SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figara_gw

Is red lava rock good for plumeria?

figara
12 years ago

Hello all,

I am not a regular poster here but I do come often, read the posts and enjoy everybody's picture and advise.

I discovered plumeria about 3 years ago. A very nice person gave me few cuttings of JM and I was not successful in rooting them. 2years ago I tried again my luck at rooting plumeria. This time I was successful and I end up with some nice named plumeria. Last summer I was fortunate to see 3 of them blooming but about a month ago I discovered that all of them were dead/rotted. I checked them almost everyday and they looked hard and green but they were rotting inside. When I discovered them it was too late. As an inexperienced plumeria gardener I think I kept them too wet for the winter temps. I was devastated that I lost all of them (over 20)and could not save any. Three years later I am back to square one.

After my ordeal with my plumeria I started a few seeds. Now they have 2-3 leaves and wanted to plant them in a grit mix like I saw in one of Laura's posting. I went yesterday to a garden supply store and could not find gran-i-grit and turface but I found pine bark and a combination of pine bark and red lava rock called rhododendron mix. Is this mix good to plant my plumeria seedlings until I find the other ingredients?

Thanks for reading.

pat

Comments (6)