SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistymorn_gw

Problem With Evergreen Plumeria.

mistymorn
16 years ago

Hi I have this leaf problem with my Singapore Plumeria obtusa *Darwin Petite Pink* I bought it last January as a very small plant about 30 cms tall it sits in a big pot at the bottom of the back stairs in full sun though gets a little shade in the afternoons at different times of the year.. It has grown so much in the past year.

Photo taken 21 Dec 07

I love the delicate flowers on this one.

Ten days later on the 31st Dec the leaves have all these black spots on them.

The spots dont seem to go right through the leaves yet.

Some days they look a purple colour.

I have searched for hours on lots of the Plumeria sites and cannot find a answer to my problem.

Perhaps someone on this forum may know what it is and how to get rid of this problem.

Thanks so much in advance ...Cheers Misty

Comments (42)

• merandy19
    16 years ago

Looks like rust.

Randy in Savannah

• mystwitch
    16 years ago

Its not rust, it is a virus of some sort and I have had it on my Dwarf Pink Sing. It does not seem to hurt the plant. I have used Bayleton on it and it seems to help. Maybe someone else has better information.
    kb

• Related Discussions

Evergreen Wisteria transplant problem

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello, I bought an evergreen wisteria a month ago and I haven't seen any growth. Quite a bit of its leaves have dropped and several have brown tips. I'm not sure what the best option is. Should I transplant or is there something I need to give it to help? The soil is slightly alkaline, I planted it with compost soil, but the natural soil is just FL sand. It gets at least 7 hours of sun. I don't want to kill it by changing locations. Any suggestions?
    ...See More

New to Plumeria Forum

Q

Comments (8)
    Welcome Ray, I was going to wait for others to chime in. I would just say if you trim all the branches this spring, you certainly will not get any blooms this summer. Are you wanting to trim because it's getting too large for your space? Plumerias bloom on mature, beefy tips most times. If you trim, the new shoots won't probably bloom until next season. You may consider trimming back just 25% of the tips this year. And do the same next year and so on. This will give you at least a chance of getting bloom. Also, some varieties of plumerias are just ungainly. I have several that get huge and have long branches between blooms. Others I have are more compact plants. I'm trying to move toward keeping only the compact ones, but have a hard time throwing out large ones, as the blooms are beautiful! Do you set your plant outside in summer? Sounds like your winter space is good. But I would consider plunging it -- pot and all -- in a sunny, well-drained spot in your yard in late May for the summer. Sun, your humidity, and some fertilizer (low nitrogen) should really get it going. I like to use Bayer All-in-One Rose fertilizer with disease, insect control and fertizer. The roots will likely grow out of the drainage holes of the pot and into your garden soil. This will give it a boost too. Have you repotted recently? You may want to pot next size up, or trim an inch of the rootball in early Spring and repot with fresh soil. Some people also plant directly in the ground (no pot) for summer. I may do that with some this season. Ground needs to be warm -- as well as night temps. Don't know what else to tell you but healthy, fast-growing roots make happy blooming plants. Sounds like yours might be a bit rootbound and is needing more root room -- as well as sun.
    ...See More

Plumeria problem

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi! One plant is in a very large maybe 15 gallon? Pot. The other is in a smaller 3 gallon. I think the tips look okay. There is some discoloration on stem if larger one. I have had problems with scales last summer. Treated with Hort Oil and been Oil several times last summer. I sprayed all my plumerias with Hort oil again in March and again in May . There are no yellow leaves this morning on the large Plumeria and very slight yellowing beginning on on 2 leaves if the smaller one. Don’t know what’s going on in the stem On the 3rd picture? Thanks for your suggestions!
    ...See More

Need help with a plumeria problem

Q

Comments (9)
    i dont do P's ... nor CA ... soooo ... fwiw ... lol it appears this plant serves a sight block purpose ... if so ... get rid of it ... and replace it ... and buy a better specimen ... this on appears to have been grown with a poor crotch angle ... to the extent.. that it collapsed ... choosing a better one.. at point of sale would be key ... https://duckduckgo.com/?q=crotch+angle&t=ffcm&iax=images&ia=images otherwise .... it might take 2 to 4 years.. for this one to recover to the size you need for sight block.. though it might all happen faster in CA ... thats the part i dont know ... in the first pic.. i can still see the planting hole.. and that soil looks really dry ... if you do plant a new one .... it can be done better .. and watering will need to be perfected for a couple years ... and proper watering of a transplant will not rely on some drip system ... see link for a primer on planting a shrub ... https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub unless i am way out in left field.. it can not be divided.... and its not worth you trying to graft it .. imo .... and.. since its out front of your castle... i would not try to tie it up and hope it heals and all that ... if something like this was out back on my 5 acres.. thats one thing.. but who wants to look at all that for 3 to 5 year.. while you hope it somehow can heal itself ... only to fail again.. down the line ... good luck ken
    ...See More
  • mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Randy ..And Thanks...No I don't think it is rust the plant also got rust on it later that Summer, then it got burnt badly with the frost in late July kind of unheard of in this area of Australia being sub-tropical and on the Coast I also lost my red Plumeria and one of my Bougainvillea that night/morning as well plus a few others though they came back ok.

Looking at all it has been through the past year it has come back well.

Thank you kb I did a search on Bayleton and I am able to get it here so I will look around for it.

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Karen. And Thank you...I am sorry to hear that you have had this problem also, its a bit of a worry and a shame as its such a delightful shrub, I have a friend who is posting me some cuttings of the white evergreen I wonder if that one suffers from the same problem thankfully none of my other ones do.

I have some black spot treatment I will try that then and I will take your advice and try not to spill it on the plant in its pure form..

Take care now and I hope you get rid if that flu very soon..

Cheers..Misty

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Misty,
    I remember reading about that sudden cold spell, happened here in Feb. we all lost a lot of plants, sure not fair. ARe you in summer now? I have friends who live in Western Australia, who grow Plumeria. Its 104 now..mercy.
    Western Autstralia temps are very similar to where I live in So. CA.
    Karen B.

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Karen yes we are in Summer now and half of it is gone already, its been cool 25 deg most days, grey and wet for a change having said that its 29 degs Celsius at present and a lot cooler than the 40 deg plus they have been getting in WA.

We have had rain this Summer for a change so the humidity is oppressive being Sub-Tropical so maybe that has caused the Plumeria to get these spots.

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Misty,
    So you are on the other side of Australia, cooling down, where Western Australia is very hot now and humid. Correct? I e-mail my friend who lives near Perth..they have visited my husband and me, good friends. Tells me about your country, how the temps change, different plants too. I get confused though. ha..

So if your summer is leaving, you are going into winter? guess thats right. then, when you are sadly chilly, we are heading into spring and then into very hot summers. Interesting how the world temps are so different and so much like here. My area, So. CA is very arid, and gets very hot in the summer. I grow many flowers the same, hybiscus, cannas, tropical.. ( which now can suffer in cool temps) Good luck to your plumies.
    Karen B.

• hubbard
    16 years ago

Misty,
    As many of your fellow plumie lovers have said, it might be rust or black spot. I've had it on my on my plants and have tried all sorts of remedies. Sometimes it works sometimes they go into dormancy before I'm able to tell if the treatment is workings. I just read some info on plumies going dormant and it said that there is a fungus in plumerias that when a plant starts to go into dormancy, the fungus appears to naturally help the plant defoliate. The fungus looks alot like rust or black spot. I live in So Cal and have lost most of the leaves on all of my plumies exept on my singapores. They are just starting to get that black leaf look on some of the top leaves. I'll try to find you the link were I read about it.
    Chris

• hubbard
    16 years ago

Misty,
    I found the link about rust. Check it out
    http://www.floridacolors.com/info%20page.htm
    Chris

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Chris,
    What Misty has is not rust, sorry. There is not a lot on this board that I have had experience with...except this one.

If you order anything from Florida and its sent to So. CA in the spring, it will have rust. Damp growing conditions, like Florida colors. Rust is underneath the leaf, stick outward and is rusty looking, nasty. Here in So. CA..if warm, just cut the leaves off to a stub and will put out new leaves and be gone. Depends where you are. I have had this on several of my plants. Damp areas, you have to treat it.

what Misty has is black spot, I have had this on singapore..totally different. Now I do know that black spot is catching to plants near by. I had my pink singapore near about 4 plants on my patio..all got a form of it. sooo. removed all the leaves to stups, to re-leaf out pink guy was isolated..the others took off the leaves effected, they thank heavens were ok. now sadly do not trust my pink singapore. If it comes back on this one next year, one I have, sadly will go in the trash.
    Karen B

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Chris I am very familiar with rust and believe me its not rust as I had that on my pink and red one two years ago and I sprayed those two with a fungicide, last year they came back with deformed branches about 15cms to 20 cms from the claws. They were about 3 mts tall and I cut them down to a metre high stump last April to site our 23,000 litre rainwater tank.

