SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

Squash bugs - forgive me Nature, for I have sinned

p_mac
12 years ago

Just went out tonite for the evening inspection and walk-about....and to my HORROR....my yellow summer squash and zuchs have Squash Bugs!!! Since I've scaled WAY back, I only have 2 hills of each. Of course, one of each is way more affected than the other, but that doesn't fool me into thinking they BOTH aren't infested. The plants are only about a foot high and don't even have any blooms yet because I planted late.

I paniced...and thru my white-light furry....stomped to the garage and grabbed the Sevin. I dusted the top-side and underside of every single leaf...and then I did a light dusting of the Nat'l Pickling Cukes that I'm guarding with every reserve of energy I have. These bugs weren't full-fledged adults yet. They were only about as big as a pencil lead, but mercy! They were already doing a LOT of damage!!! I only found a few eggs on the underside of a few leaves, but I'm sure there's more I couldn't see yet.

Now, I'm so remorseful. I've tried so stinkin' hard to garden organicly this year and I've had so much success so far that I guess I just snapped when these critters showed up. Ugh.....now I wish I could go out with a flashlight - wash the leaves and give the plant some other method to survive. My saving grace may be that DH was hooking up a new sprinkler. He asked what I was going to do when the water washed off the Sevin. My flippant reply was "hit them again in the morning!"....is this the only sure fire way to battle them? I've done a search of this forum as well as a google search. It all tells me that Sevin is the fastest most effective way to get & keep them under control.

Maybe I should just pull the whole plant? Re-seed somewhere else and buy at a local farmer's market in the meantime? Ugh....I feel SOOOO defeated!!!!

Surely I'm not the ONLY one to encounter these Devils yet...

Paula

Comments (41)