SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devilwoman_gw

Questions aboutt composting

devilwoman
15 years ago

My step-dad had a veggie garden in our back yard when I was in high school, and I remember he had us save all the "organic" waste - such as fruit and vegetable stems and peels and eggshells - which he then put in the garden. I either never knew or don't recall how he did that, whether he just dumped them on the ground or worked them in or what. I definitely do not remember an actual compost pile. I know my granddad always put his grass clippings as mulch on his veggie garden.

Being a single woman I probably don't generate much "organic" waste, but might I still be able to make a small compost pile in my backyard and do so without creating any noxious odors sufficient to incur the wrath of my neighbors?

Daddy was the only coffee drinker in the house when I was a kid so he just used instant, but I drink coffee every day so coffee grounds is something I would have daily. I also take green onions for lunch nearly every day. Aren't these two things I could definitely compost? Would I need to remove the coffee filter (I buy unbleached, brown ones) or could it go in, too? So far, I've been leaving the grass clippings in the lawn, but I do have a catcher for the manual mower I use in front and could always rake up the ones in back.

Can a compost pile be created in a heavily-shaded area or does it need sunlight? I've read about people adding shredded paper to compost, does that include normal junk mail? I shred all kinds of junk mail/bills that have personal information on them I don't want going into the trash whole. What other types of ordinary trash can be composted?

While there aren't any leaves to speak of now, I remember there being lots and lots of them when I bought the house last fall. I'm also nearly constantly pulling up weed trees that sprout from all the seeds blown around the neighborhood, plus I have a few dead twigs/branches to cut off evergreen trees. I know large branches can't be used, but what would be the determining factor as to whether a branch is small enough or too large?

I had previously discarded the idea of making a compost pile as I figured they all reeked, and my neighbors wouldn't appreciate the odor. But if it's possible to keep the odor down, and especially if a pile would work in shade, then I think I could arrange a spot that keeps it a good distance from my house and all the neighbors, too.

Debra

Comments (9)