SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Pulling garlic and onions

elkwc
13 years ago

Started yesterday. Looks like they will be maturing for the next 10-14 days. And the elephant could even be longer. Have pulled all of Sonoran which I planted in Jan. Just a few of the other varieties that matured faster than their siblings. So far Martins and Rosewood have been the largest bulbs. But some of my largest varieties haven't matured yet.

Still getting a few onions that have bolted. And a few that the tops have fell over and dieing. Of the ones I've pulled I don't think I'll be growing Red Candy Apple and maybe not 1015Y again. Two years in a row that I haven't got any size on Red Candy Apple Red. The jury is still out on Mars. But so far don't see a lot of size out of it either. I haven't found a red at Dixondale's that does well here since they discontinued Red Bull. I may try the California Sweet Red that Bonnies sells next spring.

Super Star shows signs of making some nice bulbs. But the tops haven't fell over yet. So thinking it will be another week or longer on them.

After my container mistake I posted about on another thread. I got to thinking about the other two plants that have stayed yellow and haven't grown well. I felt around them and they are too wet. They have been watered by the same drip hose as the rest. Guess I'll go back to watering each hole by hand. That way I can control what each plant gets. Some of the other plants will need watered before these two do. Not sure if it is the soil or something in the hose putting out more water. Another hole is also fairly wet and that plants shows some yellow also.

Typical problems you see every year. They just change. I had went to hand watering two years ago because of this same issue. But changed the type of drip hose and thought that would help. I'm using cpvc pipe with holes drilled in it on some plants so will watch how they do.

With the high heat imagine things will continue to mature fast. Jay

Comments (12)