SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shekanahh

Bread and Butter Pickle Recipes

shekanahh
14 years ago

I have always made Bread and Butter Pickles from the recipe in my mom's old Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook, and they've always turned out perfectly and very easy to make. I LOVED that old cookbook by the way.

Well, somewhere along the line, the book is now shredded, and the recipe apparently lost. So, what I did was follow a recipe in the National Center for Home Food Preservation. It was the ONLY one they had for Bread and Butter Pickles. I followed the recipe to the letter, like I always do for canning.....but, I must say I was terribly disappointed in the final results. The pickles just sort of had a bland, not very tart taste to them. It's hard to describe. I hate to waste expensive ingredients, not to mention the beautiful cucumbers from my garden, (over a gallon of them, this batch).

So....I am wondering if one of the ladies, (or guys) has a really good Bread and Butter Pickle recipe they could post a link to.

The ones I remember that were so yummy were made with thin slices of onion in the recipe, (no alum), but apple cider vinegar, lots of sugar, turmeric, and I think some mustard and celery seed. No garlic, green peppers or hot peppers added.

Anyway, this episode sort of makes me not trust that websites recipes, and I don't think I will be using anymore of them.

If anyone knows of the same recipe or one very similar, I would certainly be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Barbara

Comments (8)