SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkski

Scales. on my lemon and lime trees.. the holy battle continues.

elkski
16 years ago

Late and night and in the early morning light I keep up the battle to save my lemon houseplant. It was a major infestation by the time I moved them outside for their first real rays of sunlight this spring. The planter rim was sticky and the war was on. The kids and I used toothbrushes and soap for about 4 labor hours that first day. Then I sprayed it off forcefully. Man were they thick. They appear to be elliptical scale. I took off the top 3" of soil and replaced it and fed a systemic. Since then I have been smashing any that I see and have racked up another 8 hours. I find it amazing that after I think I get them all in a smashing session the next day or in new light it is like the spaceship lands more at night or something.

How fast do these suckers grow up.

Does smashing them just release eggs.

What happens if I dislodge one into the soil below.

I was using the q-tip with 50% (70% rubbing alchol) and 50% water and a few drops of joy dish soap. Does this kill them or what.

What are the chances this will spread to other indoor plants?

What about my extensive outdoor high mountain desert garden plants? I live in SLC, Utah.

My lime tree has a small case of these and I think it is since I moved them closer outside. I am now keeping them a drip distance apart.

My stuborness and about 150$ is all thats keeping me from using the pruners shears and taking this 3/4" tree to the dumpster. The lime is a small 5' bush and the lemon a 7' tree including large 25 gal pot

Comments (13)