SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trunorth7

HELP! Wild Turkey explosion!

TruNorth7
12 years ago

Over the last two years, wild turkeys have become the bane of my existence. I used to think the deer were bad. Ha. Was I wrong. I have a flock of 51 wild turkeys (yes, i count regularly) who roam my property, in addition to a few small flocks of transient jakes and toms. They have discovered the delicacies contained in my various flower beds, particularly some ranunculus of which I was very proud.

I have found various deer repellents which work to some extent, and am wondering if the same will keep the turkeys out of my plants. The deer HATE some of the sprays available at my local garden center, but after the smell made me vomit among the dahlias last year, I stopped using them. I found they avoid areas with onions and garlic growing, and mixtures of the two chopped. (they also find offensive little sachets of my own hair. This worked well, but I got so many questions about what was in that pretty-little-ribbon-tied-sack hanging from everything, followed by subsequent VERY strange looks, that I stopped this particular practice for the time being. I am told it was creepy.)

What do you folks think? Would onions/garlic help repel turkeys? I would hate to put out something that attracts them, so I thought I'd ask first. Also, they are not the least bit afraid of me, my dog, or anything besides being sprayed with a hose.

I can't help the desire to shoot them then make a nice turkey stock with the onions rather than tossing them in the garden, but unfortunately that's not an option. Bummer... I'd have food for years.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz