SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdog006

Opinions on highest yielding HOT chili

jdog006
18 years ago

I realize that this question is very subjective. But I have been on a quest for the past few years to try to find the highest yielding HOT (the hotter the better) chili pepper.

I am looking for total weight of peppers per plant (not just the number of peppers).

It would be a no-brainer that a plant that offers high yields of a large pepper should come out on top. However, in my quest I have found that the hottest chilis often tend to be the smallest and the larger chilis also tend to yield less peppers per plant.

I was not too impressed with the yield from my long thin cayenne.

The tabasco peppers that I planted last year didn't give a real high yield (maybe they will do better this year).

I have been very impressed with super chile plants. The peppers might not be very big, but the plants grow into nice little bushes and are literally covered in peppers and they are HOT.

This year I am trying Carolina Hot. They are a large cayenne type. Are they similar to Charleston Hot (maybe the same)?

I am also growing 7 habanero plants this year. I suppose if we judge a pepper plant by total scoville units, it would be tough to beat a hab.

What are your opinions for high yielding HOT pepper plants?

Comments (52)

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus