SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Do you prune tomato plants? My results

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
13 years ago

My tomatoes just look awful. The cherry tomatoes are tall and lanky. Do I just look for a way to support them, and continue to let them grow, or should I cut them back, and will they grow and produce but at a lower level.

It looks like my Cherokee Purple have stopped completely. Will they begin again later in the year when it isn't so hot? Did someone say that they will not flower in this heat?

Celebrity and Jubiliee have been great. Early Girl has done well.

Orange Oxheart had one weird looking tomato about a week ago. Mr. Stripey had one. Black Prince was not at all vigorous, but I ate a few of them. Black Krim and Green Zebra were junk. Every Black Krim and Green Zebra seemed to have the bottom end rot. Marglobe gave me some, but did not taste too good.

Jet Star was good last year, but seems less than enthusiastic to grow this year.

I love Jubilee, but it seems to not be producing anymore.

I wonder if I forget year after year that it is so hot here, or is it getting worse? We seem to have had really hot weather ever since my school let out, and before long I will go back. I cannot expect nice weather in August, but do expect a few breaks in July.

I cannot even walk my dogs on the sidewalk since it is so hot.

As far as you know are there other vendors in Tulsa besides Southwood and the guy who goes to Cherry Street (wherever that is)? I am actually in Broken Arrow.

Sammy

I hope this makes sense. I am tired from working outside, but need to know what to expect for the rest of the year.

Comments (19)

• farmgardener
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sammy, I did do some early pruning this year and am pleased with the results. As soon as the plants were about 2-3' tall I removed all the lower branches up to the first branch that had blooms - that kept a lot of the "soil splash" off the bottom of the plant (no, they are not mulched) - I'm using the Georgia Weave method this year and very pleased with that also. A new tomato for me this year is the Bush Champion and will definitely be a repeat at our house - the plant only gets about 3' high, has nice big,solid tomatoes - is producing well in the heat (95-104) and the vines are stocky and thick. Good taste, good production. My cherry tomatoes are SunSugar and SunGold - they do tend to get lanky and too thin, however I just let them go because my family wants every tomato they can possibly produce.

• devilwoman
    13 years ago

Sammy, to the best of my knowledge (and based on what I'm seeing on my own plants) it's not that tomatoes won't flower in the heat but rather that the flowers won't pollinate. The pollen gets too sticky to be blown by the wind to achieve pollination. I am still seeing flowers form on my plants, including the stupid Brandywine which has yet to set one single fruit! I will most definitely not be planting Brandywine next year!

Debra

• Related Discussions

What do I need to do to my clay soil before I plant tomatoes?

Q

Comments (8)
    I have the same type of soil. CLAY! What I did, that worked well for me, was to loosen up the soil with a shovel. Then I dumped compost and bags of garden soil over top of the area. I used the shovel to mix it up a bit. Every fall I cover the area with leaves that decompose and really improve the texture. Whenever I plant now, I toss in more compost if I have it or Garden Soil from a bag. It keeps getting better and better. I don't think you'll need to haul away any soil. Just bring add some good stuff to what you have. Kim Here is a link that might be useful: My gardens
    ...See More

Do you prune your tomatoes?

Q

Comments (13)
    Anna, People have different opinions and growing practices so there really is no right or wrong. I do not prune or pinch out any suckers, I want the plants big. I do remove leaves and the very bottom limbs when the leaves get diseased or start to yellow from age. The reason I personally do not prune off the side branches (suckers) is because 1. I do not like to create any injury that can let in disease or fungus. 2. I get more fruit if I leave the "suckers" to grow. 3. If you remove the "suckers" a lot more searing sun gets to the remaining foliage and fruit. I want the plant so the leaves somewhat shade each other, it helps cool the plant the same way shade cools us. In my opinion if you leave the plant intact disease is much slower to spread through the plant. I have a neighbor that always prunes her tomatoes to the single stem. She and I share some seeds and I shared with her some of the Matts wild cherry seeds I bought.....she planted them and they grew great but she pruned them to a single stem and hers died off 6 weeks or so ago along with her other tomato plants. Here is a pic of mine from 4 days ago. Now the rest of my tomatoes are done, ripped them out this weekend but they still lasted 6 weeks longer than hers did with many times the amount of fruit production. I am of the thought that if it isn't broken don't fix it. You could simply try doing plants both ways and see what works best for you as that is all that really matters.
    ...See More

How do you prune your tomatoes?

Q

Comments (11)
    I use PVC pipe for my cages. They never fall over. They have 4 uprights and I train (by pruning) my plants to 4 main leaders. I tie one leader to each upright. I snap off any and all "suckers" as you call them although they are more rightly called lateral branches. As soon as I see them, they're gone. To be honest, it is time consuming. And it doesn't end until the plants are done. I must confess, that towards the end of the season, I've given up pruning and just let them go. But at the start of the season, like now, I'm out there just about every day snapping off them suckers. Of course, I'm out there just about every day anyway, so it works pretty good. I don't have room to sprawl my tomatoes. I have a 40 foot long 3 foot wide space for tomatoes. So since I can't go out, I have to go up. My cages end up being 6 feet tall every year. Any taller and I'd need a ladder. I don't know what effect my technique has on production or size and I don't care. I do know I have more than enough tomatoes from 9 plants that my wife and I can't eat them all even though we love tomatoes and have them with every meal at home. We give away lots of them and also make a gallon or two of sauce every year. Here's a link to a site that tells you all about those cages. Here is a link that might be useful: The Matkey tomato cage
    ...See More

Do some tomato plants need pruning?

Q

Comments (37)
    Taz6122, No one said that high humidity is good for tomatoes-it isn't- as tomatoes in reality prefer drier bright conditions, the tomatoes I was referring to in that particular large greenhouse WERE- growing in a drier atmosphere in the rest of the greenhouse below the roof glass, it was only on the surface of the glass that one tended to notice this fine mist almost as if someone had breathed on the glass, and any flowers in the immediate vicinity absolutely seemed to love it and resulted in more flowers plus very good fruit setting, all this was caused by natural leaf osmosis and transpiration. If you doubt that this method of fully pruned and shooted plants produce the heaviest crops by far, why do you think that thousands of commercial growers all over the world in every country have invested millions of pounds or Dollars into constructing modern versions of environmental controlled giant glass houses-even in your country, and using this method as the SOLE -method to get the highest tonnage and plant density to give them the highest profit margins per square metre of floor space, and this method is used worldwide and is accepted as the best way to produce the heaviest crops. If you were to walk around any of these building to have a look-you would never ever- see plants allowed to grow with full shoots and suckers on them. This is of course for commercial crops under glass, -but the same methods can easily be adapted to the ordinary gardeners use in a much smaller way-either in the small greenhouse or outside in the garden. The ones grown outside obviously have to have some sort of staking or tying up method to at least ten foot high, they must be side shooted and suckered fully without any let ups or laziness half way through the season, and they must always be fed every ten days or so with a good liquid feed and watered and never allowed to run dry at the base, until around mid august to the first week in september when no further watering is given to allow the tomatoes to ripen-perhaps one single watering of a higher potash feed helps with the ripening better. The all important growing point and heavy feeding is the key to very large crops. Almost all of the well know famous growers throughout the world use this method in their home gardens and small greenhouses, the late Luch fitoch from Belgium was one such grower-famed rather more for his very large collection of varieties, but one only has to look at all the photos on his website to see the huge crops he grew- reams of tomatoes all the way up the single main stem-even the largest tomatoes varieties had fully set trusses from base to tip.
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Sammy,

Your tomato plants are in containers and plants in containers do not always perform as well in high heat as plants in the ground. I grow plants both in the ground and in containers, and the ones in the ground hold up much better during the worst part of the summer.

For the cherries, as long as the lower part of the plant has green, healthy growth, you can prune them back to just a couple of feet tall and they'll regrow and bloom and set fruit just fine as long as they remain healthy.

Some years I cut back a lot of my indeterminate tomatoes in mid- to late-July and they usually regrow quickly and produce well in the fall. I cut them back to about 18-24" tall, but only if they are healthy.

Larger fruited plants, in general, do continue to bloom but the blooms generally fail to pollinate when nighttime lows are going over about 72-75 degrees and/or daytime highs are exceeding about 92-95 degrees. There are always a few plants that set fruit despite high temps, and for me, Early Girl is one of those. She is never early in my garden, but she does produce throughout the entire summer. High heat and high humidity, especially in combination, can make pollen 'sticky' so it does not move around well inside the flower and help the flower fertilize itself. To some extent, you can improve your flowers' fertilization by thumping the flowers daily (especially in the cool morning hours) or by gently shaking the cage which would have the same effect as thumping the blooms but would be quicker than thumping each individual flower.

As long as your plants stay healthy, they'll flower and set fruit whenever cooler temperatures return, even if you only get a couple of days of cooler temps such as might occur with a cold front that brings a bit of rain.

By weird-looking fruit, do you mean that the Orange Oxheart had an oxheart-shaped fruit or was the fruit oddly shaped in some other way? The Oxheart shape would be normal, but any other odd shape likely indicates a heat-related issue. I don't grow oxheart types here because they perform poorly in heat, but some people see quite a lot of variation in the shape of their oxheart tomatoes.

Black Krim is usually great in my garden and I don't recall ever seeing blossom end rot on it, but I grow it in the ground. Plants in containers develop blossom end rot a lot more often than those in the ground because it is harder to keep them evenly moist.

My JetStar has not been impressive this year either, so I guess it doesn't like this weather.

Jubilee will stall in late July and early August some years but it usually goes back into production when the temperatures cool.

Every year at about this time, Sammy, I ask myself the same question every day and that question is "What were you thinking? You can't have a good garden in the July and August heat we have in this state." The answer I give myself is always the same and I offer it to you here and it is this: Be patient, the heat will pass, things will improve and the plants will produce more when temperatures cool down a bit.

With any luck at all, we'll have some rain and cooler temperatures in the next few days and that will help all the plants perk up. Right now, looking at the radar, I see some storms in Texas headed my way, so maybe that gives us a bit of hope.

For fresh plants, you could try Gary of Duck Creek Farms if he is still selling at the Cherry Street Market (I'm sure you could find it by googling) but he said last week might be his last week to sell because of the heat. Lisa at The Tomato Man's Daughter near Jenks has been open and selling tomato transplants the last couple of weeks. You may or may not see plants at some big box stores here. Some of our local stores have them and others don't.

This year's heat does seem especially bad although it isn't really the temperatures themselves that are so bad, it is the humidity plus the early arrival of heat. I don't know when y'all got hot up there, but we had June temperatures here in May, July temperatures in June, and August heat indices (but not temperatures) in July. It makes me wonder what August is going to do to us when it arrives.

I think I must forget how bad summer weather is. Otherwise, I'd stop trying to garden in July and August and just lock up the garden and walk away from it at the end of June. I'm glad I forget though, because every now and then my plants will have a pretty productive summer. Other years, I just try to help them hang on until cooler temps arrive in late August or in September.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Orange Oxheart Tomatoes

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Sammy I feel your questions have been well answered. I don't usually prune anything except some bottom leaves and stems when I transplant. I mulch both containers and in ground heavily. I have had good results with containers. I set them on the east side of a large elm tree for mid to late afternoon shade. This really helps. When I have time I also move some of my extra mulch around the containers to help with heat but haven't done much this year.

This is my first year for Black Krim. I have 3 plants.Two in ground and one in a container. None have set well. All have bloomed well. I'm hoping the fruit set picks up later. I've had very mixed fruit set this year. Some typical average to heavy setters have been light so far. And some that have either been low or none before are setting fair to good. So hard to explain. Even plants of the same variety planted fairly close together and started from seeds and transplanted at the same times. Or will be setting heavy and the other maybe 2-5 fruit. Both plants many times look the same size and health wise. So no good explanation. The weather conditions are basically the same in some instances. Now I can understand where one has afternoon shade and/or a windbreak and the other doesn't. Windbreaks and shade here really makes a difference. Of course I don't have the humidity many of you do.

I do foliar feed all my container plants. In fact I've foliar fed even my in ground plants this summer. A trial I'm doing after reading what some of the growers I respect do. They feel that especially during stress(heat,wind,hailed plants,ect) this helps. As one said it is like people taking something before and during exposure to build their bodies up and then to maintain them to help fight off diseases ect. So far I've been pleased. I mix feeds up by what I think my plants need and will need for the next 7-10 days.

I've had one fruit with BER. It was a small one on a Black Mystery plant in a container. So far the others about the same size on that plant look fine. Watering is tricky here in the heat. I've went back to mainly hand watering each plant. I did use the pvc pipe one one section of the garden last night. The trouble I have in that with our varying water pressures we have here I get uneven watering from one section to another. I've decided if I continue to use it I will install a regulator to control pressure so I can set the valves and know they will water the same as pressures change on my public system.

I had one odd shaped fruit on a "Ask Neil" plant. I attributed it to pollination. I see that some on fruits that set early when I might still be having cool temps at night. Some years I will see several early. I have seen a few later in the season over the years but not that often. But about every year will have a few on the early fruit set.

I like grow lots of the 4-8 ounce types here. They tend to set better in the heat, wind and heat. There are exceptions. I've got some new to me varieties that are setting well so far this year. Hopefully they will continue. And anything smaller than 4 ounces usually sets good with a few exceptions. When you get over 10 ounces I plan on late set and fruit from them. I don't expect much before Sept 1st. If I do get good production before then from them I consider it a bonus. One reason I set so many of my plants out in June. I have as much or more fruit set on those as I do those set out May 17th. Have picked more fruit till yesterday from the earlier plants but that is changing now.

In summary patience is the best thing. There is very little you can do. Other than transplant new plants, root stems and transplant them or prune back. Dawn and others would be your best source on pruning back. I just never have. Too me this summer hasn't been as bad as some I remember. But I never like the hot spells that are normal for our summers and neither do the plants. Some plants tolerate it better. I did plant seeds for 3-4 varieties that have been grown in AZ and the SW deserts areas for many years. I will say so far they haven't blinked. No curler leaves or signs of stress. If I was a breeder I would cross them with some other varieties and see what I got. They are mostly pullet egg in size fruits but very vigorous in the heat and wind. And are in containers.

What is odd about this year is the temps in Amarillo, TX 100 miles to the south as the crow flies has been low 90's all week while we have been mainly upper 90's -100. Water evenly, feed if needed and make a cold glass of something to drink and relax. Jay

• joellenh
    13 years ago

My big tomatoes aren't producing either. I got a very few big tomatoes, lots of medium ones, and tons of cherries. NO Brandywines yet. My Royal Hillbilly gave me a few.

I am holding out for cooler weather. As long as my plants hang in there, I'm hoping they will start producing. Otherwise I spent the whole summer growing them for looks only!

Jo

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Jo been there done that. So I feel for all of you who aren't getting fruit. You can't eat beauty and the last two years some of my plants weren't pretty either. My Royal Hillbillys set a few during the last cool spell. If they would of set 1/3 of the blooms I've had I would of had a bumper crop. Hoping for good set in late August and a good late harvest. After seeing Carol's I can't wait to taste one. My Big Cheef is the heavy hitter so far. Counted around 30 set on it now. Wish I had planted more plants of it. First one blushing now. And it has set steady since the start.

• boomer_sooner
    13 years ago

Maybe you should bury your containers?

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Jay, I picked three more from the Royal Hillbilly plant tonight. I walked through the garden this morning and only picked a few things and didn't see much that needed picking except cherries. I went out tonight and picked a huge bowl of Tess's Land Race, then decided to hoe a little. As I started working, I could see 3 red tomatoes on the Sioux plant, then two more blacks of some kind, then a Aunt Gerties Gold, then three on the Royal Hillbilly, etc. Soon I had picked a lot and a few bell peppers. I decided to make one final walkthru and could see something gold down at the bottom of the Tess plant. It was crowded in by bigger pepper plants, and basicly covered with tomato foliage so I have no idea how it produced, but it was a very large yellow bell pepper. I didn't have any trouble leaving that one to change colors, because I didn't know it was down there.

The first five fruit off of the Royal Hillbilly plant were huge, but they are a little smaller now....still big, but a little smaller.

Jo, my plants are just the opposite of yours. Mine are heavy producers, but look awful.

Jay, I feel the same way about Royal Hillbilly that you feel about Big Cheef, and wish I had planted a lot of them. I don't think they are pretty tomatoes, but it doesn't take many of them to make a salsa batch and why peel a lot of little ones when you can do that size.

On Wednesday, I was moving my car and putting it under the carport so my DIL could use my parking spot when she arrived. There was a truck next door that had a lot of junk on it and on top of the pile was a roll of CRW wire. I commented to the guy that it made good tomato cages and he told me if I wanted it to make him an offer. Of course, it is rusty as always, and I couldn't tell how much was there, but I knew it would make several cages. This guy is a junk dealer and I wasn't real anxious to deal with him so I didn't make him an offer. I was tempted to just say, "Oh, I'd probably give you ten bucks," but knew it was worth more than that, so I just didn't say anything. He said, "Would you give $10 for it?" Of course, I said, "Yep, let me go get your money." I haven't made the cages yet, but it looks like there is enough for several. I don't have a lot of tall cages and I will need more for all of those Royal Hillbilly plants I am going to do next year. LOL

I do hope that next year is a good gardening year. In the nine years I have lived here, I have always felt so lucky because it was so much cooler than Carter county (just north of Dawn) where we lived before. Well, I sure can't say that this year because our temps have been just as hot with the addition of an outrageously high heat index. I need to plant some seeds and I don't even want to stay out long enough to get it done. There's always next year.

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Carol I'm the same way this year. I've been further behind this year than ever before I think. Part of it is I decided I would take the time to enjoy the garden some. I didn't get everything planted I had planned on and some a little later. That is ok I won't need to buy seed for next year.

Yes and you may need more cages for some Big Cheefs if a certain tomato amateur gets seeds saved. I saved some Dana's Dusky Rose tonight. Will be saving from first fruits as the plants were smaller and not as many insects buzzing around the plants. Had two Monarch butterflies around a Marigold tonight. And also a bumble bee last night. Have never seen a bee working in my garden before. So think Dawn's flowers do help. Have had several dragon flies also. I picked a wide range this afternoon. The first Amish Mayberries. Some Black Cherries, one Vintage Wine Striped, some Juane Flammee's and some odds and ends. At least steady and picking up. My 1884 Purple just keeps growing. Convinced it will be the biggest I've ever grown. Jay

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

I have never grown Juane Flammee, but seems like I read that it is also called by a different name.

I started a few things in flats this week; broccoli, a few brussel sprouts, some Chinese cabbage, lettuce, etc. I noticed today that some of the broccoli has already germinated. It's all outside under the tree, so I hope the cats don't decide to bother it. I said flats, but it is actually individual pots that fit inside a flat, so I don't have to disturb the roots. I hope it gets a good start because last year the broc didn't grow much until it went into the ground, then it got cold too soon. I guess gardening in Oklahoma is always a gamble.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Jo, I think Brandywine might set for you in August or September. It is a really, really late-season tomato, especially in our climate. Some of the Brandywine crosses I'm growing from seed Jay sent me are much better producers, but nothing matches Brandywine's flavor. Brandy Boy, a hybrid from Burpee, comes closer in flavor and produces much better but also doesn't have that amazing Brandywine flavor. In 2002, I had so many Brandywines that I gave them away to several people. I haven't had enough fruit on a BW plant since then to make it worth the space it occupies. What was special about 2002? Here in Love County we were abnormally cool in May, with some nights in the 40s, and even abnormally cool in June. Thus, the weather Brandywine enjoyed during that time was similar to the weather in Pennsylvania where Brandywine 'originated' there in the Brandywine River/valley region.

Jay, I'm glad the flowers are attracting some beneficial insects. We need to figure out if there is a beneficial insect that eats thrips or pysllids because if there is, that's the beneficial insect you need.

It sounds like your harvest is going to be stupendous! I never get everything in the ground that I planted either. Something always stops me....too much rain leaving the ground too wet, too much cold weather late into the season, too much hot weather early and even the combination of too much cold too late immediately followed by early heat which happened this year when we had a late frost in May and just a few days later were in the 90s. It also could be that I always plan to plant many more plants than I have space for.

Carol, Great bargain on the CRW.

I've been very disciplined when picking peppers this year and have been waiting for them to turn to their mature color, but I've had more sunscald lately because of that. I may have to start harvesting some bell peppers green in order to get them before the sun does. I found a lot of tomatoes 'hiding' yesterday and it is always fun to find ripe tomatoes that I hadn't even realized were there.

It sounds like Tess's is keeping your busy. Isn't the production on it amazing? I wish we had a large-fruited or medium-fruited plant that would produce 1/20th as heavily as Tess.

Some people call Jaune Flammee by half its name....Flammee.

I haven't started seeds for fall and I really need to. It is hard to feel terribly motivated in this heat, but I know I'll be sorry if I don't start some. Maybe I can get that done today after finishing up the last batch of Habanero Gold. (I might make another few batches tomorrow though....the habs are coming in hot and heavy and I am desperately trying to process them within a day or two of picking them so I can avoid last year's Pepper Explosion. It does help that I didn't plant the bird pepper this year because that's at least 600 peppers I won't have to deal with at the peak harvest (and I still have hundreds of dried and frozen bird peppers so I won't have to plant it again for another decade).

"I guess gardening in Oklahoma is always a gamble." lol Oh, yes it is! We need to needlepoint that and hang it on the wall as our slogan. Heck, most springs living in Oklahoma is a gamble. I still love it here though, despite the challenging weather. The people here in this state are just the best! And I'll include Jay in that group since he has one foot on the Oklahoma side of the border and the other on the Kansas side.

Dawn

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Carol,
    There are many spellings and word combination's for it. The most common spellings used are Juane, Jaune, Flamee', Flamme'and Flammee'. I've seen it listed from just Flamme' or Flammee' to any combination with the words Juane or Jaune. Have even seen the words Juan and Jaun used. I usually just stick to the spelling used by the source of my seeds. I know many growers and vendors do that. And others think their spelling is the only correct one. It is like the Russian varieties. When translating from a spelling in another language many times I think it is who is doing the translating. And my source spelled it as Juane Flammee'. Most everyone says they are the same. Have never heard of another strain unlike many varieties. But it does confuse growers especially those that haven't been around the forums ect. It is like Paul Robeson and Poll Robeson. I'm told the same thing just different spellings. That is why it is so easy for some to get confused about Traveler and Arkansas Traveler. As Dawn can tell you there have been and are still internet wars over spellings and word combination's. If I like it and it produces well I don't care what it is called or how it is spelled.

Sounds like one the tomato elf may need to bring you. I will say it is one that most either like or don't. No in the middle on this one. Flavor varies depending on ripeness when ate. A favorite that usually always produces well and fairly resistant to disease. Except for insect vectored disease I've had very little trouble with it. Jay

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Juane Flamme was my absolute favorite this year. It gave me my first ripe tomatoes of the season (racing with the cherries even!), delicious fruit, golf to tennis ball size, and a good amount.

But then it was one of my first plants stricken with blight.

It's the only one that got so bad that I had to pull it. I did save seed when it was healthy, fermented it on top of the fridge, and gave it a little bleach soak, so I will try again next year.

Jo

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

I'm growing the Juane Flammee' this year and really like the taste. When I originally planted everything, Juane ended up in a container since it was not supposed to get as big as some of the other tomatoes I was growing. It did okay in the container but wasn't totally happy there. We got a few tomatoes off the plant but it wasn't nearly as productive as I knew it could be.

So this morning, after discovering the Tomato Man's tragedy and suddenly having four spaces freed up in the garden, Juane found a new home in the ground along with a few other container plants. We immediately put up a tarp to shade the transplants. All my previously unhappy container tomatoes are smiling now and stretching their legs just a bit.

I'm crossing my fingers now that I can keep them happy.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Jay, Pirate bugs are predators of thrips - which they especially love. Syrphid flies love to consume psyllids and whiteflies. Lacewings also consume both thrips and psyllids, and I know these can be purchased commercially. The adults feed on nectar and aphid honeydew, and it is the larvae that consumes mostly thrips, psyllids, whiteflies, and eggs of other pests. So, if you're interested, you may want to try to purchase the larval forms, because you may not want to wait until the eggs hatch for the work to begin. Purchasing them in 3 batches, spaced 2-3 weeks apart will keep your pests at bay. The larvae will become adults that will lay eggs, and the cycle becomes infinite. If you were here in the City, I could give you a bunch of eggs cuz they are everywhere in my garden. When you garden for butterflies, you garden for much more than butterflies. :)

Planting flowers that attract beneficials help, and you've gotten started with some seed from Dawn. Other flowers that attract beneficials include Cosmos, Zinnias, Verbena bonariensis, fennel, basil, dill, caraway, milkweeds, Monardas (bee balm), Liatris, asters, Cleomes, marigolds, Sunflowers, and many more. I will have seed of many of these, Jay, if you're interested. I would advise fall planting of Verbena bonariensis and Cleome, though, since they need a chilling period to break dormancy.

I thought the containers would be more of a challenge for me, but they're not. My tomatos are doing so much better in containers than they ever did in the ground that I feel like a leap in the air and a shout are in order! If I lived in a rural area, or even an area with a sunny backyard, I would grow them in the ground. But, alas, it is the best I can do and so far, it is THE best I have done,

I am still picking tomatos, so they must have some virtue as container plants. Yes, there are gaps when I am waiting for the green tomatos to blush, but they keep on doing it, so I am not disappointed at all. And, despite blight, they are still producing for now, while my just planted fall group is catching up. So, I wanted to let those who have no alternative but to grow in containers, that it does work and it works very well IMHO, especially in a summer when a lot of tomatos aren't doing so well.

This heat and humidity, though, is about to heat soak my brain. Still I got out and watered, cleaned the hummer feeders and made food and rehung them, and played with Kenna and her little buddy outside this morning until about 2:30 p.m. Whew.......

Susan

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate your responses. Thanks. My computer went down earlier today, so I have not had time to be more specific.

I will address everyone individually tomorrow.

Sammy

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Jay, I forgot to tell you something in my earlier post. Year before last seedmama gave me some agastache seeds and I wintersowed them that winter. They are at the side of my house in two different flower beds, but they have bumble bees on them all day long. I have a smaller plant that I am going to put somewhere in my garden just to bring the bees there. It gets about five feet tall and tends to fall over if not supported, but if you have a permanent place for some I will try to figure out how to save the seeds. I'm sure seedmama or Lisa can tell me how. Once it is established, it just needs a little water and becomes a bumble bee magnet. Better yet, I can get some ready in a pot for you if you would rather do it that way. Bumble bees are my best pollinators.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Farmgardener, I have made a note of Bush Champion, and will look for it next year. Thanks.

Devilwoman, then possibly in time they will pollinate? I hope so. Thanks.

Dawn, my tomatoes are really green, and not too bad since I have cut out the ones that did not perform well. Then, you are saying since the plant is healthy, I can cut it back? If it has not flowers or tomatoes, then there will be do harm done? That is the situation with my Cherokee Purples. There are 4 of them, they look good, but seem to have finished. I guess many others except for the EArly Girl and possibly a few Celebritites.

Thank you for the link to Oxheart. My Oxheart was very small, and the dip in the middle was off to the side. I am anxiously awaititng Jubilee. I really need to start watering twice a day again, and snip off some of the limbs, especially the lanky ones that don't look good. I really appreciate the time you take for my questions, and all the others.

Jay, as I read your response, I realize that when I hand water, I ought to soak the tomatoes. Since I water almost daily, I have not soaked them for awhile. As I was working with some of my roses (in ground) I realize that they are very dry. That means that the first watering in pots could pass through, and not do a good job.

I need to pay more attention to the sizes so I can understand what you are saying about the size. I do not like the super large ones because they split, but I do love the Cherokee Purple, splits and hard tops. Thanks for your response.

Jo and Boomer, I kept getting interrupted when I wrote initially. I have had loads and loads of tomatoes this year. My problem is that they seem to be stopping now. Boomer, the pots are huge, almost the size of whiskey barrels, or we do have whiskey barrels and pots that are that size. We could never bury them.

Soonergrandmom, you probably have a good deal with that concrete wire. That is what we use, and I love it. This is our second year to use some of the cages.

Susan, I also love the containers. I appreciat your naming those good guys, and now I need to google them to see what they look like. I think I have squash bugs, but some look alike. Possibly squash, stink and pirate look alike -- I need to look it up.

Sammy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Sammy,

Yes, green, healthy plants that are cut back in July usually regrow vigorously in August and flower/set fruit well as soon as the temperatures drop into the proper range, which might occur in August or certainly will occur in September.

Plants that I cut back in mid-summer tend to produce better than existing plants I leave alone and also produce better than new plants transplanted into the ground in July since the cut-back plants have large, mature root systems.

Dawn