SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redding_gw

Biting gnats

redding
12 years ago

Jeanie, I began to answer your post in the chat thread, but stopped to see what info I could find on the web. They can go by many names. Some folks call them midges, and people in the Pacific NW call them no see-um's. Whatever they are called, they are irritating beyond belief. Unlike mosquitos, you can't even see them to swat them, and they can even get in your ears. Our ranch manager (where I worked) used to go around every year, clawing at his scalp where the things had gotten into his hair and bitten him all over the head. He hated them with a real passion.

Although they don't work their way under clothing the way that chiggers do, the bites can be equally annoying.

The Organic Gardening section of GW has a few posts about no-see'ums and biting gnats, and I found this short blurb that says you can use vinegar to attract them.

There are a lot of different kinds of the little beggars. Most people use a DEET spray, like Cutters or Deep Woods Off to repel them. I can't use it at all, so I rely on products like Bullfrog Mosquito Coast, which is DEET free when I know I'm going to be out where there's an insect convention going on.

Someone mentioned using bleach in the bath water to get rid of bites, but that would just about do me in. I also built up a serious sensitivity to chorine and have to be very careful using bleach, anywhere, any time. Bathing in it would be beyond awful.

If these are like the ones in the Sacramento Valley, they will only last a few weeks, even though it can be a very miserable few weeks. If they are different, then I can't begin to say what's attracting them or when they'll leave.

There seem to be a lot of different ones across the country. I somehow suspect what we're seeing here is linked to the intense heat we're having.

Here's a link to the vinegar page.

Pat

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting rid of gnats

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert