SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

You know you've lost your mind...

jandey1
12 years ago

to this addiction when you find yourself:

1. Looking past the six-packs on Hawaii 5-0 to catch glimpses of the plumeria trees in the background.

2. Eyeing a gorgeous pair of designer shoes on clearance--in your size!--and thinking, "I could buy a really nice plumeria with this much money."

3. Calculating in your head how many plumerias you could buy for each of the items on the menu at a nice steak restaurant on your anniversary.

4. Planning your vacations around prime plumeria-spotting areas.

Yep, I've lost it.

Comments (29)

• No-Clue
    12 years ago

Well if that's the case then I too have lost it! In fact, I'm sitting here thinking what have I purchased recently (shoes, clothes, purses) that I have not worn that can return to buy more plumies!

And yes I have mapped out all the local Nurseries in case we are in the area so we can stop by.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one though. But I got a good excuse, I just started this month and I only have 13 plants and 4 cuttings. So I have a long way to catch up to some folks here! At least that's what I tell hubby anyway! ;)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

This is too funny. I do the same thing. Just yesterday I went to get some of my favorite cologne and when I saw it was $50, I went, thats 1 plumeria, 1 desert rose and maybe a banana tree, LOL

Mike

• Related Discussions

Want to Know How Good YOu've Got It?

Q

Comments (5)
    Kay,I am with Rita.Don't feel guilty, Feel Blessed and grateful that you still have your life and your family.Its terrible whats happened to all of these people.It will take them a long time to rebuild if they decide thats what they want to do, but, some may just decide to move some where else,and start over.My town has a van and a big tractor trailer parked almost in the middle of town, taking anything that people can give,preferably all new things to be brought there to help all them folks,thats lost everything they own.My prayers go out to them,that they will make it ok. Jean
    ...See More

Q

Comments (8)
    taking notes in macro (or micro) economics is a waste of paper when compared to logging progress of your plumerias. But if you really need to here is how you could justify it: I have 100 granules of fertilizer and 100 gallons of water. the feds take 38 granules and 38 gals in taxes. Which leaves me with 62 each. I spread the 62 across my 4 plumerias. not enough for any of them to grow much but its enough to keep them alive until i make more. I get a few flowers which makes me happy but still longing for that big inflo. The feds spill 20 granules and 20 gals as they handle it through the beauracracy. 18 granules and 18 gals gets to someone who doesn't know the value and how to use it. Maybe they get a few green leaves and thier plumeria survives for another year but again not enough for the plumeria to bloom or thrive. All in humor but based on truth.
    ...See More

You've all been so helpful...would you mind looking at this?

Q

Comments (0)
    I've been working on my books. I am so diversified, but this is my true passion. I wrote the short stories (which many of you have already read) about my dad's grandparents. Now, I'm working on a new set of short stories about my mom's great-grandparents. They were both deaf and this is loosely based on their true story. Also, I have my first short story/book in my new fairytale series. I saw it as a challenge to write a story, where both characters are strong. No damsel in distress. And no obvious clue as to who is the boy and who is the girl, so if you see a misplaced pronoun, let me know! LOL Both are on my Lavender Lass Books website. The stories are listed at the top. Thanks for looking...and let me know what you think : ) https://lavenderlassbooks.com/
    ...See More

How Do You Know When You've Had a Successful First Flush?

Q

Comments (10)
    Jacqueline, you reminded me of a poem, Let Me Live in a House By The Side of the Road and be a Friend to Man. That absolutely would be gratifying to talk roses with your neighbors. My garden is so far off the beaten path, no one gets to enjoy it except me. But, once in a while I get to talk roses with repair or delivery men. None of my friends are gardeners and think I'm quite bonkers for having so many roses and spending so much time gardening. Sylvia, I'm still waiting for this years flush! They're all pruned to the ground after this long, cold winter. Yours are gorgeous.
    ...See More
  • elucas101
    12 years ago

Serious LOL over here!!! I just did the same thing about a heat mat - I could buy another heat mat...OR I could put that money towards a fat juicy multi-tip plumie...and a lot of other rationalizing going on!

• No-Clue
    12 years ago

Elucas, what heat mat? I keep hearing about this heating mat and I'm wondering if it's the same one I use on my back?? I will sacrifice my back for my 4 cuttings if that will help my babies grow. Can you tell me where I can get this heating mat??

Now if I return my YSL Tributes ($800) I can get TONS of plumerias!! I'm seriously considering this!

• nativec
    12 years ago

This post is great! I even calculate how many plumerias I can buy with the money I spend filling my gas tank! My collection would be awesome! Hum...plumeria rather than gasoline..a new way to be green...LOL I should go, I better start walking home from work now :)

-Nicole

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Jen:

truly hilarious. I believe it was Homer Simpson who said, "it's funny 'cause it's true."

My contribution:
    ...when you have a terrace that reasonably would fit 5, MAYbe 7 plumies...and you've crammed 45 trees onto it. Totally crazy--guilty as charged.

Greg

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg, what you gonna do when those babies grow up?!

Nicole, now I'm going to be thinking about plumies whenever I fill the tank.

No-Clue, I think Emily means a seed-starter mat, which is handy for rooting cuttings. And, yes, $800 would go a long way to some sweet trees! Take them back and get yourself an instant tree. Someone recently offered me a huge (6-7 foot) Thornton's Lemon Drop for only $400. Think about it--you could get two huge trees!

I'm eyeing the pad for my son's playscape and figuring how many mature plumies I could fit in there when he's outgrown it: a lot. Of course, by then I'll have bought a new house with an even bigger yard--with no nosy neighbors to watch me talk to my plants--and a garden room attached to the back for winter storage, lol! Yeah, this can be an expensive hobby.

• elucas101
    12 years ago

No-Clue, yes, jandey is right, a seed starter mat is what I was talking about. Not everyone uses them but they're great for rooting cuttings and growing from seed. Even with a boat-load of seeds and seedlings waiting for a place on the heat mat, I keep thinking I could buy other plumie stuff with that $25-30!

And definitely influencing my decision on the next house we move to is if the plumies would like it and if there's possibly a sun porch.

I also feel the need to announce whenever I see a plumeria - we were watching a movie and a girl had one in her hair and I'm all, "That's a plumeria in her hair!" like rain man or something! Celadine, definitely Celadine...

• kimmiesplummies
    12 years ago

This is too Funny!!!
    I think most of us think alike coming down to getting more plummies.LoL...
    I think I've lost my mind... My house is forsale because i need more room for my Plumera's. Made my husband go buy land and he bought me 2 acres. I'm asking myself is that enough room? The lot next to my 2 acres is vacant and own by someone else so i left a note in a ziplock bag and tie wrapped to his water hose." If you thinking about selling pls contact me..." I've think I've really Lost my mind.

Sometimes i think im crazy for trying to sell my house.

• loveterriers
    12 years ago

It is so funny from morning!!!

I started plumerias just from last June and I bought 48 rooted and 12 cuttings processing now. I bought, bought, bought, and bid.

Finally, I woke up from my craziness and I didn't buy anything at garden show last weekend. I proud of myself:)

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Emily, bwhahahahahaaa! I do the SAME THING when I spot one on t.v.: "See that? That's a Singapore--you can tell by the shiny blunted-ended leaves. Yeah, def-def-definitely Singapore."

Kimmie, two acres is awesome! Think how many you can get on that size property!

Dang, loveterriers, you're getting into Andrew and Laura territory on the purchases, lol.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Jandy,
    What's worse is I can tell you where that specific plumeria tree on Five O is located and if I have a picture of it. its completely mental.

I have run out of mostly sunny spots in my back yard so this current generation will be my last...um well sort of for a little while.

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

If you all think you are crazy now, wait until two decades from now when you are adding up the values of all the cuttings that have died over the years, but then summer comes and you remember why you got so addicted in the first place. Next you realize that a mature plant needs the space of about a Volkswagon and you realize you could never put 300 VWs on the land you have. But that is the future and now is motivated by "gee, I don't have one of those......" Enjoy your passion.

• nativec
    12 years ago

Thank you Bill for the sobering reality check...LOL I may go cry in my soil. First I think I may buy a car lot to store all my Volkswagons. :) I loved your post, words of truth and wisdom. I better come up with a long term plan and stop thinking only about the next tree that I simply can't live without. I do keep a "DNS(did not survive) List" If I lose something I take the price of the cutting that I lost and deduct it from next years plant budget. It keeps me in check and somewhat accountable(at least most of the time)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

I haven't been able to leave a post until now... Working extra hard here!!!

Confessions:

Thinking of only what the temperature is in my greenhouse while trying to work...

Smiling at the prices of what people are paying for trees on ebay, while they have passed my high bid marker...

Thinking of how my trees have grown since i have been gone for four days!!!

Hoping that my flashlight is all charged up since that will be the first thing i do when i get home tonight...

Whewww...

I feel better now!!

Loved all of the post... you guys are to funny!!!

Jen..great post. We do know that we have it bad....

Oh... Thornton Maverick is pushing that inflo even more!!

I cant wait to show you!!

Hope all is well in TX

Take care,

Laura

• joanr
    12 years ago

This post is too funny. My sister got me and my husband started on plumerias. Two years ago I bought about 10 to 15 cuttings off ebay from a guy here in Houston. Being local I could go and pick them up from him. I guess ignorance is good sometimes because I had about a 75% to 80% success rate on those cuttings. Well, come last year I found Matt on ebay and then this year I found Fuzzy on ebay and now we have close to 200, yes 200 plants. We do live on almost 4 acres of land but the plummies are in beds behind our house and they are looking GOOD!!!! They are our babies because so many are just young plants but they are doing great for us. In fact we have Jeannie Moragne, Stargazer, Mele Pa Bowman and Princess Victoria blooming now. They love our Texas weather :) I told my husband we don't have room for any more but I find myself on ebay looking at one more thinking I don't have that one!!! And Laura, is that you bidding against me on ebay. I hate when I loose a bid by $1.00 but there is always the next time. I really wanted the Essie's Fantasy but it went for much more than I was ready to spend. And yes, we watched Hawaii 5-0 the other night looking for plumerias. Too funny to hear you doing it too Jen!!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Joanr,

Nope.... It wasn't me!!! LMAO I did bid on a few that went sky high and i just watched the prices rise.. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Hope you did better than me.. I just find it interesting what people will pay for these trees!

Sometimes you can catch a really good deal tho.

Hope all is well!!!

Laura

• joanr
    12 years ago

Laura,

You are so right. I got a great deal on a Candystripe (Pinwheel Rainbow) and a Pauhai Ali'i. So what if I already have them. You can always use one more :) And what if, God forbid, one should die!!! I will put them on oposite sides of the yard so they will equal each other out and be happy.

Don't you just love how Plummie Addicts can rationalize their purchases.

Joanr

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura, can't wait to see Maverick's blooms! You only got that one because the other one wouldn't fit into the box, lol. How is that cool CPX doing? Supposed to be a very slow grower. I can't find any info anywhere on it but I'll ask at the show.

I think I've figured out your sooper-secret ebay identity so I can make sure I don't bid against you--you're out of my league!

K, okay, that is even worse than me. Must be some filing system you have for photos to be able to find them. Truly frightening!

Joanr, where are you? I can't even afford an acre around here and it's all hills anyway. Are you direct-planting your plumies? I tried that with two big seedlings this year and wonder what your experience is with them. Are you going to the PSA show next month?

Bill, I swear I keep trying to remember your Volkswagen guideline with each plant I buy, but it's hard when they all start out as skinny sticks. I have slowed down considerably this year. Really.

And you know you've lost it when you:

5. Find yourself prepared to buy a duplicate of one you already have because this one's BIGGER/got more tips/has an inflo.

• joanr
    12 years ago

Jandey,

I live west of Sugar Land and we bought our land about 30 years ago so it was a little more affordable back then!!! We have access to cotton mulch so we built our beds with it. I planted all our plumerias in pots then put the pots in the beds of cotton mulch and topped it with hardwood mulch. We've planted some directly in the mulch and they did as good as the ones in the pots planted in the mulch. But it was easier to put in the greenhouse for the winter if they were in pots. We have many this year that have infos on them that were cuttings just a year or two ago. And ones that bloomed for us last year and split, are going to bloom for us again this year on the new shoots. We are so excited since we are so new at this. It is like watching a baby take their first steps when you see the new flowers unfold. I'll try to post a picture of our beds so you can see what we did.

