SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txndude

Plumeria's too tall, when/how to cut it?

txndude
12 years ago

Hi gang, I've got a quick question regarding a few plumerias we're growing. I've spent a few hours searching, but haven't found anything that's similar to my situation. Anyway, I've got one large plumeria (6.5 to 7 feet tall, roughly 2" diameter) with minimal branching, and it's a bit top heavy, and has began falling over in high winds.

I've read on a few threads and FAQ guides which say that you should be able to prune (make a cutting) as long as each segment is over 1' long. Does anyone see any issues with cutting this one? I'd really like to cut it, and start growing the top half. I'd assume the bottom half would be too thick to re-grow, after the plant is cut?

If this was your plant, where would you cut it? And could you grow both halves?

And I'm assuming that this time of the year is too late to do this cutting? ...although the temperatures here in southern TX stay warm until at least October.

I'm happy with the plumerias so far (we have 4 of them), although they only send out 4-8 flowers once a year which I'm assuming is due to a fertilizing issue (another thread for another day)

I would like them to branch out a bit, being shorter and wider. Is the only way to branch out, via pruning? Or are there certain foods/fertilizers/growing conditions that promote branching? Any recommendations on how to do this, as well, would be gladly appreciated! Like I said, I've been searching a bit, but if anyone has any links or general guides on how to grow these plants, I'd love to see them!

Thanks for helping spread the knowledge!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (33)