SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan51_gw

Hello Everyone :-)/question

susan51
17 years ago

Hello All,

So glad to see posting :-) The winter has gone by us fairly well and fast... Allot of things going on...

I also started getting more cuttings and managed to get about 10 I believe from Sandy and also at least that many from Matt at one stop Aloha... I really have to just stop buying ... I have enough and I am going to have my ebaby account removed so this will help as I have no will power... I see, I want, I buy... Not good.. :-)

When do I start to fertilize(sp) the plumerias... Most of mine are now starting to get leaves at the tops and even the cutting from Aug. seem to be growing well.. Just how do you really tell if these things are rooted? I have 4 cuttings I got in Aug. that have inflows on them and I was thinking maybe I should cut off to give the plant more time to grow?/root? I would really be thankful for any help...

Well good to see everyone and I will be back... :-)

Susan

Comments (15)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

If the leaves are growing well I'd be fairly sure that you have some root development. Plants that you started last August almost surely have roots if they are putting out new growth. I'd start fertilizing now if the foliage is growing, maybe add some ST, B-1 and kelp extract. Did the cuttings have inflos when you got them or did they develop recently? If they've just started growing I'd leave them be. Unless one of the plants looks bad or isn't getting leaves I wouldn't go looking for roots and just assume they are there.
    Karyn

• susan51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    No the inflo's are coming now there were not there when bought... I am so afraid to kill these things so about how much water and how often to water with this ST,B-1? dont have the kelp extract but guess could get it... I am not touching the roots..LOL I am just so happy they all did not die over the winter...
    Nice to see you..
    Susan

• Related Discussions

crock pickles

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello Everyone Quick question on crock pickles...Not enough to start in stone crock at once, how long can I keep cukes that i pick (re:keep), (pic size) place in fridg, then start to pickle? Thanks for all your help, happy dog days of summer!!!
    ...See More

Agapanthus

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you Jxa44, I will look it up online. I love these flowers - they make a statement!
    ...See More

New to WS

Q

Comments (7)
    There is a nursery near where I work that specializes in larger plants - trees, shrubs - and the owner does a lot of landscape installation. It's not the usual big box garden center with little 6 pack annuals trucked in. I went there and asked the owner for advice on soil to start seeds. He sells me big bags (50 pounds or so) of a special mix that is sterile and contains no fertilizers. It is very fluffy and light but wets down easily. I had NO weeds at all in my containers last winter and a very good germination rate. All it says on the bag is "Mark III" and I have no idea where he gets it so I'm not being very helpful. But maybe you could also check with a local plantsman who knows his stuff and get a line on a similar product.
    ...See More

bud blast question

Q

Comments (2)
    Speaking of buds, anyone know how long it takes for buds to open? I've had an umbel of buds (on a pachyclada) that have done NOTHING for a few weeks now, and I'm wondering if that's normal. They look like they are about to open, and they smell nice when I stick my nose to them, but still no flowers! Any ideas? Thanks, Gabi
    ...See More
  • karyn1
    17 years ago

If they are developing new inflos they definitely have roots. Lucky you, you'll have flowers soon! I add the ST and kelp everytime I fertilize my plants. I use the B-1 at the beginning of the season, when I transplant or when there's any stress. It's probably not bad to use it more often. I wouldn't water much while they are inside and even when they go out because it's not going to be very hot for a while. Let your plants tell you when they're thirsty. I don't have to water them often until July unless we have a sustained heat wave before then. The only plumeria that I keep pretty moist are very young seedlings, once they are a few inches tall I let them dry out between waterings also. Glad to see you back online.
    Karyn

• kevabear
    17 years ago

First things first...."I see, I want, I buy... Not good"....I Love That!!! That is so totally me and I too have to totally stop buying these plummies. Along with our plummies waking up in springtime so do we plumeriaholics!

Karyn, How often do you fertilize? My sleeping plummies haven't woken up yet so I haven't watered yet. Hopefully I will see some leaves making their appearance soon. I do have one grafted rooted plant with an inflo that I purchased on ebay (i see, i want, i buy) and I am anxiously waiting for it to bloom. But anyway, how often does one fertilize?

I see, I want, I buy, yes indeed I am a plumeriaholic!
    Lauri

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I start fertilizing when I see that they are starting to wake up. I give them a root and foliar feeding 1x/mo, two weeks apart. I give them their last feeding about a month before I bring them in for the winter.
    Karyn

• susan51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lauri,
    It is the truth... I really do have to stop.. I have so many colors that I am happy so why do I see something and bam... its sold... I am stopping even if I have to do something drastic :-) Is suppose to be in the high 70 today so I will put my cutting out and bring them in later... what a job that is...LOL....
    I am still confused on how much water to give? Like a half a cup less.. but being confused is my middle name...
    Susan

• tdogdad
    17 years ago

The problem is that plumerias have many genes and hence are able to create many new varieties. Each year something new and prettier comes out and there it is- see it, want it, buy it. The fact that a mature plant needs at least a 5' x5' space and usually much more, and that you would need a football field to handle the swelling collection, does not compute in the face of see/want/must have. Eventually you reach a point where if you want one, you have to get rid of one, or invade your neighbor's land. The real price of plumiaholic behavior is a delayed impact that comes in 6 to 10 years when your several hundred plants become several hundred trees. The first five or six years are easy. The next six is where see/want/buy becomes Oh my God what now!!!! Susan you still have five years untill.....reality. Enjoy! Bill

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Susan,
    there was so much discussion last summer on how much water to give to cuttings, or not. I found out by my own problems, it has to do with how warm it is in your area, to how much you water..

I just planted a mystery cutting from Maui Gardens. Now we hit 80's now in 60's.. so did not want it wet, don't have any cuttings lost mine in our freeze, so want this to make it.

I took the soil, cactus and mostly perlite. I put it first in the 5 gallon container, tall cutting. I lighly dampened the soil mixture, worked it, too wet, add more mix.. Until just was damp and stuck to your hand.. then as Bill said, made an opening in the center, filled it full of dry perlite and put my cutting into that, little more lighly dampened soil on top.. and put it in the corner.. done. I am not going to water it until I see leaves, per what I was told, will spray the plant with a bottle of water, ocassionally. Now if it got in the 90's, well a little drink not to dry out. Plant holds water inside..wait until it leafs out, then is a plant with roots. Then as Bill says, let the leaves grow 6 to 8" before you start feeding half amt and water like a regular plant that has roots. thats what I am doing, others may disagree.
    Karen B.

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Susan,
    forgot, put the cutting in the sun, on concrete.. Sun is not super hot now, but warm. Remember this is how I did it,...up for discussion.
    Karen B.

• kevabear
    17 years ago

I've been hearing bottom heat is most important for getting cuttings to root too. I have a couple of mine on a heat mat under a flourecent light. Not sure if it's going to work, but keeping my fingers crossed. Yesterday even used a heating pad set on low for my ACW. And, no more drinks untill I see leaves.
    I have one though, had it on the heat mat, had watered it when I first started it, but when I was checking it a couple days ago I noticed the stalk was getting wrinkled, like it was thirsty. Any thoughts?
    Lauri

• susan51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I do have heat mats and also lights... Now the only concrete I have is a 3 car carport and that if fully covered... it does get some sun but not as much as my deck... I have all of them outside on the deck...and bring them in at night... I am going to post a diffrent post about that now... Thankyou all for your imput...
    SUsan

• mikeod
    17 years ago

Lauri,
    I would mist the top of the cutting to see if that helps. I am always a little nervous watering a cutting without leaves/roots. How long has it been rooting? If it has been a few weeks, you may want to test the stem by squeezing it below the soil line to make sure it is still solid and not rotting. If it is still solid, I would unpot it to see if it has roots. If there are roots, I would consider a little water. If no roots, you could take it out and soak it in water (with ST) and restart the rooting process.

Mike

• kevabear
    17 years ago

I've only had it potted for a little over a week I think. I checked and there is no sign of roots yet. So I believe I will take the advice of soaking it in a little water with ST and start it over again. Thanks for you input.
    Lauri

• tdogdad
    17 years ago

My best advice is to plant it and then go on vacation to Siberia or somewhere where you cannot call home an have some unsuspecting friend mother-hen over your brood like you would if home. Realize that sometimes they just sit there for a month and do nothing and then all of a sudden, leaves. No squishy, no problem. Remember a cutting can sit all winter for months in a box in the garage and be just fine- so it is more than likely still just fine. The water is the danger. Misting the top is fine but be careful because the mother-hen in you is deadly. Plumie starting is one area where less is more. Plant it/ follow all the steps carefully, then leave it to grow. Be very patient. Bill

• kevabear
    17 years ago

Vacationing in Siberia, now there's a thought. I'll be packin' my bags tomorrow! Thanks Bill for that advice. It's so easy to just quickly think oh it just needs water. However, ya know I took the cutting out of the pot, and now for the life of me I cannot find what I did with it. Suppose that might be a good thing, let it dry out a bit. I like the misting advice. I'm going to just be a misting mamma hen now...
    Lauri

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert