SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barton_gw

soil tips for red clay and sandstone?

barton
17 years ago

I have a feeling "no till" won't work here.

I'd love to hear the experience of others.

I have a nice garden spot now, want a bigger one, but don't want to repeat the hard work.

Last spring and the winter before, I was digging out huge rocks with pickaxe and prybar. The technique was find the edge of the rock, pry it up a little, wedge a piece of firewood under it, and pry up the other side. Repeat till the hole is full of wood and the rock is level with the top of the ground, then use longer logs to "roll" it to one side. Or bust it up with the sledgehammer.

After half a summer of that, we hired a backhoe to dig it up. The area (12 x 30 feet) looked so devastated afterward it was hard to get back in. I didn't know where to start. Finally last fall I decided to tackle it a little at a time and got back in. I started digging and getting out the "smaller" watermelon size rocks. Used those for landscaping. The little ones, canteloupe size and smaller, got tossed into buckets and moved to areas that needed erosion control. I dug and double dug and raked. I bought compost, cow manure, and straw. I got chicken manure from the bottom of someone's chicken house. I used the city's free wood chips at the bottom of the holes for drainage. Finally planted this spring and was surprised that I got a really good tomato crop.

The middle third is on its second sowing of cowpeas and buckwheat. The last third got dug again last week and just got its first sowing of the cowpeas and buckwheat.

Overall it's working. I'd like a bigger garden but hey, I'm 60 years old and have a job. I'm not sure I want to tackle that again.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville