SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Almost clover planting time

scottokla
14 years ago

For anyone interested and for those that were part of the discussion last spring (??):

Crimson clover is my favorite. It costs about 2.00/lb in bulk this year. It can be planted from Labor Day to early October depending on rainfall and location. It will grow mostly next March and will flower in late April. It is dead by early May and is an annual. It makes a great winter groundcover/fertilizer for gardens and beds.

I will likely be getting a 50lb bag of Crimson clover this year. I can share some if you live near me and want to try it. If you just want a sample, I can give you some. If you want a bunch, we can divide up the bag. You can probably buy it by the lb in some places also, but it will probably be a lot more expensive that way. I am still getting prices from different places.

Same time frame for the perenial red and white clovers, except I may not buy any of those this year so I can't share. Red is about $2.50-3.50 per lb (more seeds per lb than you get with crimson) and white is between $3.00 and 5.00 per lb (even more seeds per lb) depending on variety.

Vetch is another option, but it is an annual that doesn't reach max growth until late in the spring. It won't generate as much nitrogen as the crimson clover by garden-planting time, but it is a good option to suppress growth of other plants into the summer.

If anyone knows of more good sources for these seeds, let me know. I am always looking for additional sources since each place has different red and white varieties and different prices.

Comments (10)