SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronnyb123

Journey of the Arbol Chili Pod

ronnyb123
10 years ago

On one of my adventures, ok a trip to the grocery store, I was in the produce ayle looking for veggies. After picking up what I needed, I noticed something stuck to my foot. It was some sort of dried chili, an Arbol chili to be exact. You know, the kind you find in the bins, dried and ready to use in your Mongolian Beef or other favorite food. Its the long skinny one, not those short japanese ones. Anyway, as I pulled it off my shoe, I stuffed it in my pocket to throw away later. After paying for my food and returning to the car, I cleaned out my pocket of change and threw the chili on the front seat, where it remained for a few weeks. My point you ask? Wait Im getting there.

After seeing the chili on the front seat every time I drove somewhere, I decided to try something just for fun. So I took the chili, spread out all the seeds in a wet napkin inside a sealed cup and put them in the seed starter (no I didnt eat the meat, it was already ugly). For a few days, nothing, then suddenly the seeds had tails. Oh the excitement.. lol. Since there were like 20 seeds from the pod, about 12 had tails. Now I took these and dropped them in soil to see if they would develop. Low and behold... Arbol Chili seedlings. So I now have six (I kept the best) of these little seedlings and we will see these develop into some nice Arbol chili fruit and trees.

The moral of this story, if you step on a stange dried chili (not squish a wet one), it may still produce for you and give you years of enjoyment. You will watch something that you thought was dead, come back to life. Interesting little experiment.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus