SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamasd

Hardy Seeds

ProudMamaSD
12 years ago

I thought this is interesting information to share with those germinating seeds. I recently purchased 5 seed varieties from BBB and will share the results with you as I go, all of the above were planted on 3/23. (today 3/31)

Purchased- Sprouted:

Kaneohe Sunset: 16- 6

Siam Ruby: 12- 5

Cerise: 15- 2

Penang Peach:7- 2

Mardi Gras: 15- 8

I'd say Mardi Gras easily takes the cake for anyone looking for a strong seed, altholugh KS sprouted first. There are many more that have germinated and would probably do better if I left them alone, I will let you know the final count if anyone is interested. I only counted those that are actual sprouts, broken through the cotelydn. It does appear that those planted on the exterior of my seed tray are doing the best.

The seeds were soaked overnight between paper towels soaked with peroxide and distilled water, than planted in cactus mix/perlite. They sleep on a heating mat, and then weather permitting, sit in a sunny window with plenty of misting, otherwise live on a heating mat and under a grow light. The lid to the seed tray is always on, although I allow them direct sunlight late in the afternoon/early evening.

Growing from seeds is truly a joy, I am a person that likes to see results! I cannot say what is going on with my cuttings, but these seeds are taking off! My plants too, what a wonderful hobby.

To Many Future Blooms,

Wendy

Comments (150)

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Thanks Wendy! The cuttings are all from MPG and they sent me really nice ones. They are loving the heat today! I checked just before I posted and the seedlings and sprouts are all doing great and they've been out all day too.

I can't get over that tree you got, that is something else!!! WOW!

Kim, Wendy, how are your cuttings doing?

So I've been looking and looking and looking at cuttings - I need a red. I am loving the Kimi Beauty on MPG very much. I'm thinking that or the Scott Pratt. Jen recommended Key West Red from Florida Colors and said it's a pretty compact grower but I wanted to buy 2 cuttings and every one that I liked said no cuttings available at this time.

I LOVE that Orange Sherbert from Brad's BUT, it says "you can expect blooms like this" or something of that nature which sounds like there's a chance you wouldn't???, it's REALLY expensive, and I don't want grafted plants.

MPG will pretty much always give you a free mystery cutting with your order too. Trouble! I was throwing around maybe one of these, I welcome any input, please!

EWC #3
    Gold OP #3 (but it says it's a lot like Kimo -anyone have this?)
    Jeannie Moragne Jr. or Sally Moragne
    Kimi Moragne
    Kauka Wilder
    Manoa Pink

I'm very hesitant about buying cuttings on eBay but there's some Penang Peach cuttings from a buyer that has a 100% feedback score with over 800 transactions so I took a chance - I bought a 2 tip cutting for 19.95 w / free shipping. They have a 1 tip for 14.95 and a 3 tip, which I didn't see until I bought the other one, for 24.95. This cutting isn't really available anywhere else right now so I'm taking the chance!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Emily,

I have had some great purchases from ebay recently. They were shipped so quickly from Hawaii and in great shape. Most of the trees were rooted and i will say that i was quite impressed. A few of the rooted trees even had inflos already. The name of this Ebayer was Bloomingplumerias.

Your mystery cutting looks like it does have an inflo there!! Whoo hoo! Looks good! : )

Emily.. I really like Kauka Wilder . It bloomed last year for me and i was quite pleased. My Scott Pratt hasn't bloomed for me.. I'm waiting patiently!!!

Hey Jen.. You can have rooted trees in your carry ons. It isn't a proble when traveling inside the U.S.

I have to chuckle at my thoughts.. Hopefully, you will have a great flight crew that likes plants!!! : )

The other day i had a gentleman who had a container of Orchids and i found a place on the plane for take off and landing for his plant!! He was quite pleased at my interest in the care of his plant. I told him he could leave his package and i would take care of his baby!!

He didn't leave it!! : ) But was very thankful...

If you need more suggestions.. Let me know!!!

Take care!!

Laura

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

Emily, my cuttings are doing alright. Haven't been able to sit them out because our weather has been yo-yo-ing. It will be warm for several days and then it will rain and the rain will cool it off. I want 70-80s with all day sun! My mystery cutting has about 4-5 10 inch leaves (Will be 2 months old on May 2nd -- was a fast grower), Thumberlina is growing some 1 inch leaves due to I had it in full sun the other day (they really seemed to enjoy that day), Penang Peach has a small leaf starting plus the middle is doing something too perhaps a deformed inflo (my fault -- accidentally knocked it over :( ), Maui Beauty has 2 about 4-6 inch leaves & one is opening on it & the inflo is getting bigger -- you can actually see the groves of the petals on the buds & one bud is starting to get a reddish-pink tinge to it plus I can tell that one of the tips has grown about 1 inch!, Vanda Ruffles is growing some leaves -- one is opening up already -- maybe 3-4 inches long, and my Key West Red is starting to wake up and get some leaves too. KWR was a bit slower to get leaves out of the Florida Colors & Upland Nursery cuttings but it's catching up on it's own time.

Also Brad shipped my Bill Moragne cutting today! I can't wait to get it to see if I get a multi-tip or a single. I hope I can get it to root. I don't care if it takes a while to root, I am whiling to wait and be patient with this cutting -- I want this variety so bad!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

Also Emily, if you wanted Penang Peach, Upland Nursery has them. That's where I got mine -- a 1 tip very plump cutting. My transacting with them was smooth sailing even though they deleted my order from my purchased page which had me worried so I called and spoke with (don't know if it was the owner, worker, or helper) them and they told me that it was shipped an I would receive it the next day -- low and behold it did. Would I order from them again? Yep! Some of their cuttings can be a bit pricey but they have a huge selection plus if you live near Orange, Cali you can visit their nursery too! :)

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Kim, if you find Bill Moragne will not root over the hot summer, send it to Florida Colors and they will graft it for a very small charge, even if they didn't sell you the cutting.

Also, I found both FC and BBB extremely helpful in telling me what was available as far as size and number of tips so you don't need to wait until you receive your order to find out. You can call Carol and email Brad for quick responses.

Emily, do you not want to order grafts? In the case of reds and some other fussy colors grafting may be better than rooted, according to some of the PSA officers I spoke to at the sale last year. Apparently it can help prevent things like black tip in the spring, which I'm dealing with on my rooted Singapore--again!

And I was thinking about our conversation about JJ's grafts, and to be honest I'm not sure they don't graft a lot of their stock, but I can't say for sure. Wendy will definitely know having been to their place a few times. I do know Divine is an easy rooter and mine was own-rooted when I bought it.

• elucas101
    12 years ago

OH KIM. I didn't even know about Upland Nurserey. This may take a while. I already want the Guilliot's Sunset...

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

Don't they have a great variety Emily? If I had more money and more space, I'd splurge but unfortunately I have limited space. :(

Jandey, I believe Carol said they charge $5 for a graft. I hope it will root because I'm kinda iffy about grafted plants. Last summer temps got in the mid to high 90's so I hope that I will be successful. :)

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Laura, I keep seeing that Kauka Wilder on MPG, it looks beautiful! Also, very good to know about Bloomingplumeria on eBay, I acutally had a few of their offerings on my watch list but just wasn't sure. Now I know if I find something I want I will be confident! Those JL cuttings are lovely too but they are hard to get & a little $$!

Jen, yeah, for some reason I really don't want a grafted plant. I know a lot of people love them and do well with them, but I'm resisting for now, ha! So does your Singapore stay out during the winter or is it just fussy?

Kim, did you have to pay $15+ for shipping for just one cutting from Upland? I'll have to either buy more at one time or something...that's kind of an ouchie :( Hoping you get some really warm weather soon!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

Emily, I think for one cutting it is $14 something and for 2 it's $16 something. My total for 2 cuttings plus shipping came to $65 and some change but I don't remember the exact amount. One cutting was $25-26 and the other was around $21 or 22 that I bought.

Actually warm weather is coming but I don't know how long it will stick around because as soon as it gets real warm, it storms, and when it storms it cools it off. :(

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Here's a close up picture of my Mardi Gras sprouts to show the extreme difference of the one with the light leaves, weird! I also like seeing the difference in the colors and sizes of the stems and small leaves. (that dark area on that 1 is just leftover from the seed coat membrane that didn't want to come off)
    {{gwi:1157697}}

• animalcraker
    12 years ago

Emily I just got a rooted Lava Flow with inflo from bloomingplumeria today. The Post office had done a prety good job at damaging the box, despite all the frgaile stamps and stickers. I was a bit afraid to open the box, beause I dodn't want to see my brand new baby slaughtered before I could even enjoy it. I was elated when I opened the box to not only find my Cutting and inflo in great shape, but the fowers had started to open and are as beautiful as I was expecting. The cutting was packed extremely well. Their was also a massive amount of roots that were all very healthly looking.

~Jen

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Oh Jen, great news on your new Lava Flow!!! That looks like a gorgeous flower, be sure and post some pics for us to see! They really do have a very nice variety, I'll keep watching them. And I give the Post Office a giant eye roll...!

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jen, one of my MG seedlings has the same white leaves, and what's more bizarre is that its 2nd set of leaves are green, what?! I was sure I had done something to cause that- glad to know it isn't me, lol.

My seeds are sprouting up nicely, but I am ashamed to say amongst all the replanting and germinating and transferring about I've lost track of which is Loi Krathong & celadine. :o( Not impressed with this. I was being cheap and writing everything down on charts, but I did so much seed tray shuffling on the fly.... from what I think the LK is doing better than C, but they are both sprouting nicely. I'm going to have to get some sticks to stick in the soil, that or switch to strawberry containers like some of you and group them together- that sounds easy. That is, of course, if I buy more seeds. As if I could stop, lol.

Wendy

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Oh that's so weird yours has the white leaves too!We'll see if my next leaves come out green, I bet they will.

With the strawberry containers it can be a bit similar to the seed trays in that if I lost a few it was taking up unecessary space that could be used for other seeds but I don't know how to avoid that. I had 3 kinds in 1 container at first and managed to mix up 2 seedlings- it's easier to keep them together if I use one container per kind, but that isn't always possible.

I'm glad to know the seeds seem to be doing something, that's awesome! I don't like the feeling of mixing them up either, it's frustrating! I guess it's 50 / 50 and if they ever bloom you can finally label them! LOL! Right now my label for those mixed up ones both read "Honey or Mystery", which should probably just read "mystery"!

• elucas101
    12 years ago

I finally decided on a cutting, I went ahead & got the Kimi beauty, 3 tips, from MPG!!! Instead of getting more cuttings I got more tips! They almost always give you a freebie anyways.

I know you guys will probably laugh me out of town, but seriously, this needs to be my last cutting purchase for the season! I will have 8 cuttings after I get my Penang Peach and the Kimi Beauty + freebie, plus add in the seedlings I have now and the seeds still waiting to be grown. But I'm really, really happy with the ones I have.

I'm so excited, this cutting is gonna be awesome!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

My bill moragne cutting arrived this afternoon. It's a single tip but could possibly have a tiny tip starting on the side and is very plump too. I already potted it up an it's sitting on my heat mat with a heat lamp on it to help it's rooting process while the others is outside enjoying the sun. Next week we're suppose to get some really good weather so I hope that it won't change so I can sit 'ol billy boy out in the sun and hopefully watch him prosper *fingers crossed*. :)

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Kim that Bill Moragne is a really gorgeous plumie, how exciting! I looked at that after you mentioned it and you weren't kidding, it's an eye catching flower. Glad you got some sun!

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Current seedling count = 41 started / 26 left / 15 lost. (All 7 Penang Peach's alive at this time!)

I'll be starting some more seeds:
    More Penang Peach
    Barbados Showgirl
    Siam Ruby
    Thai Mango Blush

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

My 2 seedlings still aren't growing anymore. VCR has germinated though an I think Kaleinani is rising up out of the dirt.

Anyways, here is an update pic of my cuttings. Penang Peach has yet to take off yet like the others. Wish I hadn't knocked it over, probably stalled it. :/ Also thinking about adding Inca Gold to my collection that way I will have just about every color (white/yellow, red, orange/yellow, rainbow, pink), just haven't made up my mind yet.

2 mystery cuttings

Maui Beauty

Maui Beauty's inflo -- one bud is starting to turn pink!

Vanda Ruffles

Key West Red -- finally getting some leaves!

Penang Peach -- still practically the same :(

Thumberlina -- growing some nice leaves. It's leaves has red/pink stripes down the leaves, very different from my others.

And my latest, 'ol bill boy... Bill Moragne -- thought I'd sit him outside too since it's 78F right now so he will get some good heat/sun since he's a difficult rooter.

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Looking really good Kim! You have some fat cuttings LOL! All from Upland or other places too?

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

Maui Beauty & 2 Mysteries are from Maui Plumeria Gardens, Thumberlina & Penang Peach are from Upland Nursery, Bill Moragne is from Brads Buds & Blooms, Key West Red & Vanda Ruffles is from Florida Colors. FC's 2 cuttings are the slimmest of all of them.

As you can see, I've been shopping around at different nursery's lol. ;)

Thumberlina's leaves are starting to open now. I believe she is the quickest one to get leaves, hasn't even been a month yet for rooting. Vanda Ruffles already has 2 leaves open, but I don't know if I would count it as the first or not because it arrived with a couple leaves (I plucked them off since they didn't look to hot) on it already before I put it in the pot & Thumberlina just had claws. So the race is on!

An I might has well jump on the confession bandwagon too. Yesterday evening I went ahead and called JJ to inquire about a bareroot inca gold. He is suppose to call me back sometime today around this afternoon.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

You do have a great variety there, and from a great variety of suplliers too! Did you get an answer back about your confessional Inca Gold?!

My Kimi Beauty arrived right on time from MPG and it's as lovely as I thought it would be!
    {{gwi:1157708}}

And here's my 2 tip freebie potted up and ready to go too!
    {{gwi:1157710}}

Both are healthy looking and a great size - the Kimi Beauty is really plump and large, -BEAUTIFUL! - I'm very happy with it!!!

My Penang Peach that I ordered off of eBay looks good too - it was cut when I ordered it though so I have to wait until Thursday or Friday to pot it up!

We're getting some really good heat here but it's been SO WINDY, I HATE IT!!! They're ok for now since they don't have leaves but it better stop soon. I decided to stake them all, which I should have done initially, and of course the new cuttings are all getting staked like crazy.

Something is going on with a couple of my seedlings, I'll have to take pics to explain. Many of them are just fine so maybe it's just something weird with just those, I'll go into more deatail when I have pics.

I soaked some seeds for a day starting on 4/25 (soil on 4/26) and this morning at least 3 of them have germinated!!! I know this becuse one had basically pushed itself almost all the way out of the soil! So I started looking more closely and ya know how some of them get a weird lean when they're rooting? well I can see some of them starting to do that. I left them in the sun yesterday and I think they like that. I can't really do that all the time though unfortunately!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Haven't heard anything back from them since I called on Thursday. I don't know if I will have to call them back or not or if they are extremely busy. I heard that they are sometimes really busy and they don't have very many staff members. I also requested for their catalog too. I'm gonna go through it and find another one that strikes my fancy, and perhaps making another splurge once I rake up the money. :)

Good luck with your cuttings! :)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I just checked my VCR seedlings an it's already 3 inches tall and getting it's first set of leaves. I know the seeds was monstrous, but lord they sure have a long stem!

An a update on my cuttings. One of the mystery cuttings that I got from MPG has a couple 12 inch leaves. Thumberlina has a couple 4-5 inch leaves now (will be rooting for almost 1 month when it hits may 3rd), Penang Peach looks like it is finally doing something now leaf wise, Maui Beauty's buds are slowly getting bigger and changing from green buds to a pinkish tone, Vanda Ruffles has a few 4 inch leafs, and Key West Red is getting more leaves, they aren't big but they are getting there. An I swear that Bill Moragne's tiny leaves are moving. I checked the other day an one of the leaves was leaning up on another and today it isn't. I'd be tickled pink if it is trying to root, it is such a gorgeous flower, I want it to work so bad. :)

I also called JJ's Monday and he gave me the final price. Said that they were backed up an I should receive the Inca Gold bare root sometime around next Wednesday.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, that Kimi Beauty is about the best looking cutting I've ever seen! Good luck with her!

Looks like we'll be visiting JJ's this summer--YAY! I promised DH I was only going to look and not touch, but I don't think he believes me. Smart man, hehe.

Kim, sounds like you're on your way with all your cuttings! My one surviving cutting is making incremental progress on the tips with all our 90 degree days lately so my fingers are crossed that it'll root.

Jen

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hey, that's some serious action going on Kim, excellent!!! I'm glad to hear your Inca Gold will be on it's way too!

Thanks Jen, the Kimi Beauty really is just a wonderful cutting, I love her! And because those 2 were very large cuttings I'm very thankful for the pots you gave me because they needed something larger than the others I have or they would have been really top heavy. Uh-oh...you're visiting JJ's?! Sounds like you're in trouble -AWESOME TROUBLE! LOL!

I didn't get to look at mine up close yesterday, I'll do a thorough inspection tonight! I'll be able to pot up my Penang Peach tomorrow too, it will finally be done callousing. I left my cuttings outside overnight for the first time last night - it said the temp was 70 so they should be fine, but being so overprotective of them of course it felt weird!

My oldest seedlings were getting some kind of leaf problem, which I highly suspect to be bugs, so last night I spent a while with gloves on putting Ortho Insecticidal Soap all over the tops and bottoms of the leaves and on the stems of them. I didn't want to just spray it all over the soil and it did say to take care using on seedlings (which I was like, "What does that mean?! I wish they could elaborate a bit!) and I left them inside today so they wouldn't be in the sun although I don't know that was necessary.

I sprayed some other plants in the yard with it too because I'm sure they're going from plant to plant - they're TINY tannish crawlies, more elongated than round so I'm guessing they're thrips although too tiny to examine. They're causing big problems so I need to get them under control!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Look what I discovered this evening after I bought the gang back in for the day! I hadn't expected this, I thought that it would be another week or two before it'd be ready. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's fully open! I guess the inflo must of liked the 80 something degree weather even though it gave her slight wrinkles. I guess I will have to put paper towel tubes on it for safety precaution.

Maui Beauty *excited* :D

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Oh that's fantastic Kim!!! It looks beautiful even at this stage, you can see the slight pink around the edges, can't wait to see the full bloom. They really do love the heat, for sure. Especially in your climate I would put them out for every bit of heat they can get. I've been bringing mine in & out every night up until this week.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

It's slowly opening more. I put my heat lamp on it today because it isn't sunny out an it's raining. :/ I've been leaving them out during the day and bringing them in at night. I would leave them outside permanently but we've been getting rain an a bit of thunderstorms lately an I'm afraid it will knock them over. I left out one of the mystery cuttings from MPG over night to give it a test run. I cut a hole in a throw-away bowl to cover the pot from rain. Plus I don't trust my neighbors or their cat. LOL

How's yours doing? Any leaves yet? :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Kim,

What a beautiful Inflo!!!

Congratulations!!!

Please post a pic when it opens...

Im so happy for you!! : )

Laura

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

She finally open! It's a lot smaller and less pink than what the description of Maui Beauty is but that's probably due to the rain we've been having, not much sunshine or extensive heat. :(

An a picture of the beast -- mystery cutting from MPG - such a good hefty grower, working on it's second set of leaves!

An Bill Moragne - his leaf is growing! *happy dance*

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Wow Kim, you're making exceptional progress over there!

My cuttings are doing really well - not as advanced as yours though, that's for sure! I think my longest leaf is an inch, maybe a tad longer but there's more and more little leaves just ready to get going. I feel like they'll just take off all of the sudden. (fingers crossed!)

One of my most exciting discoveries was that in addition to my mystery cutting growing an inflo, my Jeanne Cecile, Pauahi Alii and I think my Kimo are growing inflos too!!! I'm very excited for the flowers of course, but for my single tip cuttings I'm excited for the branching as well! I treated the tips of my cuttings with insecticidal soap last night too, as I suspect the bugs hurting my other plants might be on those too.

I had a close call Saturday night - I didn't look at the weather and woke up around 1 or 2 in the morning to a raging storm! Thank goodness I had brought my plumies in just by chance that night for an entirely different reason. I would have been out in this monster storm trying to save my babies! The cuttings would have been drenched though and that's a no-no right now!!!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

You lucky dog! I'm dieing to have a Kimo!

I've been leaving one of the mystery cuttings outside with a throw-away bowl over the pot to shield it from the rain. So far it still looks alright.

My Maui Beauty officially has 2 blooms now. The newest one has a bit more pink on it this time. I sure would like to know what my other mystery cutting is gonna be. It's already working on it's second set of leaves -- it's a very quick grower; one day I will see small leaves an in 2-3 days they are already 6+ inches long. *faints*

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone! Looks like there's been a lot of great activity, congrats to everyone.

Some bad news on the seed front, my mother in law killed my newest seedlings, :o(. She didn't quite listen when I explained they needed to be kept moist, all the time. Two somehow maintained enough to recucitate after many good drinks. They must be strong and I hope to see good things from the two of them. My first seedlings, the ones that began this thread, managed just great! They are looking healthy and strong and responded very well to fertilizing yesterday. Hooray!

All cuttings seem to have rooted while I was away, hooray! My MPG mysters seems to be forming an inflo as well, what are they up to over at MPG?? On my trip I picked up a two tipped Kimo, 3 tipped Hawaiian Rainbow, 1 tipped Waimea and a Cindy Schmidt Orange (2 tipped) at least I think that's the name, my mind just went blank. Apparently while away my mother in law developed the plumeria fever, that's what happens when you leave people with blooming trees, lol, and so I sent her home with my Kimo cutting! Kinda sad but it was the right thing to do. My mom also got the fever during the trip and insisted on taking the 3 tipped Hawaiian rainbow, yesh. They both love the cuttings and I told them both there'd be problems if they kill them, lol.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Ladies, I don't know if she still has it, but jandey had a 3 tipped rooted Kimo she was selling for around the $30 price range if you're interested ;)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

LOL! Kim, you had me really chuckling with your *faints* - that mystery cutting really is the beast (in a great way) growing like crazy! I can't wait to see what the flowers look like! I am so pleased with all of my MPG purchases, they're doing something really right over there. So are you Kim, your plants are doing so well!

Wendy, so glad you had a great trip and got some awesome cuttings! And yes, it's the price you pay leaving someone with a blooming plumie hahaha! The Cindy Schmidt is one that I was eyeballing, gorgeous flowers. And Waimea, well what can you say, that's an AMAZING plumie - so at least you got to keep those. Plus, I'd say in a few years you're first on the list for cuttings from the other 2 you gave to your moms!!!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Look who's here! Inca Gold decided to come today! It came 1 day short of 2 weeks after I placed the order. It has 3 tips an on each tip is a brand new inflo forming!!! *does happy dance* I don't see how he got it in the box, I practically had to mutilate it (box) to get it out of there.

An another confession, I finally landed my Kimo that I've been eye balling. :D

In other words, yesterday when I took off my paper towel rolls from vanda ruffles, I noticed it's 2 branches are also wrinkly but this time they have a little give. x_x I checked the stem down in the dirt an it's firm but the soil isn't wet nor moist, I believe it's between moist-dry. Is the warm weather doing this? The reason I ask that is because when the weather was just in the 70s, they were fine, its when it got in the 80s that I started seeing the wrinkles. Maybe they should get morning sun and spend the rest of the day (afternoon onwards) in the shade?

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Congrats on your new plumies!!! The Inca Gold's are just beautiful and Kimo is certainly one of my faves, I can't wait to see the flowers in the Texas heat, they should have great color.

Everyone's climate is different and your plants look like they're growing really well, but I leave my cuttings out in the sun ALL DAY, temps in the 80's and 90's and they're just fine. They've never even gotten sunburned. I put my seedlings outside too and they haven't wilted or burned either.

I would take those rolls off and only put them on if you see signs of sunburn. (or did they get sunburned and then put them on?) Your Maui Beauty was the other one doing that, right? And it's fine now? Your cuttings are doing this only where the rolls cover?

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

They were doing it when their limbs were exposed to full sun when it was in the high 80s. I just checked the Maui Beauty an it still has them. I had to pluck 4 buds off the inflo because they were drying up, don't know if it's due to that or not. I don't understand why some are getting wrinkles and some aren't. The big beefy cutting gets the same sun exposure as the rest from day one, it never had any rolls on it an it's doing just fine, no sunburn, no wrinkles. So I'm scratching my head on this one...

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Checked vanda ruffles an I had to cut it. It had a little bit of black on the tip so I'm gonna let it callus and start again. :/

What I found weird was, it had fresh wood but when I cut it, no sap ever came out, not even when I poked it in the wrinkly places. Maybe that's whats wrong with maui beauty?

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Oh no :( That sucks Kim, I'm sorry. I'm scratching my head on this one too, I think we may need to call in the experts! Hopefully someone who has experienced this can give you some advice. But I'm thinking if you're getting rot it's usually water or heat (lack of) related.

How many leaves do those have now? Could you be giving them too much water? You said the soil was moist / dry - I haven't watered my cuttings at all since that first day they were planted. Mine don't really have leaves yet, but as of about a week ago your plants had about 3 leaves and if you're watering them I think it might be too soon? Just a thought.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

My seedlings are trying to recover from this bug problem, it really set them back. They are starting to grow new leaves, I hope I can keep it under control, it's awful!

I'm curious about these little nubs growing out from where the leaf meets the stem. Not all of the seedlings have them. Are they just more leaves? I'm not worried about them, they just look weird & since not all of them have it, even more weird!
    {{gwi:1157722}}

{{gwi:1157724}}

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Maybe yours is growing branches? :D

I thought that you were suppose to start watering them sparingly when you get a few leaves that is about 4-6 inches long? That's what I've been doing. Maybe I should wait just a bit longer....

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

Those look just like my seedling of Confetti. it has three little branches with leaves on them on the central stem. None of the other seedlings have them. Clara

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, you're getting some side branches! Possibly as a reaction to the thrip attack at the main tip, but probably not. Only one of dozens of mine made a side branch, so I don't think they're common. What variety is it?

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Oh thanks you guys, how exciting and different! Can�t wait to see what happens! The only variety of mine that's doing it is the Intense Rainbow. I think 3 out of 4 of them are doing it. That's interesting the Confetti is doing it too Clara. What other seeds are you growing? I'd love to see pics if you have any! Jen, do you know what variety of yours made them?

One of the Intense Rainbow looks very promising for some of it's characteristics - it's more compact than the others, growing leaves closer together and shows a lot of red in it. My seedlings look pretty raggedy right now, I'm hoping like you said Jen, that they will bounce back.

My Penang Peach seedlings seem mostly unaffected and are the most compact little seedlings! Here are 2 generations. In each case 7 of 7 have germinated.
    {{gwi:1157725}}

I'll take more pics of all the plumies this weekend. They are all sad because they're inside for the 2 day in a row
    :(
    We need the rain though, and I just can't risk them getting caught in these storms.

OH, BTW - I caught a bird standing on my Kimi Beauty! I just about had a fit. I've been noticing a lot of bird crap on my table & now I know why. What could it want - bugs? (Then I might be ok with it...) or just pecking at the top?!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, isn't it amazing to see the differences in growth habit already? I'm keeping both tall and short growers among my seedlings for comparison but I lean toward the short ones, especially when the leaves grow close together; hopefully that indicates future compact growth. Btw, I have more pots for you when you're ready to move your babies.

My side-brancher was JL Tornado, which I'm thrilled with. Most of the six JLTs I've grown have beautiful, big leaves, tho one is tiny and short. I'm calling it Gimpy.

I don't know much about IR except that my cutting has four perfectly symmetrical branches so maybe it's a heavy breaker after blooming and a heavy brancher in general?

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

In other news, my rooted Kimo came today. It has 4 tips. Can't wait for it to flourish and take off. :)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Kim, great news on getting your Kimo! Or maybe we should call it the KIM-o LOL!!! How are your other cuttings doing? Any new developments?

Jen, it really is so fascinating to me to see the differences in all of the seedlings. They show individual characteristics very early on. Thanks so much for the offer on the pots! I'm seriously worried about my seedlings though. If I don't get this under control I won't have any seedlings left to re-pot. *SIGH*

I'm going to have to try Spinosad, the soap just isn't doing enough. I found more thrips on the seedlings even though I'm treating them more often than I probably should. While I was busy getting bitten by a fire ant I even found a thrip on my toe.

They have deformed my Mardi Gras seedlings so bad I'm not sure they're even worth saving.
    These seedlings should be MUCH bigger and much less deformed. This is only a FRACTION of the damage to my seedlings, it's really bad.

{{gwi:1157726}}

This is the one that had the super light colored, almost white leaves. Look at the 3 weird light colored leaves that popped out, and so close together. All the seedlings really want to grow, and try to in between thrips!

{{gwi:1157727}}

So, I just don't know, I think the Spinosad seems like the best option to get them under control. It doesn't kill beneficial bugs and kills the bad ones when they ingest it instead of having to make contact. Jen, it's supposed to kill caterpillars too. It's considered organic. Has anyone used this?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Spinosad would have been my next suggestion because it'll take care of the spider mites, too. It comes highly recommended. I sure hope you can save those seedlings!

Funny, I don't have any thrips that I can see but the spider mites and whitefly have been horrible this spring.

The caterpillars have mostly gone away now but I'll be getting Spinosad to treat in the fall before all the plants come into the house.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting