SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

A GREAT Hummingbird Year

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

We always have "some" hummingbirds here, but this is by far the best year ever and we are enjoying it so much.

Normally, we have pretty large numbers of hummers during both the spring and fall migration and only a moderate number in between.

This year, the hummers arrived earlier than usual, in larger numbers than usual and we have 3 different kinds instead of just the usual Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

We almost always see a few Black-Chinned Hummingbirds and Rufous Hummingbirds during migration periods, but not necessarily at any other time. This year, though, they have stuck around. I have had Rufous and Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds at the feeders and in the garden daily, but only saw Black-Chinned in April and May. Suddenly, though, I am seeing more of the Black-Chinned Hummers at the feeders. I just love it.

I have 5 hummingbird feeders, but the one they visit most is the one right outside my kitchen window. Sometimes they hover in front of the window and stare at me while I'm standing there at the kitchen sink. Out in the garden, they often buzz me and fly in circles around my head--usually when they do that, they have a nest nearby although I haven't seen a nest.

I hope the rest of you are having a good hummingbird year too.

Dawn

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County