SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstyear_gw

Peppers simply aren't growing, now turning pale

firstyear
15 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first year gardening since I was a little kid helping my mother. I've been following the forums here like a bible for the past couple months and been having very good luck with nearly all my starts...except for my hot peppers (Hungarian Wax and Salsa Delight).

I thought I'd get a jump on the season and start 2 of each in early February 6 directly in 4" pots using Miracle Gro potting soil, pretty much just to see how they would grow. By Feb 11, the first were up and a few days later the cotyledons were free on them all. I've kept them about 2 inches from fluorescent lights and between 62 and 75 degrees the whole time. Natural temperature of the room is 62, then I start to second guess myself and put them under a heat mat for a few days, see no change so I take it away. I've been giving them a very small dose of balanced fertilizer every few weeks. I do water once a week, but it's a very generous watering (perhaps too much).

Here's where they stand...the plants are all about 2 inches tall with sturdy stems. In all of them the cotyldons are standing straight up with tips almost touching. Basically, they look like parenthesis (), with very tiny true leaves in between. The true leaves started poking through about 2 weeks after emergence, but they are only about 1/4-1/2" long and have never really spread. In the last couple days, the plants appear to be turning a pale yellowish green. I fear it may be from overwatering, but they hadn't been watered in a week. On the other hand, I'm wondering if they need more fertilizer due to the time in the pot. Up to this point, I'd been telling myself that due to the size of the starter pot, there was probably a lot going on below and they were just taking their time. I feel I'm at a crossroads right now between the true leaves not emerging fully, the cotyledons standing upright, the plants turning pale and the general lack of growth. Either I'm missing some small things that are holding them back or a week from now, they're going to be dead. Can anyone give some pointers or ideas here? Sorry about the long winded post, but tried to get every piece of information I could think of.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living