SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bob

---what do you do with old potting mix--

t-bob
15 years ago

hi all, i'm just wondering about what people who use pro mix and other potting mixes do with their mix from the previous year? do you continue to use the mix year after year....or do you consider them a "one year" mix? does it simply go to the trash/dump, or are their other options people utilize it for? what are they?

also, for those who use pro mix-----does anyone add any COMPOSTED manure to it before potting up? if so, then what type of ratio do you use.

thanks to all who comment---bob

Comments (4)

• web_of_hair
    15 years ago

I used to add it to the existing dirt around bushes and yard and what not. but my neighbor last year reused his previous years and all his plants did un*^*&%%*& believable! I am gonna use what I have in my pots this year hoping for similar results

• fiedlermeister
    15 years ago

I usually dump my pots all into a big pile and reuse the mix next year, sometimes mixing in new with the old. Any pots with diseased plants get dumped in the back of the lot and are not reused.

john

• gardendawgie
    15 years ago

Use it again. I might follow up peppers with lettuce in the 2nd year. I try not to use more than 2 years for toms and or peppers. They get diseases too easy.

But I make and use a lot of soil.

• dvdgzmn
    15 years ago

I spread half the used mix and blend the other half with fresh each year. Only done it for 2 years, but there have been no noticeable adverse effects.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio