SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dpolson37

Tip rot photo and grafting attempt

dpolson37
12 years ago

Happy New Year everyone,

I noticed the other day that one of my tips was rotting and needed to be pruned to save the rest of the plant. It was suggested that I take a look at the roots and see if there was any trouble there. From what I saw, the roots were OK.

I ended up having to prune about 8 inches off until I saw white sap flowing. With good roots and sap flowing I thought why not attempt to graft another cutting I had laying around that was just beginning to wake up. I've never grafted before and now have even more respect for Florida Colors. How they manage to get those rubber bands tightly wound around grafts is beyond me.

I'm sure the packing tape I used is setting me up for failure, but I had to make a quick decision and figured why not? So time will tell if this works. It's not exactly the best time to graft, but the cutting I used was already starting to wake up so I figured it might just work. I'm going to place the grafted plumeria in a growing rack that has 80 degree temps and 65 percent humidity so we'll see.

Dave
{{gwi:1150111}}From Garden 2012

{{gwi:1150112}}From Garden 2012

{{gwi:1150113}}From Garden 2012

{{gwi:1150114}}From Garden 2012

Comments (9)