SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mexicostacy

Stumpy Sago leaves

mexicostacy
15 years ago

So I have two sagos in my backyard, about 10 feet apart. They look to be pretty old, trunks are 1.5-2ft tall. They get the same amount of water (just rain this month, it's been very wet), same amount of fertilizer (one application of 10-2-12 about 4 months ago), but one gets 3 hours more of direct sunlight than the other due to shadows caused by other plants and the house. The one in the shadier spot is gorgeous with several healthy flushes and long, shiny leaves. The one in the sunnier spot is pathetic, with leaves that are only 8" long, and only 3 flushes. It's so hideous that I kind of want to tear it out. But I read Cycadjungle's web site, which convinced me I really need to try and revive the plant.

On a side note, the oldest leaves on both plants have rusty, dead spots. I assumed this was age, but maybe this is a problem, too?

The main question: what's wrong with stumpy?

I know there are a bijillion posts on sagos, and I've spent hours trying to find an answer. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, so any links also welcome.

Thanks, Florida and sago newbie, Stacy

Comments (2)