SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

1st day of 'Summer' pics

tropicalzone7
14 years ago

Im not sure if yesterday or today was the official first day of summer, but it definately doesnt feel like it in the mid atlantic. Fourtunately most of my plants dont mind this weather. Here they are...

Sabal minor

Needle palm

One out of two windmill palms. This comming winter will be their first one.

2nd windmill palm, this one has a double trunk

gazeebo plants

Budding thanksgiving cactus. You cant see the buds too well, but they doubled in size this past week because of all the cool weather.

3 gallon pygmy palm

Huge pygmy palm. Thats going to be fun to bring inside in september!

The cannas seem to love this rain. The wandering jew plant tripled in size since the beggining of april. The dark colored canna is canna wyoming and the green one is richard wallace

Orange tree and dwarf cavendish banana. The orange tree came from a orange fruit at the grocery store. I tried the same things with lemons with equal success. The orange is 3 years old and is just branching out. The banana is new and replaced my old super dwarf cavendish which would probably have fruit on it by now if it wasnt attacked by aphids last fall.

More cannas and some annuals. The variegrated plant in the back of the geraniums is an iris.

More tropicals. The cannas are canna petoria, and red king humbert. Also in the picture are some mother in law tounges and a potted pindo palm

This philodendron is making a great comeback after being burnt by the heat we had in april. Its enjoying our recent cold weather (at least something is) and pushed out two leaves this past week.

3 year old stromanthe. Usually has more color than this, and the new leaves are showing more color than the old ones.

Elephant ear and a sago palm. The sago just pushed a new flush of leaves.

a href="http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/ww59/tropicalzone7/?action=view¤t=June2009backyardpics015.jpg"; target="_blank">

My experiment. This pindo palm will be going through its first winter and hopefull will make it. I got it off ebay for a great price and got another one (thats potted) incase this one doesnt make it.

Huge yuccas that wll have to be treated as an annual

First year with plumerias. The smallest one is called plumeria divine and will never get big, and I have no idea what the big one is called, but it looks old enough for it to flower soon (it never flowered before judging by the trunk)

100s of air plants on a cherry tree. Got those off ebay too. They arent mounted on the tree so they wont be hard to take off this fall so they dont die.

They still need to do alot more growing before the summers over, but at least its still early. Hopefully the sun will come out this week. I think we have had 3-4 sunny days this month with one or 2 more where the sun made a quick appearence before the clouds covered it again. How is everyone elses plant holding up in the crazy weather? Tons of heat in the south and cloudy, rainy, and cool in the north.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor