SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Winter Seed Swap (by mail)

soonergrandmom
14 years ago

We have discussed this on a couple of other threads but I thought I would start it here to make sure everyone saw it. It appears that everyone is still interested in getting together for swapping plants and a luncheon "pig out" party in the park in the spring so I don't think we should change that activity.

I have noted that quite a few people have swapped seeds by mail in the time I have been reading this forum. Does anyone have interest in a seed swap (by mail) this winter? I would be willing to host the swap and we could set some rules before we start. The cheapest way to do it is to send everything to one person in a bubble mailer with a address label and enough stamps to have it returned to you. There are other things to consider:

(1)Do we want it to be only veggies, or both veggies and flowers?

(2)When do we want to do it? I am thinking that seed savers should have their seeds dried and packaged by November. Or, as in my case, bought by then, or sorted and packaged from previous buys. I think we would need to know what we could trade for before we buy our spring seeds.

(3)How many packs do we want to trade?

(4) How big should a pack be? Think of a size you would be happy to receive, maybe 10-12 tomato, pepper or melon seeds, but 30-40 beans, etc.

(5)Do we want to post "wish lists" or just take our chances.

(6)Are there any seeds that we should requests NOT be sent?

This is not the sign-up thread, but is just a discussion thread to see if there is interest.

The small bubble mailer is supposed to travel at "large envelope rate" and at last years rates that was $.82, but I noticed a lot of PO's were charging for it as a parcel post which made it run about $1.14, just to give you an idea of cost. I know there has been a rate increase so you can figure a little more. If we send it all to one person, then divide and return, you will only be paying postage twice. If we mail direct then someone may get left out and the postage might be a significant cost.

If someone has extra seeds that they want to include, then we would take them and split them between packages, but everyone should "send" at least the number of packs we decide on.

Any other ideas or discussion?

Comments (8)

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Hey Carol,

I can't write much right now. I like the idea. Here are just a couple of suggestions.

1) For most vegetables it's best to send a minimum of 25 seeds (and that's just for seed saving/production purposes).

2) Small bubble mailers are definitely the way to go. Regular envelopes allow much damage to the seeds. I believe, however, that I've received some small seeds in regular envelopes, which came through alright.

3)Because of postage and cost of materials (especially envelopes) I'd recommend that folk be willing to pay at least $2 for a packet of seeds, unless they are actually swapping. In that case each would pay shipping one way. I send out a good many seeds each year and find that it is all too easy to "run up a big postage & materials bill."

Okay, that's all for now. Must run!

George

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

I was on one of these over in the Winter Sowing group a couple years ago, and what they did was have each person send one package, containing their seed to be sent out to others, and a number 10 self-addressed, bubble envelope with postage on it. Our PO was charging $1.14+ for a bubble envelope before the price rate increase. The person who acted as the distributor divided seeds sent amongst those who signed up, and packed their envelope up to the amount of postage they provided. It was like Christmas! I got lots of different kinds of seed. Some people did package up their own contributions, and they put their names and e-mail address on their packets and that was nice because you could e-mail them if you had questions about growing what they sent. The only problem with this was, being as it was USA-wide, I got a few things that just don't do well here, some things that are considered weeds here, and some seed that didn't germinate no matter what I did, though the fault may have been mine on that one.

I think it would be a good idea to have a sign-up period beforehand and then close it, so that you will be able to tell everyone how much seed to allow. I wouldn't be opposed to packaging seed in individual packets if I knew how many to make. I guess a deadline would be necessary for when to get your seeds to the distributor so as not to hold things up.

If that "bowling ball" that's hanging from my grape arbor continues to do well, I'll have bushel basket gourd seed to trade. I'll have to do some thinking about what to gather, because I just let some of the flower seed fall to the ground and what comes up next year is up to the elements.

A person could include a note saying "no flowers" or whatever; otherwise everyone's packet would be the same, except that what they sent would be omitted, that is.

It sounds like a lot of work for the distributor. Are you volunteering? ;~) I think rather than put postage on the envelope, maybe a specified dollar amount might be more easily included for postage to make it easier for the distributor. If you fill a number 10 envelope with, say, beans, and take it to the PO and have them weigh it and tell you how much it would cost to send in Zone 1, then you'd get a good feel for the maximum postage. I wouldn't mind if the distributor ended up with a little money left over, but I wouldn't want whoever's doing this to go in the hole, after all the work involved.

Another thought, since some of us have traded with each other before, we might be duplicating each other. It might be good to know what kinds of seed each person is going to be sending so that we don't duplicate, and so that, if we already have that seed, we can ask that it not be included in our packet.

