SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Blueberry update with pictures

scottokla
13 years ago

I wanted to give updates before now, but I have been out of town and got way behind.

The blueberries are producing very well and the taste has stayed good so far. It takes a long time to harvest them and that is really killing me trying to take care of the rest of the garden. So far we have harvested about 75 quarts and we are about 50% to 60% complete.

The Dukes have produced very well and the taste has stayed good. Not great, but at least average. The plants are somewhat unhealthy. Dukes started ripening about May 27 and will be complete by about June 15

The Berkeleys have produces very well and the taste is unique and a little above average. The plants are healthy. Berkeleys started ripening about May 27 and will be done by about June 15 just like the Dukes. I love these plants.

The Bluecrops have produced too well again, just like Duke, but the taste has been good to very good depending on the plant. The plants are a little unhealthy, but better than Duke. Bluecrops started ripening about June 1 and will be done by about June 20 or so.

The Bluerays have produced very well, and the taste is good but not as good as some of the Bluecrops IMO. The plants are mostly healthy. Bluerays started ripening about June 5 and will be done by about June 25 or so.

The Elliots are just getting ready to ripen. The plants are very healthy because they put their growth on before they fill out the berries whereas the others do most of the leaf growing once harvest is complete. One concern I have is that the plants I put in the ground in the last year that were supposed to be Elliots have already ripened most of their berries so either the young plants with only a cup or two of berries per plant ripen much earlier than older loaded plants, or the plants were labeled incorrectly when I got them. The taste is similar to Elliot and the growth pattern similar so I am hoping it is just a plant size and crop load issue.

I have some pictures below, but in summary I still like Blueray and Bluecrop about the same overall with Berkely third (although my favorite in terms of ornamental bush) and Duke and Elliot somewhere behind but still very good if you prune well. Concerning pruning, I should have listened to the experts and pruned to only have two flowering buds per shoot instead of the three or 4 that there usually are on Duke and Bluecrop. You don't lose much in terms of yield, and harvest time is cut almost in half. Plus, the large berries are very appealing to the eye.

This first one is a Duke that is halfway harvested and was overloaded.

The following one is really nice Blueray bush with a perfect crop load just before the main harvest:

This one is a nice Bluecrop cluster:

This one is a nice Blueray cluster:

The following is an Elliot that has not yet started to ripen:

Lastly, here is today's harvest of half Blueray and half Duke.

Comments (4)