As I said above the red one was burnt by frost as it was planted on the cold south side of the garden where the pink one was planted under gum trees on the West side and survived its in the middle at the back of this pic.

As you can see it is coming on very well this Summer but I doubt it will flower this year.

I would not be surprised if it is Black-spot as my 42 roses are covered in it due to the unusual cool damp weather we are having here after years of drought and much warmer weather.. I am not moaning as we need this rain bad and I am enjoying the cooler Summer and if I lose a few plants because of it, it will be sad but I have nine other Plumeria double up on some colours but not this evergreen..

Karen we are heading towards the hottest time on the year here February being our warmest month it stays around 28 deg for many months then starts to cool down around the last week in May... The Winter days are usually sunny and warm here even the nights are not too bad, but the early mornings between 5 and 6 am is when we have those very cold snaps and the frost which sends me looking for warm clothes but that is six months away yet..

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Misty,
    Love seeing pictures, you have a nice area there..Gum trees..now that is a new one to us here. Where are they from? What do they look like?

So Feb. your warmest month, we may be the opposite, hope not. Seems here in the middle of the night, around 2 am as said on the news, is where we hit mid 30's sometimes. That temp is too cold for plumeria. We are suppose to warm up for the weekend, so will take my plants out of the house and put them outside. This is all new for me, never have done this.

I hope pink singpore makes it for you, its such a pretty one. If you did have a problem, www.floridacolors.com have this one. What is your leafy plant??

Karen b.

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Karen..Thats what I get for using common names it is our Australian Eucalyptus tree and they call them Gum trees because some extrude gum from the break in the bark. Have a look at the pic below the one on the left of that grey seat with the rough bark is Eucalyptus sideroxylon its called Mugga Ironbark and has small cream flowers in the winter/spring they are also the one on the far left in the neighbours garden.

Now that Eucalyptus on the right of that seat loosing its bark is about 70 ft tall could be a Grey Gum I think but have no idea at to which one it could even be a ghost gum I took this pic just now it was raining and so dark tried to lighten/brighten in Photoshop hope it alright. I posted a bigger pic so you can see hope its not too big either.

That big leaf plant in the other pic is a Alocasia common name here Elephant Ears and you can see why.

Yes that week we had two white frosts and a black one as the temp got down to -2 degs Celsius you can understand why my tropicals got burnt even some of the natives copped it, its never been that cold here before to my knowledge and I hope it never is again..

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Misty,
    Great pictures,trees 70 feet in the air. Yes, eucalyptus, have them around the corner, huge trees. You did great with photoshop, I can see the foliage and your place. elephant ears, yes do have that here, such a pretty plant.

so sorry on the white frosts, we have not got the white frost with that cool of temps, hope do not, did in Feb, feel for you. cold enough though that plumeria cannot handle. 30's here is way too cold. We are now in 40's hope to go higher this weekend. thanks so much for the pictures.
    Karen B

• kasiec
    16 years ago

Hi Misty - your dwarf Singapore and garden is so beautiful. Can just imagine myself with a good book and tea. And 42 roses? I love them too.

Hi Karen - this temperature is torturing us more than our plumies huh?

Kasie

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Kasie,
    ' yes, envy the warm temps, hate being cold.. suppose to warm up for about a week, then think get cooler. so don't have to worry about plants for a week or so.

Karen B.

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kasie Thank you and Karen too cold for me

I was out taking some pics of the roses after lunch not a great lot there and what are have been slightly ruined by the rain we had last week and the humidity at present it oppressive its draining me all I have done this week is mow wet grass, prune my many Bougainvillea, Hibiscus, Calliandra and pull weeds also spray weeds on our gravel driveway I have not got around to dead heading the roses yet. This was taken just before Christmas and the rain.

Charles de Gaulle

Its like a jungle out there in our garden this morning we went to a Sunday Market and I bought a few more Caladium's here is one picked it up for $4

But I am a sucker for Plumeria no will power as I went past this one the pot practically jumped into my arms.

Plumeria rubra Darwin Sunset its got two small branches on it, so I held on to it as Hubby said, Oh not another one that will make up for the beautiful red that got killed by the frost.

Girls can you blame me..

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Charles,
    Ahhhh you are warming out hearts!!!! Love your roses in bloom!!! Calidums..not familiar with them, but look so delicate. Oh yes more plumeria for sure. Love your pictures.. Will show picture this summer..come back we will have blooms. ha
    Karen B

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calidiums the whites they are so delicate Karen, green/pink are much tougher.

Yes I will look for your Plumeria in your Summer.

Which Month do yours Flower Please..!!!....Misty

• hubbard
    16 years ago

Misty,
    How do you download your pics onto your messages. I've not been able to understand how you do that. The plants look great. Do giant spider lilies grow there? I grow them with my plumies and want to post a picture of one I've been growing for about six years. I keep digging it up everytime I move to a different house.
    Thanks,Chris

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Chris. First off if you want to put more than one photo on your topic they must be on a photo storage website somewhere on the WWW there are lots out there I use Photobucket its free if you want to use it you can get it here Photobucket

Don't forget to resize them I used the 600x450 size as I am on other Forums though up to 800x600 is Ok for some.
    I do that in my imagining program Photoshop.
    If you dont have one this is a very easy resizer lots of my friends use it, its also free Resizer

After you have uploaded you photo's to photobucket from your computer hard drive or whatever, there are tutorials on that site to help you, then you just copy and paste your photos to your post just left click on the third line the HTML Code line and paste it on to your topic by right clicking and paste

And here it is one of my Hibiscus. Maybe I should have put my Yellow Plumeria on..

Don't forget to put it on a new line and I hope this has been a help to you.

Yes we have spider lilies here though I don't grow them ...Cheers... Misty

• barske
    16 years ago

Hi Misty

I just joined this forum and came across your problem with the evergreen Petite Pink. A really beautifull plant you have there but sad with the spots on the leaves I hope you will be able to deal with them. In November I got 3 "Petite Pink" and 1 "Petersons Gold" dwarfs from Hawaii and I really look forward to see the flowers on them however they are small cuttings so it might take some time. First they looked a little sad from the looong trip to here but by now 2 of the plants have made 4 new leaves so there is progress the other 2 is still waiting. I live in Denmark Europe and we are in the middle of our windy and wet winter so I took the plants indside for giving them a good start. I'll try to add some pics after your recepie of doing so. I have lived in Orange County California for 2 years and a friend gave me a Plumeria cutting to bring to Denmark to see if I could grow it here and now I have been growing it here for 19 years, but it's getting too big for me to handle so I need to cut it some down. Would you know of more nice dwarfs that would be easier for me to keep here I would be very happy to hear about it. I'm very new to this site and hope I can get some help in here.

Best regards Soren, Denmark

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Soren its good to see you got the pics on of your plants with my instructions.. Well Done..
    I must say they are very healthy looking those cuttings you have potted up.

That is the only dwarf I have at present as they are very hard to find in Australia there are a few on this link below have a look at page three and four.
    A lot of people call Plumeria *Frangipani* here..

You may be able to get similar ones in the Northern Hemisphere some where, perhaps you could start off a new post and ask the Members here, best of luck with finding more of these beautiful flowering plants..

Cheers Misty..

Here is a link that might be useful: Sacred Garden Frangipani

• barske
    16 years ago

Hi Misty

Thank you for the link, yes they look very good but I wonder if this nursery will send to Denmark I will give it a try. At the moment I have Pink Petite, Peterson's Gold, Singapore Yellow, Dwarf Deciduous and 2 other that have not bloomed yet. I'm also trying to get the "Patio Plumeria" a very nice active little Plumeria I saw at a nurery in Florida.

They call the plant Frangipani here in Europe too, I just got the name "Plumeria" printed good in my mind the 2 years I lived in California. That is kind of weird that the Plumeria name comes from a Frensh guy who discovered the plant somewhere, don't remember the story right. My brother calls it a susagetrees and makes fun of them when they are dormant in the wintertime.

I hope someone in this forum maybe will share cuttings.

I thought Australia was loaded with Frangipani/Plumerias as a lady in a Danish forum was looking for this plant during 3 years after having seen it in Australia. The plant is not really known in Denmark but I told her that I had several plants and she came to my house and neraly emptied my greenhouse. She is still keeping a very close contact and is starting up getting more plants herself.

Cheers Soren

• musarojo
    16 years ago

Misty,

Thanks for the Sacred Garden link. I live in Arizona, so I wonÂt be able to buy from them, but they note which plants are dwarf or semi-dwarf. Some of these plants are available in the states, but most sellers do not describe the growth habits of the varieties they carry. Sacred Garden also has good pictures and descriptions of species plants; I havenÂt been able to find more than the name for most of these plants. IÂve bookmarked the site to use as a resource when IÂm making decisions on which varieties to acquire.

Philip

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am glad you both liked the link I only put it on so you could see the names and colours.

Soren there are plenty of the plants growing in peoples gardens you just don't see many to buy. You can buy some from the big Nurseries/Hardware Warehouse's like at this present time and some of the variety stores but if you want something different you have to get them from the online mail-order sites

Philip it is a good site to bookmark plenty there to look at and dream about I rather like the two purple ones but not the price..

I am on the look out for this one now I seen it in November growing here in the Brisbane Botanic Gardens

Plumeria rubra Cleveland Tangerine

I have not seen anything like this colour before..

Cheers...Misty

• barske
    16 years ago

Wow that flower is a breath taker wish I could smell it. I contacted the Sacred Garden they are very polite people now I'm waiting for an email so we can find out how to ship the plants overhere. Thank you again Misty.

I only got this photo of my common yellow right now not so stunning and deatailed as the one you show but still a good smeller.

Soren

• mystwitch
    16 years ago

Beautiful photo and look at those adenium blooms right behind it! Good luck on getting your patio plumeria.
    kb( the one in Texas)

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is beautiful also Soren.
    And isn't that fantastic that you may be getting a new one from Australia best of luck with that.

Cheers Misty.

• barske
    16 years ago

Hi Misty,

How is your "Petite Pink" doing, did you find a way to deal with the brown spots on the leaves or what caused the problem? Weird enough one out of my three "Petite Pinks" that I got in November last year has got brown spots on the leaves too but it seems only to appear on the older leaves (near my fingers).

Soren

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Misty,
    I am starting again with a new pink sinagapore. Mine from last year died. So am starting all over with a new one, cute little one, just got it from Florida. the size, will take a long time to be a medium size plant. see no rust or black spot..pray it does not develop. Is cool temps now outside, inside to keep warm, hoping that might be a reason for black spot.

Last year had to keep the pink singapore away from all plants found was catching, sure hope this one will be ok.. how is yours doing? Your winter is coming now, we are starting summer.
    Karen B.

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Soren and Karen

It looks terrible not only is its leaves still getting that black spot they are now getting covered in Rust actually all my plants have rust and every day I go out and bag and bin more of the leaves. I think it will be best if I take all the leaves off every Plumeria plant in the garden

We have had a wet and kind of cold Summer and as we head past the middle of Autumn some of my plants still have not flowered my white with a pink edge over two years old now finally got a bud but has yet to open maybe one day this week, none of the fruit salad or tri colour ones have flowered and the pink well only half of them have flowered.

A few weeks back I managed to find another Red Plumeria plant like the one that was killed by the frost last July its still in the pot I must plant it soon I also bought one for a friend who lost his too..

That's no good that you are getting it on your plant also Soren as going by the pic it looks so healthy.

And Karen I am sorry to hear about your plant dieing its a bit of a worry all these spots I do hope that your new plant does not have these problems like my one has... Yes we are heading towards winter now and the mornings and late evenings are getting really cool and if I hear of a frost this year I will have to cover the plants with something as its very upsetting when you lose plants like this in the sub-tropics..

Best of luck to both of you on your Petite Pinks..

Cheers...Mary-Anne

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Mary Anne,
    Well On Pink Singapore, have rust from arrival from a damp state, I am arrid have hopes this time. I have removed the leaves with rust, cut the leaves off to a nub. Find spaying does no good. I hope this one is strong and will not keep developing rust and black spot. If it does will have to find an area and just put it by its self to develop!!! little area with flower around it. ha

I read an article that if you cover your plants with a cloth, like a sheet..then plastic over the sheet, put rocks on the ground to keep it down on the plastic, will protect it from wet and cold. Sheet keeps it warm, plastic , protects from dampness. Plastic on plumies alone is a no no, can over heat and burn it...

I am going to try this this winter, we have a lot of cold temps, wind and rain. Maybe will work for you. Will put my potted plants on the patio, and try this..Plants in the ground..hope.. Best for you. you too had a freeze like us..
    Karen B.

• maya88
    16 years ago

Hi Misty
    I live way up north where the weather is usually constant but last winter was the first cold snap that had me running to put the reverse cycle on.

I have just plunged in and bought a Jacks Purple from Sacred Gardens,it just arrived last week as has my Angel Trumpets. Both plants are so hardy and hardly need any looking after and look divine,divine,divine.

Keep in touch ,hope your singapore survives....Mya

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Karen.. I started removing all the leaves from mine yesterday I did four plants and ran out of time as I was planting the Hibiscus I grew from cuttings in late January. I will have to make time this afternoon but busy again digging up Canna Lily Rhizomes for members here to give away I have got to clean them up and label and package them before 3pm that will give me one hour after I get off all my Garden Forums never enough time is there.

Here is the Petite Pink a but bare now Alas so is Diana.

Just stopped for lunch you see, I know I should not eat my sandwich at the computer should I ...

I will be covering mine with old curtains only trouble is its a ladder job on some as they are tall..
    Its a good idea to put your potted ones uncover next winter.

************************************************************************************************************

May if you felt it cold up there imagine what it was like here would you believe three days -2 in the Subtropics that must be a record..

I bet you saved hard for that one good on you, I would love to see some pics of it when it flowers I do hope its this coming Summer mine seem to take two years don't know why..I usually post on the Australia site but no one there these days so I joined another Aussie Gardening Forum small but its great...

Cheers Girls.........Mary-Anne

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Misty,
    Love Diana.she is spendid. Be careful on the drapes..they are good, if you would have rain, and it got wet. your plant can suffer getting really cold and damp with tip damage. This happened to one of my large plants on the patio. Had it covered too with a sheet, but got so wet with rain blowing. It froze beacause of the wet. If it had of had plastic over it, might have done better. Is coming out of it, but a heavy bloomer, will see if this stops summer bloom. Hope not

If plants out in the weather, find a light shade cloth that has plastic on the outside and cloth inside.
    Karen B.

• maya88
    16 years ago

Hi Mary-Anne

Yes my Jack Purple did cost but I'm sure it will be worth it ,when he flowers. I'm having to take him outside for the full sun (I live on Magnetic Island) and bring him inside, till I can plant and place a guard around him, to protect him from the wallabies....they love frangipanis as much as I do!!!!!.
    My husband has said we can't possibly fit anymore frangis in the garden, so now I'm also collecting brugmansias(Angel Trumpets) but Steve at Sacred Gardens, has a few more exotic frangipanis that I'm lusting after, so watch this space......weather here is still glorious 19C-30C and full sunshine...talk soon

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't usually have that problem here Karen and no Winter rains to speak of I have too many plants to cover with 9 varieties and around 20 plants now.. I planted three Fruit Salad or Tri colour today, I grew from a friends cuttings and the new red one I bought.

Good on you May and yes I think it will be worth it also, 13-26 degs but its warming up again they say 30 on Saturday. A Island gal that's great I was born in Townsville.. I will be looking forward to those Pics..

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Also- you mentioned its getting shaded. That will do it too. I moved mine as the lower sun was making more and longer shade. Now in full sun again..those spots are gone.

• PRO
    Sanju
    2 years ago

It's a dry plant. So don't water the leaf. Just water it once a day. Keep in hot sun.

• HU-773049445
    2 years ago

My Aussie dwarf Frangipani sits in full sun on the balcony. Last year it developed 'rust' spots on the leaves so I removed quickly and binned them. Nearby full-sized frangipani trees have a lot of leaf disease, so I spray both sides of my leaves with white oil every month. Seems to have worked this summer - and it's HOT. Lots more new growth and flowers.