SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigerdawn_gw

I may need fewer hobbies (rambling post)

tigerdawn
14 years ago

Ok, this is kind of a rant and kind of a plea for help. I'm frustrated and discouraged.

I have been trying to garden (veggie and flower) for just a few years now but I think I may not be giving it the time it needs to do well.

I have a full time job on my feet on the concrete lifting lots of paper, a husband who is legally blind so I drive him everywhere he needs to go and I have to do most of the cleaning, etc., a cat, and rabbit, a great dane, and I'm POOPED most evenings. Consequently, there are days at a time that I don't make it out back to check on the garden and even when I do, I don't know where to start. I get overwhelmed and then I go back inside and hope somehow the Bermuda grass will go away. LOL!

I guess my question is: is there a way to be a "lazy" gardener or do I need to decide if it's important enough to be out there in the blistering heat after sweating all day? I would be willing to do that... but not if there's an easier way!

How much time should I expect to spend on 6 tomato plants, a block of about 30 corn plants, some okra, and a few vines of squash? Since I'm so new at all this, I really don't know what I should be doing other than weeding and an occasional watering.

I'm feeling discouraged right now but I want to give it another go next year and I want to start on the right foot and not plant more than I can take care of. I have a 12'x14' bed that I grow veggies and bermuda grass in. My main plan is lots of mulch but beyond that I'm clueless.

I'm just glad I'm not depending on this garden for survival!

As embarassing as it is, I'm going to post a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)