SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Late July 2011 pics of my yard

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

I cant believe July is already almost over! This summer is going by really fast, and I hope that it stays nice and warm into the Fall!

I just got back from San Diego this morning and I decided to take a few shots of the yard. I missed the heat wave, but the plants sure didnt!

Here they all are!

Front yard (including a brugmansia flower, Musa Saba, Spiral ginger, Red Cordy Australis, and a musa basjoo)

Oleanders and rubber tree from above

My Plumeria "Divine" is in full bloom!

Some sort of Stromanthe

Livistonia

Chamaedorea seifrizii

Agave desmettiana variegata

My 3 year old pindo palm that just wont grow!

One of my oldest potted plants, my 5 year old Stromanthe

Some of my Mandevillea vines

A look at the gazeboo with some of my ice cream banana in the pic!

My Staghorn fern gets direct sunglight only from 6am-8am. It seems to really like its spot!

This orchid has flowerd 3 times for me this year (2 times indoors and now its making one outside!)

Still no canna blooms, but some of them are getting pretty big. These are about 5 feet tall and should be getting ready to flower any day now!

Ice Cream banana and Majesty Palm

Scott Pratt Plumeria cutting

I really am a big fan of the classic elephant ears. They are big, cheap, and really do look beautiful!

I had to get this papaya off of ebay since I never have success with papayas from seed that I start indoors (they always burn when they go outside). My windmill palm is in its 3rd summer in the ground. Usually I give it christmas lights, a frost cloth, and christmas lights for protection, but since my other windmill palm did well without the christmas lights, I think this one will also only get a garbage bin over it this winter. The livistonia next to it will get x mas lights like last winter.

My Coconut palm keeps growing well.

Finally some blooms on this mandevilla!

Variegated Sea Hibiscus! I really love these plants and they are fast growers (this was a 3 inch plant when I got it in March)

Oleanders have passed their peak bloom, but they should still keep blooming right up to November

Tillandsia ionantha (I lost a ton of Tilliandsias to the birds who took them to make their nests (especially the spanish moss which I now dont have a single bit of thanks to the birds).

Ball moss (Tillandsia Recurvata) and an orchid in the background

Some peace lilies and my new Dicksonia antarctica!! Its a really nice size! I have it in shade and it will be getting daily waterings for sure!

Oleanders, birds of paradise, elephant ears, hydrangea, schefflera, and a few others

There havent been a ton of cicadas this year (compared to last year) but I found this one on my fig tree this morning!

I cleared out the spaghetti squash I planted here because all the flowers were male (which means no fruit) and they were taking way too much space). Now I have some wandering jew vines and the mandevilleas.

Plumeria Divine

[

I have come to the conclusion that grasshoppers will eat absolutely any plant. I mean I cant imagine any bug that would eat entire leaves off of a plumeria, but thats what a grasshopper did to this plumeria. I just hope it leaves this infloresence alone! I have been waiting for 2 summers for this plumeria to bloom and its only a month away from doing that, but it only takes an hour for a bug to munch it off). Anyways, heres a pic of the inflo

Variegated plumeria

Cutting of my plumeria divine

I really dont do anything for this fern, it takes care of itself!

Windmill palm that survived the winter with just a garbage bin over it during snow/rain/extreme cold events. The first frond of the year was a little discolored, but the second one was normal.

My newly planted butia and a frostproof gardenia

My brugmansia

{{gwi:507668}}

Spiral ginger, european fan palm, and oleander

At least Im getting squash from one of my squashes!

My sabal minor has finished flowering.

My favorite lantana!

My Silver Saw Palmetto (still has yet to go through a winter)

Kopper King Hibiscus

Looks like 2 bananas from my Musa velutina

Plumeria, basjoo, and spiral ginger (and solandra maxima, oleander, and brugmansia)

Okay, thats all for now! Thanks for looking!

-Alex

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions