SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecorgis

Tree Peony Turning Brown

rosecorgis
15 years ago

This year I planted a yellow tree peony in full sun in my garden in Livermore, CA. Some sites say it's zone 8, some zone 9. The site gets hot sun every summer afternoon. I dug a big hole with good drainage, then gave it bone meal in the hole. We don't get any summer rain, but it's on the drip system and gets the same dripping my roses get. This week, it started turning brown. Some branches have already dried out to the crumbly stage.

Do I have it in the wrong place? Should it get some afternoon shade since the temperatures are high (80 - 90+)? I know they hate to be moved, but it only went in this winter. Should I move it once it's dormant? Up until recently, it looked healthy. It would wilt in the heat but pop back in the evening when it cooled down. I thought heat would be ok since they grow well in the midwest, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm also planning to plant some herbaceous peonies this winter. I've bought some that are early bloomers and are supposed to do ok in my zone. Should they go in part shade?

Thanks.

Debbie

Comments (12)