SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chad_emrick

De-fruiting queen palm seeds / Back from Florida

chad_emrick
15 years ago

I just got back from a vacation to Florida today, and it was amazing. I saw so many fantastic palms, and even took home a coconut! I'll try to germinate it this summer, and see how that pans out hahaha. I know it will most likely just die in the fall, but what the heck, I can say I have a coconut palm for a little bit maybe. I didn't get to go too far south, only to Melbourne. We stayed in Orlando so I couldn't convince my parents to drive too far. I was surprised to see a cluster of cuban royals living near our hotel. They didn't seem to be doing poorly either. There were also TONS of bismarck palms, and even though they are supposed to be planted in warmer zones, most were doing okay. Except for this bunch in Universal Studios. Those looked terrible. I enjoyed riding down the coast with my parents and seeing tons of coconut palms growing there. They were all fruiting too. I was surprised how far up the coast they were. I always thought you had to be a lot closer to Miami/The keys to be able to grow coconuts. I was looking for palm seeds constantly, and drove my parents insane asking them to pull over in random places so I could check. I managed to get back with some queen palm seeds, and some sabal palmetto seeds. I COULD have gotten some christmas palm seeds from Busch Gardens, but everyone was looking at me like I was crazy when I was jumping up and trying to pull them out of the tree. Then I noticed a line of gigantic fire ants going up the tree to the fruit and just stopped. I couldn't find any washingtonia seeds, but I did see places in the trees where the fruit used to be hanging.

Anyways, time for my question. How the heck do you get the fruit off of a queen palm seed!? The fruit is ripe. Its orange and I got it off of the ground near a queen palm. It had all fallen off of the tree. Its all stuck on the seed really good though. Is there anyway that I can dry it out without bugs getting to it, or it molding so it peels off easier? I already found two beetles inside some of my sabal seeds. I don't need anymore of that going on. What do you guys think?

Comments (3)