SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_rose_gw

insect growth regulator for odorous house ants

kate_rose
15 years ago

Hello fellow bugged folks,

I could use some advice. I am having a regular invasion inside & out of the little black ants that smell really strong when you crush them (apparently odorous house ants).

Since we moved into this house 5 yrs. ago I have used no pesticides in the yard so we have lots of benificial insects but the ants get worse every year. I have also tried to provide good wildlife habitat in my yard which means that the ants love all the logs & stones laying around. I am not planning to change that. I keep thinking that if I just wait the native ant species will come back in & compete with them but the good ants are nowhere in sight & its getting a bit crawly in the house.

Currently I am using homemade Boric Acid & Grape Jelly baits which the ants love but since there are so many it is hard to make a dent. I have decided to use an insect growth regulator (IGR) to try & kill the queens or at least a whole generation of larvae. At this point they are putting mealy bugs & aphids all over my indoor & outdoor plants, hanging out in the kitchen & bathrooms, & have started drinking from the toilets. The good news is that I have developed a totally organic non-toxic spray that kills ants dead immediatly if anyone is interested.

The 2 IGRs I am looking at that I can find in concentrates are Procor & Nylar. Procor is methoprene which seems to be the least toxic of the 2. However it does break down in sunlight. Both are somewhat toxic to aquatic organisms & since we have a pond & have finally gotten 2 species of frogs established in the yard & breeding every year I am loath to impact them. I know fire ant baits have IGR in them already but they aren't sweet & I can't find any commercial sweet ant baits with IGR.

So here is my tentative plan: Mix the concentrate in the grape jelly and put the baits in relatively opaque containers in the shade to reduce sun exposure.

My questions are:

1) Is there some other better/less toxic to aquatic critters

product that I should be using.

2) Will the metheprone degrade even if I try to keep it out of the light. I know it works indoors but . . .

3) How much of the concentrate should I mix in with the jelly. If I go with the Procor it is supposed to make a gallon of spray which covers 1,500 square feet.

4) If the ants take the bait into their nests do I really need to worry about the frogs. I guess it could be washed out in rain.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Kate

Comments (12)