SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

How to prevent Powdery Mildew on large Zinnias?

highlandernorth
9 years ago

Last year I grew about 6-7 large Zinnia plants in the front bed just outside a client's front door, so they were the most obvious plants you'd see anytime you looked out that door or walked up to it. They were labeled to grow about 36-40" tall, but for the 2nd time I grew these large Burpee Zinnias, they actually grew to 6 feet tall(72").

But once August and September rolled around, they became affected by Powdery mildew, which quickly covered almost every leaf on every plant, and made them look gray-ish. I tried treating them with fungicide, but it didnt really work after they were already affected, and I tried spraying off the fungus with water, but that didnt work.

So I replanted more of these same Zinnias in the same area, only I planted more of them. Its now 6-14-14, and they are between 14" to 24" tall right now, and I am wanting to find a reliable preventative measure to stop them from becoming covered with Powdery mildew again.

Previously the only issues I had with these type of Zinnia were Tree Hoppers that would literally chew all around an area on each stem, causing the stems to break off precisely where they chewed. I have sprayed with insect control already.

What can I do to prevent powdery mildew? Thanks....

Comments (5)