SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

A nice day in my garden

wetsuiter
12 years ago

It was a particularly sunny day today illuminating the azaleas in full bloom, so I took a few photos. I'm enjoying having mobile photobucket on my phone. While it's not very easy to upload multiple photos directly from the phone to the forum, it does make it a lot easier than having to use my digital cameral, download and reformat photos.

A view over the fronds of one of my windmills.

From the Victorian wrap-around back porch.

A newly planted saw palmetto behind the azalea and my pindo, after it's first winter. Only a tiny bit of cold damage noticed. Seems to be growing normally otherwise, pushing out a mostly green frond.

Another saw palmetto, a needle palm, and back towards the pindo. The crapes are just starting to leaf out after a big cut back this year. They were getting too tall to manage, so had to "hack" them.

From back of garden looking front. Two older windmills framing the porch steps, by the gate. Bananas are getting to be two feet tall along the porch. They reach up to the roof by October every year. I have to thin them out so I only have about five in each clump, otherwise it's just too thick. Pindo to the left side of the photo.

One more close up of pink azalea with saw palmetto and pindo to the rear.

I pruned back my camellia last week after an amazing four months of non-stop blooms (Early December to Mid-April). I needed to give my Med Fan some breathing room. I deliberately didn't prune the camellias last year to offer the new palm some wind protection. The Med Fan did great through the winter, other than some pesky white scale and has already pushed out a few fronds. A blue pot special from Home Depot last year.

Two other, smaller Med Fans out in the back beds. Also "rescued" blue pots from a Home Depot farther in Dover, Delaware. I figured they didn't know what to do with them in their zone 7a anyway.

A large needle I picked up at the end of the season for half price from Lowes. Another blue pot.

This little windmill did really well for its first winter, even on the southwest side of the property and a bit more exposed than the others. If it gets as big as some of the others around our area, this will be a very prominent palm out in my front bed and will frame the left side of my porch. All the other windmills are hidden behind my house in the fenced in garden.

Thanks for viewing.

Comments (10)