SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

A couple of photos for you :)

Central_Cali369
11 years ago

Hello Guys and Gals!

I haven't posted here in a while, but I do check in weekly for my palm fix ;)

I have a couple of photos of my palms for you to enjoy :)

I posted photos of this beautiful Kentia before, some of you may remember seeing it

{{gwi:1135741}}

Well... This winter we had a nasty freeze on two nights. I never protected this palm any more than throwing a light sheet over it on cold nights, but this time it wasn't enought :( Even my majesty palm which was fully wrapped had severe damage. We reportedly got to 23 degrees F. This is what this Kentia looked like in February. Today, I pulled out four of the center fronds :( It looks like this palm is now history. I have another one that will be replacing it :D

{{gwi:1135742}}

Even that Tibouchina shrub died down to about 1 foot of trunk, and the Cyathea Cooperi took a pretty nasty hit. As of today, the tibouchina has resprouted and the Tree fern looks as good as it did before. Interestingly, you can see a Blechnum Gibbum and some Spathyphyllum lilies that didn't receive any apparent damage.

This one here is my Jubaea Chilensis seedling. I planted it out in December 2007 and it has pretty much been fending for itself since then. I probably should be watering it to encourage faster growth, but I'm really lucky that this palm seems to be right at home here, drought and all. It is planted in the driest, hottest, most inhospitable part of my yard along with other very tolerant plants.

{{gwi:1135743}}

And here are a couple of other photos from today :)

My Erythrina Crista-Galli tree is just coming into bloom

{{gwi:1135745}}

Some very colorful cacti (unsure of the species). Also there's a volunteer Phoenix Canariensis in the background.

{{gwi:548739}}

Native California Mimulus

{{gwi:548753}}

And lastly, a couple of shots of our Coastal Hills that I took on a hike two weeks ago.

{{gwi:1135747}}
{{gwi:1135748}}

Comments (6)