Yes, I am going to the sale in June. Will probably be working it. So Jandey, you will have to let me know what you are wearing so I can tell you who the good sellers are!!! Also, if you are looking for something in particular I can ask around if someone may have it and make sure they bring it to the sale.

Joanr

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joan, I've heard some of the Texas growers will plant directly into mulch for the season, then bareroot over winter, so I tried that with a couple of big seedlings this spring.

So far those two are slower to wake than the ones in black pots--which makes sense as the ground is cooler--but I'm hoping they'll be less stressed over the hot summer this way.

That's wonderful that you're having such a terrific blooming cycle--how rewarding! Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong as most of mine are 1 to 2 years old and I have no inflos yet. :( They all look very healthy and are putting on good growth, just no flowers.

I already found and bought a big one from Texas Plumeria that I'll pick up at the show, but if you know of a rooted Kelly Moragne (thanks, Greg!) I'd definitely be interested--thanks! Where will you be at the sale? I'll be sure to come by.

Jen

• pcput
    12 years ago

"WOW" I'm so glad I'm not alone !!! I had to take my DH over to Laura's. Now he knows I don't have it that bad. Thanks Laura !!! I've run out of room on the family room floor in winter and now you tell me each one will be VW size?? I use to buy one as a reward for loosing weight. Now I've gained the weight back and still buying more. I guess I can loose the weight again and buy more right??? "NO" I'm out of winter space. I think I need to get rid of some furniture. It's just taking up space I can better use, wink,wink. Yes we have it bad and we're in good company. Just one more right?? Peg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Wait...I got a new one. When thunder and rain wakes you up at 2am on a Sunday morning and first thing you do is run outside to grab your still rooting cuttings and put them in the garage...you have officially lost it.

• joanr
    12 years ago

kms2,

Or if you hear bad weather is coming and all you can worry about is... will it knock the flowers off my plants. To heck with everything else, SAVE THE FLOWERS!!!

• dpolson37
    12 years ago

Here's another.

When you take to cutting your own hair so you can justify buying another cutting.

We've all lost it haven't we?

• joanr
    12 years ago

Jen,

Not sure where I will be helping at the PSA sale but will probably be at my sister's booth. They mainly have Slaughter Pink for sale. There is a PSA meeting tonight and I will ask some of the seller's if they have a Kelly Moragne. They have a seller's meeting after the general meeting tonight so the sale list should be posted sometimes soon.

Joan

• mimi031298
    12 years ago

When.........u watch them more than your own kid. Not really but it seems that way. Love my babies. I have 10 babies from my mom and dad plant. I have had mom and dad for 8 years and mom has now grown her second set of pods. I have a lot of seeds right now but am already attending to 10 babies age 1-3 yrs. my understanding is that it takes the babies at least 3 yrs to bloom. I have at least 3 3yr olds and can't wait to see the colors. Unfortunately I rent and do not own property or I could have 600 plants growing and probably would. Love them along with my other 50 plants.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave, LMAO! Even I'm not that far gone yet! I limit my frugality to the boys' hair only...for now.

K, 2am is really nuts. That must've sparked some eye-rolling! I don't think it even registered that I had a cutting out (your rainbow) until the next day. I think I was in denial that rain was actually going to accompany all that racket. Been burned many times before by the forecast. However, that cutting is pushing an inflo--my ONLY inflo--and I don't think with our heat that the rain will hurt much.

Joan, thank you for looking for me! When you have a booth number let me know and I'll come by.

Mimi, so true. I found when I went through the photos on my new camera that the plant pics outnumber the child pics by an embarrassing ratio. Let us know when you start to see blooms on your babies!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I know I've lost it when I did it again and while casually browsing a distant aquaintance's photos on FB, all I notice are in the background 2 smaller sized pots with 1 tip each but leafy...plumeria! And I'm pretty positive and then I click to another pic which shows a tall, leggy tree and then I know I was right, they have to be plumies!