SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

how do you lower P, k, Zn, and Fe in soil??

slowpoke_gardener
13 years ago

I have been tilling in massive amounts of compost, shredded leaves and grass clippings for the past 4 years.

When I had my soil tested in early March (test did not come back till eatly May) all my readings were too high.

I had a test done on each end of the garden, and stated below are the ranges. The Mehlich-3 test was used.

P=363 to 515 ppm

K=560 to 958 ppm

Ca=3000 to 4290 ppm

Mg=442 to 644 ppm

SO4-S=119 to 159 ppm

Zn=32 to 52.5 ppm

Fe=205 to 236 ppm

Mn=162 to 193 ppm

Cu=3.9 to4.8 ppm

B=1.7 to 3.4 ppm

PH=6.2 to 6.5

Soil ECEC= 25 to 34 Soil type= Clay

Estimated Base Saturation (%)

Total-------------Ca----------Mg-------K-----------Na

(85.8 to 91.1) (61 TO 64) (15 to 16) (5.8 to 7.3) (3.7 to 3.9)

The only note on the test was to add Nitrogen at planting time.

The largest amount of organic matter has come from non-composted Oak leaves tilled into the soil.

I live in a high mineral area and these leaves came ftom trees between two coal mines. This land has been in the family for 80 years and no fertilizers were used around the trees, but some fertilizers have been added to the soil test land over the years, mostly chicken litter. The test area has been pasture for 70 years or more.

My pole beans the past 2 years have not produced, the bush beans produced fair.

Do any of you know of a way to reduce these leavels? The County Agent just says dont till in any more material. plant, watch the plants and add nitrogen if needed.

Sorry for the long post but I have been studying for the past 3 weeks and am just as confused as ever.

Larry

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County