• Related Discussions

check out the new heirloom seed mail swap

Q

Comments (0)
    everyone welcome. check out the details in the round robin forum this can be done with very little postage mail as many or as little packs as you want you will receive the same # of packages back make a wish list Great for newbies and the veterians plase email ?'s marketbasket@netzero.com
    ...See More

WANTED: ~*~Welcome to WinterSwap 2011~*~ Sorting Seeds & Sending

Q

Comments (58)
    Merry Christmas!! I am so humbled and thankful for the appreciation and compliments. I was SO worried..lol. I tried really hard to find at least SOME things on wish lists and share other things that I had just a bit of. I'm just plain thrilled that everyone seems so happy thus far. Thanks to all of you for making this a fun and wonderful Christmas that I hope we can start a yearly tradition of doing. OH~ and by the way, our dear Texaspinkie's seed package finally arrived after looking thru many many states...lol. I'll be talking to her after Christmas about how to proceed with getting these seeds out to you all. If you receive a card in the mail.. that'd be why :) Merry Christmas to you all, may you find peace and joy in your gardens and in your lives in the coming year. ~Wendy
    ...See More

HAVE: Winter Blues Seed Swap

Q

Comments (39)
    *POUT* I'm so glad you all had a great time! Wish so much to have been there... The dedication we had to attend that morning ran long, then the weather was horrible so no kite flying either. Wound up going to the gathering after the dedication, which was nice - but I was secretly dreaming of seeds all afternoon. -Marie
    ...See More

WANTED: 2008 Winter Blues Seed Swap

Q

Comments (26)
    Mary- Thanks again for hosting this years Winter Blues Seed swap! You have such a great space to have us gardeney type folks over to swap seeds, tell stories and eat good food too! You are a gem to open up your house to us all- and to offer to do it again next year is way over the top! Zen- give a shout out the next time something like that happens- I could easily try to bend the plans to pick you up! And if you are wanting for seeds- just let me know- I still have way too many in the old swap box(s).... You can come on over- or I could bring it on by some evening- or we could maybe meet in the middle.... It was so good to seed sow many of you! I wish there was more time in each minute when we get together.... I guess I will have to wait till spring for the MN GW Spring Swap at Dave's house to see so many of you all together again... Or maybe at Sandy's place in the fall at the fall MN GW Swap.... Thanks to you both for offering to host these events! It is a real treat when we can get together and share our bounty with each other! Thanks for hosting and planning ahead to make that happen. I guess it is time to start sorting and sowing so I have a little something to share come spring... ;)~
    ...See More
  • soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like them in individual envelopes and ready to go to the next person. I buy small plastic bags in the wedding department at Walmart for mine. As long as the seeds are dry they work fine.

If someone has asked you for a specific thing and they are part of the swap, just put their name on that envelope that you send in.

Yes, I volunteered to do the swap.

It is a MUST to include your gardenweb USERNAME in your package. I will post as I receive things, and at the specified mailout time, I will post that they are being mailed.

George suggested the number of seeds (25) for the swap. Now would someone like to specify the number of packets to send. Understand that you can send more than that if you want, but not less than the specified amount of packages. Just tell me what you want done with the excess, or otherwise I will just divide it up for everyone.

Ilene, the old postage rate of $1.14 was the parcel post rate and sometimes you have to get a little tough with the post office over it. Seeds can travel in a bubble mailer as "large envelope rate" as long as you keep the envelope from being more than 3/4 inch thick. That might mean that you have to tape your bags to a piece of paper before you slide them in the mailer to keep them from shifting around. When you ship "large envelope rate" they will push the envelope through a template to make sure it is not too thick.

I guess my feeling about the cost is this: Even if it cost $1.50 each way to get your seeds, you get to try a lot of things for $3.00. A lot of packages of seed cost that much or more, and some of them don't even have 25 seeds in them.

Some of you are seed savers and can select right from your own plants. Others of us buy too many and have plenty to share. Some need only a few seed of one type for the season and the others don't get used. I think it is nice to be able to try a few of a variety to see if you like it or if it does well in your garden, before you invest in a bigger quantity....hot peppers come to mind. I would love to have dozens of ancho peppers, but a couple of chili peppers is plenty for me to plant in a season. This year I have about 3 dozen pepper plants, but they are probably 8 or 9 varities.

This also provides a challenge for those people who don't normally plant from seed, and an opportunity for those who do to add a few new things to their garden.

How many packs?????

Also, I would like to limit it to everything being mailed in the same week to ten days, so I don't have them at my house forever. If we set a date, like mail between Nov 1st and 10th, then I could have them all on the way back to you by Thanksgiving and they wouldn't be in my way for the holidays. I think some of you will still be saving seed in October so we probably need to go later rather than earlier. Ideas?

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At the spring swap I took a small pack of beans from George (macmex) because I wanted to try a "greasy bean". I probably had 35 beans in the little bag and I didn't plant them all. I held back a few in case this planting didn't work. I have an arched trellis that is made from a 16 foot cattle panel. I have cukes on one side and George's beans on the other. I planted down both sides of the wire, so they have plenty of root room, but they are climbing the same wire from both sides. I think planting this small amount will give me the chance to eat a few (to make sure I like them) and save a few seeds (so I can grow them in the spring). Thought this would give you a good idea of what you can do with a small amount of seeds received in a swap. Of course, if it had been 25 tomato seeds I would only have planted 3 or 4.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Carol, those cattle panel trellises are wonderful, aren't they?

I agree that postage and some seed packages are a small price to pay, especially if there are lots of contributors. Seed packages can also be made by folding paper. There are several sites on the Internet that show how. You are a dear for volunteering to be the distributor.

I don't know if my bushel basket gourd seed will be ready by November though. Does anyone know if, as long as I'm willing to sacrifice the gourd itself, can I cut it open while green and heavy (once the stem has shriveled), and will the seed be viable?

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ilene, You can always hold the gourd seed for the spring plant swap because several of us were lucky enough to get seed at that one last year. In addition, if we do the swap one year and everyone has fun, they will want to keep doing it. It's another gardening addiction. LOL

The radar map looks like you are going to get rain all day. We only got .8 inches last night, but the next one is headed straight for us. I told DH that I caused it because I deep watered my peppers yesterday. I just had a call from a friend in Kay county and their 6 inch rain gauge ran over last night. I called them last night when I could see they were getting hail. That storm hung over Kay and Grant County for hours yesterday. Mesonet says Grant got 6.6 and it is still raining. Poor farmers. First a problem with wheat, and now they didn't get their corn dry enough to get it out of the field before this happened. I think that is mostly cattle feed this time of year. Just one more thing that will cause food prices to go up.

So...limited wheat, limited corn, farmers are selling their beef cattle because they can't afford to feed them. A tomato blight in 24 states, California with problems, a serious drought in south Texas which is our fresh vegetable growing belt. Can you see the prices going up and the cash register going "ka-ching". Just listen---you will hear it soon.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Carol, we are getting rain right now. It apparently doesn't know how to stop once it gets started. My apple tree went ahead and fell over night before last. It's been wobbling for about a year so I was expecting it. It had hardly any roots at all. I've got a Stark Brothers catalog and there's 20% off if you order before October something. I'm thinking about getting a 2 in 1 tree, as they are self-polinating. I may get several different ones, and put them in the front yard, where there are no obstructions in the ground or up overhead, and then just devote the entire back yard to raised beds and arbors.

I met a man last winter on the seed-exchange forum who said he expected we'd have a food shortage this year because he had heard WMT top execs were told they may be having trouble getting enough to fill their shelves. I thought at the time that he was a nut-case and I'm pretty sure from the way he acted that he was hoarding seeds, but it certainly does look like we're going to have some shortages in the future. We went to Marienthal, KS, which is almost on the Colorado border, last spring, and we passed wheat field after wheat field. It made me feel so good to see so much land bearing crops. But, after our trip was over, it started to rain there. It rained and rained and rained and the report was that they couldn't get their machines into the fields to harvest. Crop failure is nothing new, I remember my Dad talking about it, worrying about it, when I was a little girl before we left the farm. Back then, farming was strictly a partnership between the farmer and Mother Nature. And Mother Nature has a dark side. I just wish, when crop failures happen, that there weren't those opportunists allowed to place themselves between the farmer and the consumer, jacking up the price even more and making millions while the farmer goes belly-up and the consumer gets gouged.

I want to try to make the next spring get-together. It was just impossible for me to do it last time but maybe it will work out this year. There are so many people on this forum I'd love to meet.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have bought all of the seeds that I "need" to plant next years garden, but that doesn't mean I will not buy more. However, I think trading is fun.

I have been in trades that were mostly flowers, but I think it would be fun to have one that is mostly veggies, with just a few flowers thrown in.

On radar it looks you are getting rain again and that we should be getting it soon. It looks like this one is really going to give us a shower. We have a cloudy sky and a little wind so I believe it is on the way.

Oops, forgot to submit the message in my haste to get a few things done before the rain. I did them but got sprinkled on. Maybe we will get more than a sprinkle, I hope.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting