cutting, with Kimi B. in the background:
    {{gwi:1166567}}

Pauahi Alii:
    {{gwi:1166569}}

And I'll post some seedling update pics, I tried but they are kind of hard to see unless I close up on each one - here's one of my crazy branching Intense Rainbow seedlings:
    {{gwi:1166571}}

• Minderella
    11 years ago

elucus101,

How old is the branching seedling?

Mindy

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy, this particular one germinated on 4/2 and I just moved it up from an approx 5" pot to a larger pot. I need to take pictures of all of my seedlings to show the differences, it's amazing how different each seedling can be!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I am 2 months behind you. Mine germinated on 6/9. I have had them outside for aout 2 weeks.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I have one question or should I say I'd like to have advice on.

Since my bill moragne had slight wrinkles, it made me concerned about it (I'm a worrier to begin with!) so I decided to check the soil & the cutting by carefully peeping (b/c its notorious to be a hard rooter) at it an I noticed it had 1 tiny root on one side. A couple days later I wanted to see if the other side had any so I know wither to water it more or not and the other side has a couple roots (maybe more?) too but a little longer than the other ones, I'd say maybe 1/2 an inch give or say. Should I be worried about the wrinkles? Does it want more water now that it has some form of roots? Or should I stay to watering around the rim due to these hot temps when the dirt appears dry? To my recollection, it didn't get wrinkles until the temps got to about 90F where it gets full sun anywhere from 12 noon to about 7PM. I also noticed there wasn't any wrinkles on the cutting that was submerged in the dirt, they are only apparent on the top & 1/2 down the cutting. My neon lights was sort of like this a couple days ago when I discovered that my dirt was bone dry so I gave it some water around the rim b/c it's currently in the process of rooting an I noticed that the wrinkles weren't as apparent anymore and that it firmed back up (just a slight give, which BM sorta has). What do you think I should do??

BTW, Thumberlina & Penang Peach has rooted! :)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Oh I failed to mention that is has 5 5-7 inch leaves now too.

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kim, I would hate to lead you astray since I am knew, but I have noticed that watering, a full watering, when I see roots has significantly contributed to the growth of my cuttings. I felt ok to take such a risk from watching the bag rooting tutorial on the PSA website in which they note a benefit to using the bag rooting technique is the ability to water sooner. So that's my two cents.

All of my plants are rooting well, but I seem to have a stall on candy stripe and Siam Ruby. Siam was pushing a heavy inflo and throwing some incredible flowers.... I cut it this morning. My hubby caught me in the act and was mortified, I think he was concerned I may have lost my mind as he knows how I treasure my blooms. So that likely explains the Siam, but what's up with candy stripe?? It put out probably 10 small unopened leaves on each of the two tips, but now nothing is progressing. Any tips?

Penang Peach is rooted and blooming up a storm! Here's a pic...

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

My mystery cutting did that too, only it put out maybe 2-3, then never did nothing. So I decided to take it outside one day and leave it an it is doing wonderfully now. Has at least 2 rows of leaves now plus an inflo that should open I'd say within 2 weeks or less. For my Bill Moragne, sometimes it takes maybe a week to open a new leaf. I guess they all go at their own pace.

Now how about that Penang Peach? Doesn't that baby smell like heaven?? Oh I loved mine, it was delicious even though I don't like peaches. After the inflo was done, it is putting out 2 branches, maybe 3, not sure, but I know I defiantly have at least 2.

My neon lights has about 7 or so leaves opened now. It is truly benefiting from this warm weather. :)

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats, Kim! Things are going great for you. Yes, Penang is a delight. :)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Thought I'd share a photo of my mystery's inflo. Its either gonna be a pink or a red I believe. :)

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Is it true if you water too much, the cutting will just produce leaves?

Mindy

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Wendy, that Penang Peach is just LOVELY!!! And congrats on yours too Kim!!! My Penang is stalled...VERY stalled. After a while of doing pretty much nothing it did finally push out a little inflo and as soon as it was tall enough I clipped it off :( This cutting is really behind the rest, big time. On the other tip it was almost smoothing over so I scratched it a little until sap came out a few times trying to stimulate it. It has a bit of color on the tip now and hopefully with that and the inflo gone I can get some progress.

My mystery cutting that was shooting out that giant inflo still hasn't done much since I cut off the inflo either. My Jeannie Cecile is finally starting to make some real leaves since the inflo was cut, it's just slow going. She's got more than the other two though at least! All of my others are doing great and doing their thing, getting leafier!

My Maui Beauty opened a few blooms for me too even though it's not fully rooted yet! I may cut this one after a few blooms too just to speed it up. I took no less than 6 pictures of this bloom to show you all and NONE of them turned out!!!

However, I did come home to a lovely show yesterday from NOID white I bought at HEB a year or two ago - Celadine? - and the smell is AMAAAAAAAZING!!!!!!

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooohs and ahhhs from me, I love how the yellow streaks out like that, and the fragrance sounds lovely.

Not a bad idea about poking it to stimulate a little, I am going to give that a try, thanks Emily!

My seedlings are unusual, they've all been transplanted and survived that just fine, but they are all SO dark. There's growth but not quickly like it was at first. Does everybody stil have their seedlings out in the sun??

Best,
    Wendy

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Thanks Wendy! I was really excited to see this bunch because for one thing I root pruned this plant pretty well and wasn't sure how it would do, but also because I don't think I've ever had that many flowers open at one time on a plant!!!

On the poking - someone suggested a very light scraping with sandpaper can stimulate and even induce branching! I did my scraping by fingernail before I read that - do you have one that's trying to smooth over?

My seedlings are still in the sun and doing great with it - I have reduced their evening sun time a little to give them a break from our excessive heat but they still get sun for about 8 hours I think, I'll have to really check this weekend. I only had a couple, maybe 3 that were really dark but one of them seems to be lightening up, I'm not sure about the other 2...I'll check. If you get a chance I'd love to see a picture!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Wendy, you could just have a lot of seedlings that will throw dark or dark-striped flowers. Something to look forward to!

Emily, yours looks like it's the same as a NOID I picked up in Houston when my obsession was just starting. This looks very much like Lemon Chiffon:

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Wow Jen, that's just lovely!!! They DO look really similar - and mine is one of my HEB scores I was telling you about from 1 or 2 years ago! $5!!!

And I finally got a picture of my Maui beauty to share:

And I posted this pic in my Kimo bloom thread but it's so awesome I have to post it here too - these are a couple of faded blooms that look so different from the very saturated ones but just as lovely!
    {{gwi:1166580}}

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Another update! :)

Finally got my Hula Girl *swoon*

Since following some advice I was given, Bill Moragne has decided to sprout a new leaf, plus 2 more which should open in about a week. :)

Thumberlina has many many leaves, a slow grower but still lots of leaves!

Kimo, getting more leaves.

After Penang Peach was done blooming, it has been spitting out leaves left and right. It has 2 new branches from the inflo, possibly 3, just not sure on the 3rd one yet.

Inca Gold, almost done blooming, just a few buds left. Since giving it protekt, it has been tolerating the heat a lot better, a lot less wrinkles because of it! :)

Neon Lights, my last rooting cutting I purchase at the end of may now has about 17 leaves.

Seedlings

My mystery inflo, getting redder by the day. I now know that it's gonna defiantly be a red, hopefully a nice one. I can't wait for it to open. It's like a little kid waiting for Christmas presents! :)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, your blooms look amazing! Love the older Kimo petal shape, very different from when it first opened.

Kim, you're doing great with all your cuttings! I'm so impressed that Bill Moragne is cooperating for you.

If I had to guess, I'd say your mystery will open yellow with a prominent red stripe that bleeds through. It's gonna be a beauty!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Kim, has it opened yet???!!! Again, great job with all of your cuttings, you're doing something very right over there :)

My just by chance super score today, word had it that it was the only place carrying any JJ's plumeria anywhere for at least hundreds of miles - a nursery in the middle of nowhere, specializing in water gardens and ponds. Word has been out for weeks now but this was my first chance to go. There was one Divine left. 6 tips, 3ft tall and all gorgeous and healthy looking! Now I see why everyone loves their plants so much!

{{gwi:1164301}}

{{gwi:1164302}}

SCORE!!!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Nope, no blooms yet but the buds are getting redder by the day and growing larger. I'm hoping for at least a 2 1/2 - 3 inch bloom. *crosses fingers*

Wow, great find, congrats!! I love multicolored / rainbow plumies, they are my favorite. :)

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats, Emily! What a beauty and already becoming a nicely shaped tree. Happy day!!

Wendy

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

You guys are killing me! Seriously, I think I'm going to die if I don't get my greedy little hands on a plant with some size to it! LOL

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi KIm!!

Those are some healthy looking trees. That Bill Moragne is looking great! You have done such a nice job on all of your trees.. quite impressive!! : ) Love the Kimo. The color is just beautiful..

Emily.. Great find on the Divine. I agree, this is one to have. Nice compact growth habit and a strong blooming tree. I just love everything about the Divine.

Congratulations!

Hello to everyone!!

Take care,

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, what a fantastic find! That Divine had your name on it. The colors are glorious in our heat!

I wonder if, like Barbra said, they had other JJs tucked in the back somewhere. I can't imagine there are so many plumeria enthusiasts willing to pay $50 in S.A. that they snapped up nearly all of them in only two weeks.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Thanks so much everyone - yes, I agree, it had my name all over it!!! Jen, I was thinking they probably had more tucked away, but the only other ones I saw were 4 Premium White I believe? I got so freaked out seeing that lone Divine I kind of lost my head - I didn't even ask.

I think I was too afraid I would have some tough decisions to make and not enough money!!! We should call...but I'm afraid!!! I know there may not be many plumie lovers in this area, but for anyone who does these plants were a STEAL at $50!

Besides one of my noids, this is my largest plant. My other 2 noids are taller but don't have more tips they're just leggy, and only 1 of them has 6 tips because it bloomed, so this is a real treat for me!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Ok, I caved and called. 25 more plumeria in stock she said. *SIGH* But ya know, I'm glad I didn't see them because I had the money for one, not for two. I would have charged it or something I really shouldn't do and I love the tree I got.

Will it be nagging me in the back of my head that I get paid on Friday? Yes. Will I go back? I don't know, it's pretty far, but stranger things have happened. :)

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Emily, may the force be with you!!

At long last, pics of my seedlings. What do you guys think? I know I am not completely frying them because they have been outside 100% for awhile now, but don't they look kinda fried anyhow? Maybe they are fried?
    Row o' seedlings:

• pcput
    11 years ago

Wendy, how cute !!! Can't help you with the fried but I love all the red they have. Peg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I had to laugh at the "may the force be with you" LOL! Thanks, I'll need it! Same with you and the pinwheel one :) They don't even have that listed on their availability sheet. You lucky dogs living so close!

Wendy, I think you need to spray for thrips. I see a few of the irregular leaves in shape and size (some look very good though!) and the mottled appearance / fried appearance on some leaves can definitely be due to that. Also, there are some areas that look like they've been chomped. The seedlings are hit a lot harder by the thrips than the more mature plants. I do notice you have some of the branching, which is awesome! I think if you sprayed them they would also grow faster, the thrips stunt them. They can handle the spinosad, it's fairly mild.

Also, are you fertilizing them? Because they can handle that too. if you still feel like they're frying, make sure the wall isn't too reflective / bright one them.

Also, on a side note, I saw your post about trying the DR seeds again and it's JUST LIKE plumeria seeds except for 2 things: 1.) Germinate in straight potting soil, don't alter it with perlite or anything. 2.) Only cover the seeds with about 1/4" of soil, just a light cover. Other than that, mist them and keep them that perfect moist, keep them warm and in a few short days with good seeds you'll see them start coming up!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

We've had about 3 days of rain and storms here so I put my plumies and DR's under the covered patio and I really haven't looked at them closely in 3 days. The plants apparently loved the privacy (LOL!), the humidity and the break from the sun because there was some serious action going on while I wasn't looking. I only snapped a few pics but I will try to post more soon.

So that I'm not boring you all and repeating myself, please see my thread titled "Scratching / Sanding to Induce Branching" to read about my most exciting discovery regarding my Penang Peach :) It also started getting REAL LEAVES!!!

My Pauahi Alii which was a single tip and had an inflo I had to cut is branching!!!
    {{gwi:1166597}}

My Moragne #78 that recently arrived had several small 1" leaves left on it but I see about 3 really bright green 1" leaves that popped up that have got to be new!!! Sorry no pic, soon though!

Just for fun, a pic of this guy just because he was awesome looking and so different from the white spiders I see on the plants all the time. He DID NOT want his picture taken and would pop behind something if I got any closer to him.
    {{gwi:1166598}}

And a pic of a Divine bloom that was very happy with the recent weather!
    {{gwi:1166599}}

Several of my other cuttings are getting going rooting too like Loretta, Gloria Schmidt and Gina. Had to cut the inflo off my Maui Beauty because it's getting a little wrinkled and needs to grow leaves instead of flowers.

I'm sure the answer is "because plumies do what they want and you are not the boss of them" is the answer, but I still have to ask, why do some of them branch after an inflo and some of them don't???!!! (...has visions of scratching several plumie tips...)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Just thought I'd share some updates pictures!

Here's my recent setup for some of my plumies - the white pot is the Divine and that one's plunged in the ground. The others are sitting on the ground with 3 pieces of rebar around the sides of the pots - that idea has a been a true life saver!!! My Divine had about 4 inflos on it when I bought it and now it's putting out 3 brand new ones you can't see in the pics!
    {{gwi:1166600}}

Pauahi Alii on the left, Divine on the right.
    {{gwi:1166601}}

Divine peeking in there on the left, Kaneohe Sunburst in the middle and Mystery on the right.
    {{gwi:1166602}}

Kimi Beauty is the main one and peeking in at the bottom is one of my newest additions, a rooted Madame Pele!
    {{gwi:1166604}}

Kimo.
    {{gwi:1166605}}

Penang Peach, Loretta and Gloria Schmidt.
    {{gwi:1166606}}

My Gina is finally rooting!!! Jeez, that took an eternity!!! I have a mystery, a Maui Beauty and a Jeannie Cecile on their second try at rooting. I really hope they make it.

My Moragne #78 is still trying to root also.

Here's a disturbing (Ha!) shot of aaaaalmost all of my seedlings.
    {{gwi:1166607}}.

I did a quick count and I have about 59 Adenium seedlings alone. OH MY! I must have at least 40 plumeria seedlings I would guess...I'll have to count!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?