SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

May pics 2010

tropicalzone7
13 years ago

Heres whats going on in my yard...

This is by the pool. Lots of different plants in this pic including a philodendron, windmill palm, livingstonia (aka chinese fan palm) pineapple, money tree, pixie lilies, and violets. The philodendron and pineapple are going to be dug up in the fall. The windmill palm, pixie lily, and violet are spending there second summer in the ground now after making it through the winter, and this coming winter will be the first winter it has spent outdoors.

This a continuation of the first pic. My other windmill palm which also made it through the winter is in this as well as some more pixie lilies, a Schefflera arboricola, a pindo palm, a plumeria pudica (thats the stick looking thing) and a thai black banana will go in the back.

Here are some more tropicals including a red mandevilla which almost didnt make it but is now making a nice come back. The banana in this pic is an ice cream banana

You can see some spanish moss, a thanksgiving cactus, and a staghorn fern in this pic

Here is a planter full of pink lace cactus with one of them in bloom and a few more in bud. I plan on keeping these outside all year long but moving them to a better spot during the winter months.

Some more spanish moss as well as a hawaiian ti plant, some bromeliads in the hanging basket, croton on the bottom right side and a variegated rubber tree.

In this is my Chamaedorea microspadix (its still a seedling) and a newly planted windmill palm. Inbetween these two palms is a pink lace cactus and a eastern prickly pear.

The palm in this pic is a sabal domingensis (this winter will be its first in the ground) and the ferns with some ostrich ferns underneath.

This winter will also be the first winter for my medditeranean fan palm.

My sabal minor is finally shooting up some new leaves after getting some leaf burn to the tips from this past winter.

This is an Ornithogalum longibracteatum. Its making 2 flower stalks. The stem that holds the flower gets pretty long and the one in this pic is about 2 feet long already and still hasnt opened its flowers. It will probably begin flowering in a week or 2 and will last about a month or so.

Some more potted plants. The seedlings are my 3 year old windmill palms and the long pots have dragon wing begonia seedlings in them. Also in this pic are my 2 new orleanders and my 5 year old queen palm.

Heres my pindo palm. Its slowly pushing up a new leaf but at least it made it trhough the winter without damage.

In the long pots are some cannas and what I thought was an areca is actually a cat palm which is now making seeds. Im not sure if they are viable but Ill test them anyway.

My canna robert kemp are finally comming up. I had these cannas a few years ago and didnt know the name and when I finally found the name, I had to get some. Another plus about this canna is that the seeds germinate very easily and true to the name.

Lots of plants in this pic including a mexican petunia, plumeria (thats the large forked stick in the back), elephant ear (just begining to get some decent growth) sago palm (that needs a new flush), Musa cheka bananas, agave americana variegrated, the gray pot to the right is a musella which was chopped down to the soil accidentally, but is growing back, and all the way in the right corner behind the cannas is a solandra maxima.

My new pindo is to the left with my cavendish which is very slowly growing and a 4 year old orange tree grown from seed.

Pool area plants including a pygmy palm, umbrella tree, coconut palm (in the back), double peach hibiscus (still recovering but it does have some flower buds), and a super dwarf cavendish.

Thanks for looking!!! All these plants have a lot more growing to do so hopefully the summer will be nice and warm!

Good luck everyone!!!

-Alex

Comments (25)