SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wbonesteel

New to Oklahoma Gardening & Introduction.

wbonesteel
12 years ago

I'm new to Oklahoma gardening. We moved to Duncan in March of this year and bought an old fixer-upper. (These old bones don't get along with South Dakota winters, anymore.)

We began planning the front garden almost as soon as we unloaded the moving truck. In April, we planted stakes in the front garden and began digging. Now, after re-grading the whole thing - by hand - a 70' by 60' area, and putting in a walkway (partition garden), we're ready to add amendments and mulch and start planting.

Gardening background: I grew up in the country and we always had a garden when I was a kid. That was in south central Illinois. Years later, I also maintained and installed formal landscapes in the Phoenix metro area (long story). Even later, I spent fifteen years in building and grounds, first as a laboroer, later as a manager. I've maintained some pretty nice landscapes along the way.

I've always kept some type of personal garden throughout my adult life, no matter where I lived. The last two gardens we had were comprised mostly of irises and daylilies. So, I have a little bit of experience in gardening. However, it seems as if the more I learn, the less I know. There's always something new to learn, especially in a new climate. Knowledge is weird that way. If you're paying attention, you soon realize that the more you learn, the more you realize how truly ignorant you've always been. Gardening being a case in point.

So, if you know of anyone in the Duncan area who knows edible landscaping, and can help a poor old fart with some adivice and knowledge about local resources and conditions, I'd be truly grateful.

Other than that, I'll mostly be lurking...and reading...and learning.

Comments (24)