SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Rutabaga

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

George, Dorothy and All Others who Grow Rutabagas:

I thought of y'all last night when I was reading through some recipes in the latest issue of Grit magazine, which arrived in Friday's mail. There was one that sounded impossibly good.....and it is made with rutabagas! So, here's one way to use the rutabagas you're about to plant:

RUTABAGA SOUFFLE'

2 cups rutabagas, cubed

1/2 teaspoon sugar

2 eggs, separated

2 tablespoons butter

1 teaspoon baking powder

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup sour cream

buttered bread crumbs

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1 and 1/2-quart casserole dish and set it aside.

In a large saucepan, boil rutabagas with sugar until tender; drain and mash. Add beaten egg yolks, butter, baking powder, salt, pepper and sour cream. Mix well and then fold in beaten egg whites. Place in the prepared dish, covered with buttered bread crumbs and bake 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Here's another rutabaga recipe from an old Southern Living cookbook from the early 1980s. The book is called The Southern Heritage Vegetables Cookbook.

POT O' GOLD

2 pounds of rutabagas, peeled and cubed

3 large carrots, scraped and cut into 1/2" slices

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter or margarine

Fill a medium saucepan with water. Add rutabagas, carrots, sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Cook uncovered, over low heat for 35 minutes or until rutabagas are tender; drain. Add butter and mash to desired consistency. Yield: 6 servings.

And, here's one more from the same cookbook, 'cause every southern cook knows that pork goes with everything.

SOUTHERN-COOKED RUTABAGAS

2 pounds of rutabagas, peeled and cubed

3 cups water

1/4 pound salt pork, rinsed and sliced

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

additional pepper to taste

Combine rutabagas, water, salt pork, sugar and salt in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes or until rutabagas are tender. Drain. Remove and discard salt pork.

Add 1/2 teaspoon pepper to rutabagas. Mash to desired consistency. Sprinkle with additional pepper. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

So, that's how I usually cook them. How do y'all cook your rutabagas?

And, by the way, I'm leaning more and more towards trying a fall garden in spite of the drought, if only a little more rain falls....and it looks really likely here for Monday.

Dawn

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider