SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murkwell

How long can aphids survive without food?

murkwell
18 years ago

I made the mistake of bringing in some peppers from outside to overwinter at the same time I was starting seedlings under lights.

Needless to say I am now raising aphids instead of peppers.

The good news is that the seedlings were mostly considered just an experiment since I've never grown from seed before. Even though it is exciting to see that they are flowering and beginning peppers, its possible that I might be able to emotionally part with them.

Now that it is getting time to start the real seedlings for this coming spring, I am considering what the best approach may be to dealing with the aphids. I've tried controlling them with Safer Insecticidal spray. It seems to slow them down for a few days, but I'm not organized and methodical enough to effectively stamp them out.

I am thinking that it may come to getting rid of the seedlings and starting fresh. My question is, assuming I remove all of the hosts in the house, how long do I have to wait before I reintroduce tender pepperlings?

Any suggestions for an alternate approach? I probably have 30 or so seedlings, mostly in 4 inch pots, as well as some in maybe 5x10 oval containers.

A complicating factor is that I have a few plants that I will try to preserve.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor