SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redding_gw

Pre-emergent, anyone?

redding
12 years ago

Does anyone here use a pre-emergent herbicide in their gardens before setting plants out? I see some veggie gardens that are beautifully tended without a weed in sight, and I can't seem to control mine, no matter what I do. The mulch keeps them under control where it's located, but given any miniscule space next to a plant, the weeds pop up and flourish. I can't plant any more intensively that I'm already doing. I can barely access them for harvest as it is. Next year I'll be allowing more room between the squash plants instead of less.

It seems that I can pull weeds until I'm blue in the face, and attack the garden edges with the weed-eater, but they are back in full swing nearly before I finish. A few weeds are one thing. A jungle is another thing entirely. The garden was pre-treated with RoundUp, which was a complete joke. I think the weeds may have believed it was fertilizer. They took a brief time-out and then came back as strong as ever.

I found a product that's made specially for strawberries, and I'm definitely going to invest in it for next year. However, I'd also like to know if anyone uses something like that for the vegetables, and if so, how well does it work?

Pat

Comments (13)