SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumcr8zy

Ebay sellers in Thailand

plumcr8zy
15 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm sure we have all looked at the Plumerias on Ebay that are sold by sellers in Thailand. Has anyone here ever bought any? If you have, are the plants healthy and did the transaction go smoothly? I'm curious to know since the prices are quite reasonable, although the shipping cost is high.

Thanks for any info.,

Rick

Comments (19)

• diggy500
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hi rick
    i have bought several from thailand....most have been quite good....i also got some from florida and hawaii...some were good also...but have had bad ones with very poor communication...
    the thai ones were from anyamanee,who gladly replaced a bad one(out of many i bought) by shipping a higher quility plant and covered shipping and ksom...
    you need to be patient,the english isn't that good,but they try....
    good luck

• nativec
    15 years ago

Hi Rick,

I have purchased from a seller on eBay in Thailand that goes by eliteplant. Prices are actually pretty reasonable. I now have 6 cuttings from this seller and all have been wonderfully healthy, packaged well and shipped quickly. I have inflo.'s on all but one that I purchased this year. I know there is a lot of mixed feelings about sellers in Thailand but I have found this one to be excellent. I bought my first cutting of a species from Thailand through a US seller and it was horribly unhealthy(still not looking good), tried to purchase another from the same seller and it was a horrible experience(long story). I think its always risky but sometimes it pays off. You have to be willing to take a chance that the flower may not be true to name or receiving cuttings that are rotten and losing money. I have been lucky. I wish you the same.

-Nicole

• Related Discussions

An E-bay Gem, Multiple Gold/J-4?

Q

Comments (14)
    Tony, Scent wise this one has zero scent that I can detect, but I am willing to cut it some slack just for the overall size, and display of flowers. If it had a typical plumeria fragrance it would be perfect. Jim, I only purchased from Thai sellers on Ebay in 2008. Two of the sellers sent me exactly what I asked for, although my first crack at it resulted in three cuttings that, although true to name, were very dessicated and took almost a year to root, and three years before they were much to look at. The other two vendors sent me plants that turned out to be nothing like what they were supposed to be. I think the vendor that sent me what I asked for goes under the ebay name of Anamanyee or something similar. Caveat emptor ;)
    ...See More

Looking for source

Q

Comments (11)
    Buried treasure has them. Maya and Daeng Marble $44.95 each. He has great stuff, ships quickly and does guarantee his things. I'll wait on a sale. Thanks for the info on the Thailand vendor. I know the hoya people buy from Thailand all the time, and complain about getting the wrong plants, they take too long, the plants aren't as described, etc. So I'm reluctant to spend the money, it's the shipping that really is so high. $45 is starting to sound like a bargain and maybe the only way I get one. Maybe for my birthday next year. Tally HO! www.buried-treasure.net Here is a link that might be useful: buried treasure
    ...See More

Which H. reticulatum Cultivar do I have?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hello Hans-Werner, Donna and Fred, Thank you all for your reply. Several years ago, I gave her the name 'Silhouette', but I don't know why ;) ... I think she had more pronounced stripes when she was young (or growing under more direct light?). I'm very much happy with Mrs. Garfield, I hope she'll bloom regularly now ... I had only hoped for a slightly brighter pink, these blooms do tend more towards red, but I don't want to complain! The plant stays at the big North-north-west facing window, there is no direct light whatsoever reaching them. But most of my plants thrive there, there's still enough diffuse light. 'Mrs Garfield' had much darker leafs when she received some evening sun in summer. I will post more pictures the coming days when all blooms are open. Thanks again! -the Klotz, Carl
    ...See More

Sucker!!!

Q

Comments (6)
    It's not just ebay with fake--and I mean REALLY fake!--colors of plumeria flowers put up by lying sellers, it's also Etsy and other sites where these people actively try to rip off hobbyists. They take photos of other people's plants, even plant pics posted here, and alter the colors and give them made-up names. Shameful! Stick with the known reputable sellers like dupefl said: Jungle Jack's, Maui Plumeria Gardens, Florida Colors. You can't go wrong with any of them.
    ...See More
  • plumcr8zy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Diggy 500 & Nicole,

Thank you both for the information. There are so many Thai sellers now and they seem to have a very large inventory of cuttings and rooted cuttings. I usually buy my cuttings from sellers in Hawaii and I've always been satisfied with their service. Maybe, I'll give them a try. I won't know unless I do try.
    Thanks again and happy growing,
    Rick

• greekman
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    If you are satisfied from a Thai seller, I believe is better to reffer his name, so that you can help other members of the forum, specially thw newbies on plumerias.

I have test many Ebay plumeria seed sellers from Thailand and I found that the most reliable seller (fresh seeds with high germination rate and fast shipping) was anyamanee, I have test him 3 times and I've always been satisfied.

About cuttings, I have n't experience but I have a great interest to know who Thai seller has a standard high quality unrooted named cuttings.
    Best regards
    John
    from Athens-Greece

• pharoah
    15 years ago

To each his own, but there are so many Thai varieties available in the US, and with our current economic status, currently, I only buy from US sellers with a proven record that I know, and trust.

I'm not saying that there aren't legit Thai sellers, but to me, it isn't worth taking a chance. I will say however that a few years back I did business with Barry Ng out of Thailand and he's awesome!

Tony

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey Rick,
    The other issue of importing from Asia into Southern California is the Ag Dept. There have been a lot of plumeria people who had import permits like myself who had their plants/packages destroyed. Matter of fact there are many Thai sellers who will not ship to California because of this issue.
    So if you import you run the risk of getting your plumies confiscated and possibly not getting a refund.

Most of the Thai plumies are slso grafted. If your looking for some Thai plumeria plants check out Brads Buds and Blooms, Florida Colors or Jungle Jacks Plumieras (JJ plumerias are not grafted they are rooted and huge and in Southern California.)

Good Luck

Cheers

• plumcr8zy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John,
    I usually buy my plants from these Ebay sellers: bloomingplumerias, 1-stop-aloha, and worldplumeria. I never had a problem with a transaction and their prices are quite reasonable. The service is good and the plants are healthy. I've also bought from Evelyn2079. Her cuttings are inexpensive. Once she sent me a bad cutting, but she immediately replaced it and sent an extra cutting at no charge. I can't complain about her service. I'm sure many people here have their favorite merchants for one reason or another, the one's I mentioned are mine.

freak4plumeria,
    I didn't know that plants from Asia can be confiscated even with the proper permits. Especially plants coming into Calif. That's good to know.
    I've heard of the merchants you mentioned, Jungle Jacks in particular. I had to join the "Divine" bandwagon and so I ordered one.
    Much of the information you gave was new to me. Thanks for enlightening me on this subject.

Peace to you both,
    Rick

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey Rick,
    Yes unfortunately even with a plant import certificate and Phyto certificate most of the packages coming into So. Cal are being destroyed, especially if it goes through the LAX Ag Inspection department. Regardless of the permits and documentation per the Ag dept most of the imported plumerias were infected with usually two issues, one was a type of fungus..hmmmm, I think it was Formosa or Fomosa.

Good luck....

Cheers

• lovefrangis
    15 years ago

I have a question. When you all say you get a healthy cutting etc from a certain seller (US or Thai), has it also bloomed true to what was advertised? I question this because sometimes it takes time for something to bloom, especially a cutting. I won't ever recommend someone who sells me something unless I SEE that I bought what was advertised and that is AFTER it blooms.
    On a side note, I agree with Tony, buy USA and help support our pathetic economy.

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey Love F.,
    I have had bad experiences where the healthy plumeria plant or cutting I bought bloomed and proved to be something other than what I had purchased
    All three of these sellers were US sellers.
    One of the seller was in Hawaii and I can not mention her name here on G Web or her the business name she sold her plumies under as both her names are banned here (If you post her name or business name you get a warning that basically says that if you mention her names again you will be banned from G Web) but I guess the initials are ok TN.
    This sell and I had a good relationship and I trusted her and bought a ton of cuttings and plants from her over a 4 yr period
    I guess because she thought that we had a good relationship she could send me bogus plants and get away with it saying that it was a mistake... Once or twice is a mistake but many in a short consecutive period of time seems intentional.
    I paid 80.00 for a 11"cutting of Bill Morange that ended up being Daisy Wilcox, a Kaulanani that bloomed common yellow, and supposedly a special red plumeria that I paid 100.00 for a 12" 2 tipped cutting for 100.00 that ended up being Kimo, and there were several more that ended up being bogus also.

The other seller was here in So Cal MG is the initials to her nursery. I spent about 4700.00 worth of plants from this seller, this was her wholesale pricing and she had a minimal dollar value you had to purchase.
    In this case I think since the seller was very, very old that the tags on the plants were mixed up by accident.
    I had bought a Nebels Rainbow that ended up being Nebels gold, a Hawaiian flag that was some kind of White plumeria.

There was also an Ebay seller that everyone thought was legit in 2003 that was selling rare Thai Varities back in the day that were bogus. This seller was selling cuttings that were labled Thai Rainbow Peacock, nagchampa, and many other exotic named ones that ended up being kauka Wilder, Samoan fluff, and some other type of white plumies that kind of looked like Moonlight.
    This seller said that the person who shipped him the cuttings from Thailand ripped him off and that he didnt know that the plumies were fake. When everyone asked this seller who his source was he would not tell anyone who it was. If someone ripped you off wouldnt you want to out him and blast his name every where. I got ripped off for about 900.00, but unfortunately there were a lot of others that got ripped off also.

Basically my point is that sometimes you get legit plants sometimes weather by mistake or fraud you end up with bogus plants. Best rule of thumb is buy from reputable sellers that stand behind their product and will replace or refund purchases that are either damaged, diseased or bogus.
    The other way to prevent mistakes with identity is to buy plants that are in bloom, usually you will have to go to the source directly to find blooming plants(in some cases if it is mail order you can call and ask the seller to send a blooming plant.)

Personally other than those 3 examples out of literally almost 1000 plants and cuttings that I have bought over the years those are the only bad experiences I have had.

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

boy, Freak4, you hit a cord with that one. I think from my standpoint, I always assume that mistakes are made, but the two upsetting points are when the seller comes back with an arrogant attitude like they never would do such a thing or when you suspect they knew all along they were ripping you off. As an Eagle Scout I learned the value of honesty and fairness, and when I suspect these are violated it drives me crazy. You are correct in saying you need to find those you can trust. I even had friends in the plumeria society sell plants that were incorrect and respond like it was no big deal. Taking cuttings without asking and not standing up for your mistakes are matters of honesty and respect. It fries me to hear that these people who you gave good business to would stab you in the back. Bill

• astrl
    15 years ago

I've bought a few but none of them have bloomed yet, so I can't yet answer your question if they have bloomed true. I've kept pictures from the Ebay sale so that I can compare. I'll post my results when I have them.

Marsha

• lovefrangis
    15 years ago

Freak, Yikes, you lost so much money! First, I agree totally with Bill about honesty and respect!I know I couldn't sleep at night knowing I harmed someone with deceipt & dishonesty. I also think that bad sellers should be allowed to be mentioned, especially if it's a deliberate thing and the loss of dollars is what you experienced. I'm especially leary with the thai varieties. Some plants look the same as other varieties except with some exotic thai name, or the name is changed by a letter or two (I'm talking about on ebay).
    It's getting to be a "big world" out there in plumeria-ville. I don't stray from the sellers who I know are reputable,although it's tempting at times. I just don't have the money to find out 3 years down the road that I've been ripped off.
    Thanks for your input.

• plumcr8zy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey everyone,
    Wow, I didn't expect to get such a response from my Ebay seller question. The varied opinions and experiences make for interesting reading. From those who have had no trouble to those who have gotten ripped off and lost major bucks. That is what makes this forum so great. We can share our opinions and experiences and use them to better help us make informed decisions.
    Thank you all for your input,
    Rick

• diaryofablossom
    15 years ago

For those who purchase from ebay thai seller anyamanee, how long did it take for you to receive your plumies?

Thanks
    Kim

• nativec
    15 years ago

Kim,

Mine arrived in 6 days. Not too bad. I've heard of people waiting 2 weeks.

• diaryofablossom
    15 years ago

Thanks nativec, that isn't bad at all as long its not a month of waiting...

• diggy500
    15 years ago

hi kim...
    ..all the plants and seeds i bought from anyamanee at different times arrived within 2 weeks also....

• nativec
    15 years ago

No problem Kim. I just wanted to clarify that I only order from ebay seller eliteplant not anyamanee who will only ship to CA at your own risk. Eliteplant consistently gets my plants here to CA in record time, never had any problem with customs or bad cuttings.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals