SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlem_2007

plants started from seeds last year

littlem_2007
16 years ago

last year, a few people started plants from seeds and I was wondering how your plants survived their first winter. only 6 of mine are OK. out of 20.

sue

Comments (16)

• craftymama132001
    16 years ago

Hi, Sue, I started alot of seedlings last summer. I've lost about 8 during the winter, and my total is now 51. They are all looking good and sprouting new leaves all the time! Yippee!!!!! I can't wait till we have warm sunny days when they can go out and reap the full benefits of the heat and light. Crafty

• gladys47
    16 years ago

My 3 are doing good I hope! They did go dormant on me but are already leafing out!That's good , since I lost all 7 cuttings:( But I'm trying again this year. Gladys

• Related Discussions

Wanted - Big Mama tomato seeds (4 or 5)

Q

Comments (1)
    I have big mama seeds pkg. for 2009. Would u like them? david.
    ...See More

Have: Intersting seeds left over from last year's planting

Q

Comments (0)
    I have seeds that were left over from last year. They have been kept in the refrigerator in plastic bags, so they should be good. I would like to trade two or three types for one type from you. Multiple-type trades are preferred to make postage costs reasonable. I'd prefer seeds no older than two years old. Please see my exchange list for ideas about what I'm looking for. Belamcanda chinensis / Iris domestica / blackberry lily (36+) Gymnocladus dioicus / kentucky coffee tree (12) Kitaibelia vitifolia / white chalice / cedar cup (24+) Maackia chinensis / chinese maackia (12) Marshallia grandiflora / monongahela barbara's buttons (36) Orthosiphon aristatus / cat's whiskers (these are older - two years?)(36+) Tecoma stans / yellowbells tree (24) Here is a link that might be useful: link to my GardenWeb Exchange List
    ...See More

Now, it's cutworms

Q

Comments (2)
    Karen The simpilist thing and cheapest is too put twigs right up against the stem of the plants, cutworms have to wrap them self around the stem, the twigs prevent them from doing that. Another option is drinking straws, again right up against the stems of the seedlings. Alberta
    ...See More

Seeds from last years plant 'remains' any good?

Q

Comments (2)
    Ditto Karen. If there's still seeds left in the pods, then they should be viable. I collected seeds from my favourite Echinacea just a couple of weeks ago. The finches had not gotten to the seedhead and it was so perfect with all it's seeds. I also collected from a Butterfly Bush and some Rudbeckias.
    ...See More
  • greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

My four 1yr olds are still going strong, they're the 2 white and 2 red ones here that I grew from seeds that Lauri kindly sent to me. A couple of others germinated but died off at a very early stage...the biggest one is now 10 inches.
    Gill.

• lil_cali_gal
    16 years ago

MY GOSH GILL ......... what did you feed those seedlings ?? Look at the size of those and look at the BRANCHING....... I'm so jealous !!! Obviously you've done a remarkable job raising your babies. Where have I gone wrong ?? If mine looked 1/2 as good I'd be happy !!! Remarkable. Way to go Gill !!

Cali ~

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for sharing. and congrats to everyone - But...
    Gill, i had no idea that those were your babies - i had thought they were cuttings you had rooted. i am with cali on this.
    sue

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Hello again, yes I'm really pleased, not to mention amazed at getting the 4 seedlings to grow like this, they were planted around early March I think. Was surprised when they threw branches out like that, look really weird. Just used regular cactus mix/perlite/grit, mixed in a few Rooster Booster (aka chicken poo) pellets and watered every now and then with Phostrogen. They lived in a south window and didn't get all that much sun as 07 was awful here in the UK. Celadine is from my Oz cutting, planted in April 05 (took it till spring 06 to grow leaves...and it flowered too but none last year. It was the only one of 5 cuttings to make it. They mystery seedlings are 'NOIDS' I'm afraid, so can't pass on names unless Lauri (Kevabear) can recall which they were...but I believe the white one has 'little hanging petals' and here's a pic that came with the pink seeds....
    Gill.

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello crafty, congrats on your impressive results. too. 51 plants!! where do you keep them all? Ohio must get pretty cold winters. Do you have a greenhouse?
    hello, gladys, how big are your three? mine are less than 6" inches tall and they are kind of skinny.
    maybe i should take gill's example and give them chicken poop. we don't have phostrogen here; i have searched for it. does anyone know what the north american equivalent would be?
    thanks for sharing.
    sue

• craftymama132001
    16 years ago

Hi, littlem, Thanks, my 51 seedlings are all tucked away in 2 bedrooms on tables in front of windows. lol The other 10 are coming out of dormancy famously. Ohio does have really cold, snowy winters, but all my plants are warm and cozy. lol The rooms they are in are the warmest in the house, so they are happy. They'll feel much better when they can get out in the sunshine and warm temps though. It's been a very gloomy, dismal winter here, so I am more than ready for some sunshine myself! It's supposed to be in the 50's this week, so spring is definitely on it's way! My babies range from 3-12" tall. I just got some seaweed extract and they all just love the stuff! I'm hoping the 10 big ones to bloom this year. Crafty

• barske
    16 years ago

Two pics of a few of my seedlings from last year also planted primo March like Gill's. Your plants are looking strong and very cute too. Some of mine branched wildly too but I broke some of left 2-3 leafs and they rooted in less than 2 weeks that gave me a lot more plants I hope the flowers will be beautiful. The seeds were all planted the same day and treated alike look how different they came out some are very compact growing but one shurely is a highspeed grower I wonder if my greenhouse will be tall enough for it next winter it's more than 1 meter 3.5 feet at least. The plant in the white pot is a branch of a seedling but the trunk is far thicker than the motherplant by now and it woulden't throgh of the leaves during winter thats why they look a little pale. The others got a good start in an east facing window. South or east facing Russia are usually great places for plants in Denmark always sunny and warm.

If "felixcat" Hazel takes a look in here please email me if you want me to get you a cutting of the Penang Peach.

Soren

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello, crafty, good idea about the seaweed extract. i will try that.
    hello, soren, yours look great too. thanks for the photos.
    sue

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

WoW what big plants those are!!! Amazing results from seeds sown last year, I thought mine were big, but these!!!! They look real healthy too with all that foliage so early on. Some of mine didn't drop their leaves but they were all floppy and pale, so I pulled them off. Don't know if that was the right thing to do, but they look happier now! Lets all keep our fingers crossed for a good year eh?
    Gill.

• ruthann1
    16 years ago

Gill and Soren,, I am green with envy...your seedlings are beautiful. Doing 100x better than my cuttings! I want to try seeds, ebay here I come. Gill or Soren did you use a heat mat? Also, did you plant the seeds in the pots they are in? soaked the seeds? Doing seeds is new for me. Any info would be appreciated. ruth ann

• barske
    16 years ago

Hi Ruth Ann,

Now I got your name right. I'm usually pretty careless when I'm planting seeds I gang plant 10-25 seeds in a 6" clay pot usually in December when we are turning on the heat and a good warm radiator gives a good boost and my germination rate is usually 95-99% I keep them moist not wet to avoid rot and fungis in the soil. I always soak the seeds for 24 hours, some say it's not necessary but I like the seeds to stick good to the soil. I always use bogsoil as my country produces tons of that and it's very cheap and drains very fast. After germination I let the small plants grow quietly till March/April and then I replant the seedlings and they go into the greenhouse. When the trunk gets hard enough they go out in the garden to face the real sun and our strong winds, sometimes they fly around the backyard and loose a few leaves but that only seems to make them stronger. I might be an unnatural farther and mean to my plants but we live in a country where wind and hurricanes rules but luckily the country is fairly mild and I have Plumerias surviving the rough conditions for 19 years by now.

Soren

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello, Soren, your bogsoil must have lots of nutrients. I would love to see pictures of the rest of your plants.
    sue

• ruthann1
    16 years ago

soren, thanks for input. I may just have to try seeds. We are in a wind tunnel and get Santa Ana winds quite often. I just run after my plummies and give them a good scolding. Back in the greenhouse they go until the winds have calmed down or I'm blown away...hehehe. Seriously, you info is saved to My Clippings and much appreciated. ruth ann

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Ruthann, good advice given above from Soren who beat me too it!!!
    Just a further note, remember to plant just the actual seed part and leave the wing sticking proud of the compost. You may have to help the brown case off the germinated seed once the leave stry to break out of it, some are little ******* and get stuck real hard, if they do stick, moisten the papery case first and try to carefully prise it off. Can use your nails or even cocktail stick/pins/tweezers to help, just do it carefuly. One tip was to remove the seedling from the compost completely to do it, then you lessen the chance of breaking the fragile new root and you can then pot up indiviually at the same time. General thoughts on the compost is that it should be very free draining with extra perlite/grit etc. Good luck.
    Gill.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations